My rats are infested with bugs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm
I dont know what they are. They are kind of like ticks looking. I think they fly or jump really fast idk they are really tiny and hard to see but they are biting my rats.

I was going through their fur and picking out blackish things. I only did a couple because it seemed to bother them alot so I wasn't sure if I was pulling scabs off or bugs.

anyways. this sucks. I hope they won't spread to the rest of my animals.

I am keeping them in the bathroom in the bathtub. (in their cage obviously)

Planning on going to the vet if it doesn't improve with the medication my girlfriend is giving me from her rats when her rats had mites/parasites.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:08 pm
From the sound of it, they're fleas. Unfortunately, fleas will usually go from one animal to another, and even in the carpets. They could hitch a ride on you (or even decide to bite you) and then find their way onto your other animals. If you have any animals that are allowed to go outside at all, that's probably how they got inside and on your rats. They could have also hitched a ride on you and then found your rats (this is how indoor-only animals typically get fleas)... Once they're inside the house, they're a pain to get rid of... >.< They (and any other furred animals you have) will probably need many flea baths, the carpeting getting flea powdered, vacuumed, and steamed many times, and repeated as many times as necessary until they are gone. >.<

This is an enlarged picture of a flea (they are very tiny) and look like tiny black moving specks that can jump really far.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah dude, sounds like fleas to me. You really shouldn't give your pets medicine that was intended for a different pet without a vet confirmation that it's the same condition, just like you shouldn't share your meds with another person.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games