Submit

Mirai Maku

Intermediate Flatterer

12,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 am
Am I really the only person in the world that thought the movie wasn't bad? I mean, sure the actors were terrible and the script the actors read from was just as bad, but does that alone ruin the whole movie?

I'm much more into the aesthetics of a movie, and it had really beautiful scenery. The computer rendering was gorgeous, the settings were breath taking (especially the ice city). The clothes were very pretty, and the actors physical appearances were very close to the actual cartoon (although I've only seen a couple of episodes of it, and I really didn't like it that much).

Yet every time I say that it isn't a bad movie, people flip out. Like...praising Satan in the middle of the Vatican kind of flipping out. What's the big deal about this movie?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:57 am
Hm I suppose the fact that you didn't see the whole series explains why you don't get how peoples who did see it flip out. rolleyes  

3Rton
Crew

kikipear

Distinct Phantom

5,700 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 am
The reason for the flipping out is becasue the whole plot was off. Compared to the show, none of it was in the right order and they took a lot of the things out. Maybe due to the fact you didn't finish watching the series might be why you didn't get how people didn't like it. Watch the series than watch the movie again.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:46 pm
I'm with you Mirai. I saw the whole series, and adored it. I saw the movie and liked it.

The only thing that bugged me were the pronunciations and some less-than-savory acting.  

rahna
Vice Captain

Mirai Maku

Intermediate Flatterer

12,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:07 pm
kikipear
The reason for the flipping out is becasue the whole plot was off. Compared to the show, none of it was in the right order and they took a lot of the things out. Maybe due to the fact you didn't finish watching the series might be why you didn't get how people didn't like it. Watch the series than watch the movie again.

Why would watching the series matter? Looking at the movie as stand-alone entertainment, it wasn't a bad movie. Just because it doesn't follow along with what a fan of the series would expect shouldn't matter.

A good example of this is the Willy Wonka movie. The original movie didn't follow the book at all, and it had a lot of fans of the book very angry. Yet it had great reviews and overall it was a very good movie. The second movie was close to the book, and all of the fans were excited about it. Did it get as good of reviews? Nope, in fact the average person didn't like the movie because it was rather...weird. A little too dark at parts and too silly in others.

You can't compare a movie to a book or a series that's been going on for years. There's not enough time or money to make the movie into an exact replica of other mediums.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am
This is the way I look at it... You can spray paint a piece of poop gold, but it's still going to smell like s**t.

In other words, all the CGI mastery in the world wouldn't have saved Airbender from it's well deserved sweep of this year's Razzie awards.  

The Millenium Walken

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

The Millenium Walken

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am
And on another note, whether a movie's faithful to the original material has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it's good. I've never watched a single episode of Avatar, and I still hated Airbender. I didn't hate it because it was a godawful adaptation, I hated it because it was a godawful movie.

On the flip side, I actually watched most of the Dragonball Z series, but still liked Dragonball Evolution.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:47 pm
It makes me wonder if the director even watched the series.
It just sucked.  

Refined Envy

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

3Rton
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:42 pm
Hmmm I suppose it's about the preferences you have.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 pm
I thought it was ok, the thing that really buged me, besides the poor acting, was the way they pronounced the names.  

lunarxgirl
Crew

5,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Shaun2345678

5,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:12 am
I didn't like the movie very much. The actors didn't resemble the characters and the even pronounced the characters names wrong. I think it would have been a great movie if they hadn't changed everything.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 am
The actors didn't even look the same as in the series, the voice acting was terrible, the way the characters were portrayed was wrong, I was terribly different from the series and the script was awful. Why they thought they could turn an anime series into a non anime movie I don't know. However the scenery was breath taking and well done. It's a pity that's the only upside.  

HarlequinFromHell

rahna
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 pm
While I don't think it can hold a candle to the series it was meant to portray, I wasn't all up in arms about it either. I had more of a "...meh" outlook on things.

I can watch the movie and be perfectly content, because they tried, the actors do look a good bit like their animated counterparts, and Jackson Rathbone makes a surprisingly good Sokka. Katara's the only one I really had any kind of problem with, and even that I was able to overlook.

(When we watch it with my sister's "Rifftrax" audio, it becomes something I adore very much. It's gold with that commentary, I tell ya.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 pm
Mirai Maku
Am I really the only person in the world that thought the movie wasn't bad? I mean, sure the actors were terrible and the script the actors read from was just as bad, but does that alone ruin the whole movie?

I'm much more into the aesthetics of a movie, and it had really beautiful scenery. The computer rendering was gorgeous, the settings were breath taking (especially the ice city). The clothes were very pretty, and the actors physical appearances were very close to the actual cartoon (although I've only seen a couple of episodes of it, and I really didn't like it that much).

Yet every time I say that it isn't a bad movie, people flip out. Like...praising Satan in the middle of the Vatican kind of flipping out. What's the big deal about this movie?
i love the power but not the movie except the river spirits : the fishes.  

A Eternalsaga

Newbie Seeker

CHATTERBOX

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces