Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
CAT-Help. Am I doing something wrong?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 pm
I have two cats. Suki & Hiro. We had Suki first but because she was was scratching all the wallpaper off we got her a buddy, Hiro.

Hiro is like.. a dream cat. - Don't get me wrong. I love them both.

He's funny, loves to cuddle. No problems with him.

Suki has always been the wallpaper-scratcher. I don't know why she does it (boredom, attention I think). But ever since we got a bigger (It's huge) scratching pole they can climb on and sleep in the scratching wasn't that bad anymore.

But she meows a lot. It's like she wants to play. She does it especially when we go right to bed. She has slept all day, but right when we go to bed she decides to be a pain in the a**. Meowing a lot and scratching the walls. Turns out she wants to play. I think...

And we got a shitload of toys. But she wants our attention. Hiro usually comes by to take a look. And wants to play along as well. And that is exactly when Suki stops playing. It's like she doesn't want him to play along.

She even has several toys Hiro is not allowed to touch or Suki will hiss/growl at her. Or when he steals her toys away during playing. I love to play with the both of them, but this is frustrating. For either me and the cats.

Just like when Suki is sleeping and Hiro wants some warm and love and lays next to her. Suki walks away and it's like she gets pissed off that Hiro has taken her place. - While she was the one that walked away.

Or when Hiro has taken her place high in the scratching pole. It's not big enough for two cats to sleep on. That's when she also starts meowing. I've been thinking for another big scratching pole, but we don't have space for that.

I always wanted them to be close together. So Suki had a buddy she could rely on when we're gone (or gone to bed). They do "Wrestle" together, and tease each other. Chasing each others tail and stuff. It's really funny to see. And how Hiro tries to imitate Suki's climbing skills.

But I got the feeling that something is bothering Suki. And I can't figure out what it is. At night when she meows it looks like she wants to play. But it too lazy to move her butt. She is sprayed, so that couldn't be the problem... Right? She isn't hungry, food at those moments don't interest her. I know when she is hungry.

I don't play much with her during the day. Because that is when she is asleep or being lazy up high in the scratching post. I tried playing with her during the day, but that is when Hiro wants to join, and I feel bad for locking him up so he can't play along.

Suki doesn't like to be pet either, compared to Hiro who lóóóves to be pet. She sweeps a lot with her tail. I don't know. Anyway, I'm wandering off.

I don't necessarily want my gets to become super close. But long story short > Why won't they play with each other?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 am
While my cats will wrestle and chase each other, they don't play with toys together, and they don't snuggle at all. Closest they get is both sitting in the doorway watching the birds on the deck. So while they get along, they're not really the closest friends. Which I guess is all I can ask for. It's better than them still hating each other.

Kitty meows when she wants attention, whether it's for food or loving. Tora meows to hear his own voice sometimes. If he loses you, he meows. If he wants food, he meows. If you come home, he meows. If he wants to play, he'll tackle your leg. xd If he wants your attention he'll meow.

I guess Suki is wanting your attention. Oh, look, you're in bed and not doing anything important, so obviously you must need to spend time with her instead of sleep.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 am
There are some very rare moments they lay next to each other, and their licking each others head.

But as soon as Suki knows I'm all "aaaawe"-ing over them she leaves. lol

I tried to spend more time with her today. But all she does is walking away when I try to pet her. Nor seems she interested in playing as soon as Hiro wants to join in.

Maybe things will change when she gets older.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:01 pm
Sounds like Suki just wants some one on one human attention. My cat is exactly the same, and if you picture them as being human children, then it's not so odd. You can give a child loads of toys but they want interaction, and they might like to play with a sibling, but siblings can get annoying and they mostly want you. My dog gets really really jealous when I play with my cat, he wants to join in, but, as cruel as it seems, I try to keep him in a separate room during Rascal's one on one time. Preferably where he won't see what's going on so he won't get jealous. And then he gets his own one on one time.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:59 am
True, If you compare Suki to a child, then it's not so odd, no.

Well, I have to admit, that before I went to bed I managed to play with Suki. I did had to stand on a chair as she was sitting high in the scratching post.

But on that platform only one cat can sit so Hiro couldn't really play a long.
And she did not meow anymore. surprised
So I guess I found out a way to play with her without Hiro wanting to join in.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Cats are solitary by nature, so some cats just don't take to having another feline friend to play with. Sounds like there's no aggression, so there's no problem with having two cats, but Hiro just may not be Suki's cup of tea. I would play with her before bed time and try to tire her out so she'll let you sleep.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:55 am
That was my plan as well. It works, sometimes.

Thanks tho. c:  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 am
yeah i think she just wants more of your attention rather than another cat at the time.i used to hav 3 cats but 2 had 4 kittens so we to giv thm away but we kept 1 and now he needs our attention ALL the time even when theres other cats they just look at him and hisses.he never does anything to them not to mention hes HUGE but not fat,so that doznt help either.so i think she just wants your attention.  

miss rae123

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 am
We bought a laserpointer a while ago. I was pretty sure Suki would live it. And she does. She likes it so much that she can't wait till we go to bed, and if we're watching a movie late in the evening she starts meowing and demanding she wants the laserpointer. Its great to watch her play, its hilarious. And I am glad sge likes it. Even though she wants to play with it every minute of the day. Not to mention, she knows where we hide it. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm
Dianda Panda
We bought a laserpointer a while ago. I was pretty sure Suki would live it. And she does. She likes it so much that she can't wait till we go to bed, and if we're watching a movie late in the evening she starts meowing and demanding she wants the laserpointer. Its great to watch her play, its hilarious. And I am glad sge likes it. Even though she wants to play with it every minute of the day. Not to mention, she knows where we hide it. lol

lolz!! that is true. They love chasing things....  

angelbankai45

Friendly Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Voter 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:50 pm
angelbankai45
Dianda Panda

lolz!! that is true. They love chasing things....

She made that very obvious! 3nodding  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff