Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Media
Petition Asks Bert And Ernie To Get Married On Sesame Street

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/10/bert-ernie-gay-marriage_n_923147.html
This is just retarded rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 am
Yeah, I do think it's a bit ... stupid. It's Sesame Street, not a daytime drama; the program's audience is mostly young children. Trying to put a same-sex marriage in there (especially since there's exactly zero context for it to happen in the first place) isn't going to get anything done.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 am
I agree. It's probably the stupidest article I've read all week. I read it on another site the other day. I mean come on, this is little kids we're talking about. Probably anywhere from 2 to 6 years old. These kids are just learning their alphabet and how to read and write. They aren't going to comprehend marriage much less same-sex marriage. The petition won't make much difference anyways. Parents would have an uproar if for some reason the show allowed it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 am
The idea of it is not to create a story that children necessarily understand, but to normalize a homosexual relationship Simply through immersion. Of course, I still think it's a little preposterous though. Their current relationship teaches enough to kids as is. They live together happily despite their clear differences, their fights and the fact that they are both straight men. That (in my eyes) is even more to aspire to than simply a gay relationship.  

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
Media

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items