Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
It makes me feel good...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm
When someone who has never met my dog and in an instant can tell how tuned in to me Dexter is.

My older cousin came to visit and he has not met Dexter until today. My cousin has only ever had 2 dogs, and in his 40 some odd years, one of which he had to recently put down because of senior Lab medical issues. His second lab is not much longer for this world either. sad

But it amazes me that someone can pick up on how focused Dexter is on me. Especially when I don't always notice it.

He may not always be the best dog, like when he ate my recliner this afternoon, but I have recently come the the realization that my world would shatter if I didn't have my Sweet Boy with me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:23 am
Yeah, dare I say it's partly an Aussie thing? In my aussie book it says they have a "6th sense of what their owner wants" But, that only seems to be true with me. If you take the time to train your dog, you will develop a communication with him. The rest of my family has not put in the time and energy, I teach the command, and they use it. They don't really understand him like I do and vice versa. In fact, any one of my family members will call Cowboy out of my room and he'll just rudely ignore them till I tell him to get going.

P.S. Dexter is so handsome. I wish he and Cowboy could meet. Cowboy loves Aussies, he's such a racist lil snob.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 am
It must be an Aussie thing, of all the other Dogs that have been in and out of my life, there has only been one other connection like this. He was an Aussie or BC mix, not really sure.

Dexter, I don't know if he likes other Aussies, his best friend in a little female Staffy, the only other Aussie he has met since I rescued him he didn't really have much interest in. We have a play date set up for next month for his first Gotcha Day with a couple of Aussies and a Staffy, so hopefully he will play with them then.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:06 am
Whiskey On A Sunday
It must be an Aussie thing, of all the other Dogs that have been in and out of my life, there has only been one other connection like this. He was an Aussie or BC mix, not really sure.

Dexter, I don't know if he likes other Aussies, his best friend in a little female Staffy, the only other Aussie he has met since I rescued him he didn't really have much interest in. We have a play date set up for next month for his first Gotcha Day with a couple of Aussies and a Staffy, so hopefully he will play with them then.

Your in florida right? There's a possibility I'm coming this year for a conference. Prob won't be able to bring Cowboy though, cause even if I do drive he would be pretty miserable in a car for so long. Plus the parasites there that he's not treated for...  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Azusanga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm
Whiskey On A Sunday

He may not always be the best dog, like when he ate my recliner this afternoon, but I have recently come the the realization that my world would shatter if I didn't have my Sweet Boy with me.

I misread that as "When he ate my retainer this afternoon" and I became worried there xd

But I really know what you mean, people always noticed how Kayda would loosely perform tricks for them but would always put complete attention on me, and would be satisfied with a little crumble of cheese or the like.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:33 pm
when i lived with my dad people said that about me and bear since i was always the one who worked with her and the only one who stayed consistant with her training

so far stowrm is horrible at giving me her undivided attention, she gets distracted so easily  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Whiskey On A Sunday

Your in florida right? There's a possibility I'm coming this year for a conference. Prob won't be able to bring Cowboy though, cause even if I do drive he would be pretty miserable in a car for so long. Plus the parasites there that he's not treated for...

Where is the conference being held? We could possibly meet up and you can get your Aussie fix with Dexter. lol

Shanna66
when i lived with my dad people said that about me and bear since i was always the one who worked with her and the only one who stayed consistant with her training

so far stowrm is horrible at giving me her undivided attention, she gets distracted so easily

Dexter knows his manners and a few select tricks, but will not even sit for anyone but me. He complete ignores their commands. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:17 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
"6th sense of what their owner wants" .

My girl totally has that, she's always aware of what I want. Too bad she generally doesn't give a stuff unless it also directly benefits her, lmao. rofl

@Whisky; It is nice when people recognise the effort you've put into establishing a good relationship with your dog. Taller Half went into the grocer's yesterday and I waited outside on a seat with Rushie and did a bit of clicker training just to pass the time and to work on getting on her to focus on me in public...just fairly standard stuff like sit, shake, look at me, spin around, make a sound. Then I heard this lady talking on her mobile telling someone that 'there's this lady with an amazing dog that can do all these things, it's so obedient that she must be a professional dog trainer!' and I almost laughed because Rushie is so headstrong and self serving. She just doesn't want to please me the way that herding breeds want to please their owners- everything I teach her has to be carefully disguised as being completely for her benefit, and I don't always achieve that. But then I realised that most people around here struggle to teach their dogs to even sit so that in comparison Rushie must have looked like a circus dog.  

Skeksis

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm
I think I have that with sparky, though not with deedee. He's so tuned into me, that he must know my footsteps or something, because when I get out of bed, he already knows I'm up before I even walk out of the room, even if he is outside.

He always does tricks best with me. Probably because I'm the one that trains him and gives rewards  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games