Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
Need advice on coming out to someone

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paradise Star Studio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:14 pm
My mother doesn't take kindly to this subject.
She states she doesn't have a problem with Gays/Lesbians but I feel telling her might end her days.

When I told her I was bisexual in 7th grade she thought it was a phase and it truly wasn't so I ended that conversation.

Then I told my aunt a few days ago I'm a lesbian and she was 150% fine with it but she told me to wait till mom was done with the stress of finishing school before telling her I'm the L word.

There's a family reunion on the 7th and my uncle and his boyfriend will be there, yes moms brother is gay and she's okay with it but I guess it can be different when its your brother than with your own child. I might tell my uncles about me coming out first and see what they say to do but I wanted others opinions too...what do you think?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 pm
Heres a way that you could approach when it comes to coming out to your mom. You can ask a family member such as your aunt or uncle to talk to your mom. You could ask them how to tell your mom, or just talk to them and say that you need some advice, that your afraid on how she will react. Coming out can be such a hard thing, but you should relax trust me after you come out if your mom is accepting thats wonderful, but if she isnt just give her some time to take it all in. You did nothing wrong anf theres nothing you could really do at the that point but to just wait. Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

KittiCat563

finfageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm
Talking to your uncle first might be a good thing. He might give you some advice on how to come out to your mother, or he might offer to actually be there for support when you talk to her (again) about it.

I hate when parents just think that being gay or bisexual is a phase, because you wouldn't make a big deal about coming out to them if it wasn't true. I surely hope she believes you soon :/ I hope things get better.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 pm
Awesome job on telling your aunt, and I'm very happy she's accepting of you!

As for telling your uncle, feel free to if you feel comfortable in confiding with him and if he won't tell your mother.

It is probably a good idea to wait until your mother is less stressed too, as your aunt said. Ask your aunt and uncle on what they think is best since they will know your mother better than any of us.

Gordums

Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff