Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Childhood movies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What were some of your favorite childhood movies?
  Disney, of course!
  Westerns!
  Things with puppets!
  Space things!
  Action!
  Who am I kidding... ALL THE THINGS! 8D
  Look, man, I'm just here for the fresh poll, ok? >.>
View Results

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 pm
Recently I've been reminded of some movies that I used to adore as a small child that I haven't seen in a while - "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Dr. Doolittle" (Rex Harrison version), etc. They sort of have that classic-movie coloration, and silly antics, and elements of the fantastic, all made hazy by a beautiful patina of nostalgia that I just can't resist.

I actually went to watch "Bedknobs" on Youtube, and tried to find "Chitty", but while I found the first, the second was all taken down already. sad I don't own either of them, so I'll have to wait till I can get Netflix again and see if they're on there. ninja heart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm
I remember more TV shows. Hey Arnold. That's All That. AH! Real Monsters. Doug.

I also remember the movie that I watched where the main woman character called the main male character a p***y, and I thought she was talking about a cat. I didn't know why my mom told me to stop saying p***y. emo  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Swag Me The Fck Out

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 pm
I loved those classic 90's showed that aired on Nick and Play House Disney shows that would be on early in the mornings then comes along the Nick Jr. shows too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:52 pm
I watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks many times as a kid, I really liked that movie.

Hook and The Princess Bride I remember seeing loads of time as well as The Lion King and Aladdin.  

scrub
Crew

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 pm
I was a Disney kid. I was into all the animated musicals, had all the cassette soundtracks, had a beat up stuffed young Simba doll that I dragged around with me eeeeeeverywhere.

I was also into alot of the non-Disney animated movies I could catch on tv... Felix the Cat, Little Nemo, The Chipmunk Adventure... oh man the Chipmunk Adventure, I wanna see that again.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:19 pm
PainfullyVivid
I also remember the movie that I watched where the main woman character called the main male character a p***y, and I thought she was talking about a cat. I didn't know why my mom told me to stop saying p***y. emo

That reminds me of how when I was a kid I always called the cat a carpet muncher because she chewed the carpet. The funny thing is, I don't remember my parents saying anything. I don't think they knew the slang either. XDD;

I loved the muppet movies and Dark Crystal. Also, Princess Bride, Legend, Labyrinth, Willow... I guess I liked fantasy. I know I saw plenty of the Disney movies, but I don't really remember them.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Szen
PainfullyVivid

That reminds me of how when I was a kid I always called the cat a carpet muncher because she chewed the carpet. The funny thing is, I don't remember my parents saying anything. I don't think they knew the slang either. XDD;

I loved the muppet movies and Dark Crystal. Also, Princess Bride, Legend, Labyrinth, Willow... I guess I liked fantasy. I know I saw plenty of the Disney movies, but I don't really remember them.
Carpet muncher is a slang? *thinks about it* ah.... ah yeah, I can see how that could be e_e' I never heard it used though. .....well now I've learned something new to add to my urban vocabulary.

Your fantasy spiel reminds me that I generally liked fantasy stuff too as a kid... I say liked... I still like really :B The Neverending Story was a big fave! ...that and Neverending Story 2. I never got to the sequels though... I heard they sucked xD I somehow missed Princess Bride and Legend until I was in high school though. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm
Try urban dictionary if you dare. XD I was horrified when I found out what it meant many years later.

I forgot about Neverending Stoooooorrryyyyyyyy!  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ky Jelly

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 pm
so is it bad that i saw the second neverending story before the first one? then i read the book.

i also read princess bride.

hurray for labyrinth, dark crystal, chipmunk adventure, willow, flight of dragons

and i am totally gonna go see lion king when it rehits theatres. and be loud and obnoxious.

technically teennick is currently showing reruns of some 90s nick shows, all that, doug, kenan, and kel, and clarissa explains it all. i think some of the others can be seen online.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 pm
Junimaia
I was a Disney kid. I was into all the animated musicals, had all the cassette soundtracks, had a beat up stuffed young Simba doll that I dragged around with me eeeeeeverywhere.

I was also into alot of the non-Disney animated movies I could catch on tv... Felix the Cat, Little Nemo, The Chipmunk Adventure... oh man the Chipmunk Adventure, I wanna see that again.

Chipmunk Adventure is still on YouTube. Give it a watch and be shocked at how "sexy" the Chipettes are. Extra laughs for the blatant depiction of smoking, alcoholism, even a hangover and physical abuse between the villains! You could also wonder if there's some incest going on, because they live in the same house and uh... I dunno, there's just something creepy between those two.

(Btw, google hard enough and you can find the soundtrack. Some awesome person ripped a cassette tape and put it online!)  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 am
I don't think sexy 2d Chipettes can shock me anymore after seeing cgi butt naked fuzzballs performing Single Ladies. ...the bar has been raised. Thanks SO much for that Hollywood e_e  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:33 pm
Disney for sure. heart  

La Bijou

Swashbuckling Wench

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out