Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am
I made a horrible, stupid, stupid mistake of stupidity and stupidness beyond any god damn stupid.

My cat has matts in her hair, really bad. I tried to give her a bath and brush them out but they are beyond that so I thought it'd be best to cut them off of her.

In the proccess I cut a big chunk of skin off. I figured she'd let me know, if I was cutting her skin off but she didn't and by the time I realized what I'd done there was already a bunch missing.

I don't know wtf to do ):

Pics:
User Image
User Image
edit:
'shaved p***y'
User Image

It keeps bleeding but no matter how much I apply pressure to it it doesn't stop. However she isnt' squirting blood so I don't know if I should mess with it or not because she doesn't realize it's there until I mess with it  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:05 am
They dont look deep so the best thing would be to sanitize and cover them with gauze. How many skin spots are missing? If it doesn't start healing or gets infected, a vet visit wouldn't be a bad idea. For now, make sure that it's sanitary and that she doesn't chew at them. Treat them like a surgical site.  

Azusanga

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 am
Azusanga
They dont look deep so the best thing would be to sanitize and cover them with gauze. How many skin spots are missing? If it doesn't start healing or gets infected, a vet visit wouldn't be a bad idea. For now, make sure that it's sanitary and that she doesn't chew at them. Treat them like a surgical site.

I can't put any gauze on her, for I don't really have any that will cover it. It's just that spot. There are no others. I did decide to take action though. I made sure to call the vet and ask questions and she told me to put hydrogen peroxide on it, and while looking online to make sure it's safe for cats I found I needed to shave the area around the wound, which I did and she now looks rather funny..
Then rinsed the wound again, and applied a bit of peroxide to it before covering it with a bandage which she promptly removed.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:18 am
iDiru
Azusanga

I can't put any gauze on her, for I don't really have any that will cover it. It's just that spot. There are no others. I did decide to take action though. I made sure to call the vet and ask questions and she told me to put hydrogen peroxide on it, and while looking online to make sure it's safe for cats I found I needed to shave the area around the wound, which I did and she now looks rather funny..
Then rinsed the wound again, and applied a bit of peroxide to it before covering it with a bandage which she promptly removed.

Do you have a cat-sized E-collar? Or does someone you know? Otherwise, a circular piece of cardboard could probably be put into action and use.  

Azusanga

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 am
Azusanga
iDiru
Azusanga

Do you have a cat-sized E-collar? Or does someone you know? Otherwise, a circular piece of cardboard could probably be put into action and use.

I don't know how nessicary it is. She doesn't seem to realize it's there until it's messed with.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 pm
Ironically, I just accidently clipped a tiny little bit outta mocho's leg. Way to curse me, Diru. It's a little moon shape, so it's not as bad.  

Azusanga

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 pm
Azusanga

I agree, it's not too deep, I've seen much worse on my own animals.

Saline is much better/safer than peroxide, although many households don't have which is why vets will say peroxide, but if you could pick up saline it would be helpful since peroxide actually destroys new tissues and will slow healing. Some sterile gauze with tape and maybe an ecollar to stop her from pulling it off just till it stops bleeding would be good.

Also, when a cat is heavily matted, it's safer/easier/faster/less stressful to just shave them. knots are in the fur but a "matt" is literally attached to the skin and so cutting it without cutting them is nearly impossible. She may have said nothing simply cause she was use to the site being painful as matts are like having someone constantly pulling on your hair.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:44 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Azusanga

I agree, it's not too deep, I've seen much worse on my own animals.

Saline is much better/safer than peroxide, although many households don't have which is why vets will say peroxide, but if you could pick up saline it would be helpful since peroxide actually destroys new tissues and will slow healing. Some sterile gauze with tape and maybe an ecollar to stop her from pulling it off just till it stops bleeding would be good.

Also, when a cat is heavily matted, it's safer/easier/faster/less stressful to just shave them. knots are in the fur but a "matt" is literally attached to the skin and so cutting it without cutting them is nearly impossible. She may have said nothing simply cause she was use to the site being painful as matts are like having someone constantly pulling on your hair.

I'm not sure if it's matted or not, really. You can kind of see them in the pics. Those weird clumps of fur and stuff.
edit
what kind or razor should I get? I'm considering just shaving her because they're horrible and her fur always has problems. Maybe if I shaved it off it would grow in better and not get all tangley and stuff...
I had a standard electric shaver because that was all I had, and she didn't mind it but it took an hour to get just that much fur off  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items