Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am
So now that my betta is in the new tank I figured I'd show some pics of him. Now after having him for about ...a year? I realized he hasn't ever been named... So I'm looking for name suggestions.
I selectively name my fish...Some get names, some don't. For instance, shadow the ghost knife (rip ghost knife) rope the rope fish (rip rope fish) and Dumb-a** the stupid a** iridescent shark in my tank that killed the first two fish. (I know the fish isn't really stupid, just relying on instincts to stupidly flee when frightened and slam into other fish/walls every time a pin drops, but that fish pisses me off and I'd be rid of it by now if I could. Actually it is probably stupid by now with all the damage it's caused to it's self...)
Anyway, here's some betta pics.
User Image
User Image
User Image
His fins still seem messed up, but they have been. He was in a tank with very soft plants and it still stayed like that...I'm not sure if the other plants are doing damage because they do seem pretty soft...

And he still has his eye problem but it's not getting worse, so, hopefully it will continue to ..not get worse.

As for tank mates I'm having a hard time deciding because there's a lot of small fish I like, but it's a 10 gallon tank...

Someone suggested Endlers and I thought about getting one, if they're not schooling fish. I've got my eye on glass catfish but I know they ARE schooling fish and will die of depression if not in company of others. Is there a minimum you can have of glass catfish?

Then I probably need to find one of those incredibly expensive tiny plecostomus for the sake of tank cleaning.

Then there are corycats. They're ridiculously adorable and I want one.

But I'm afraid of overwhelming my tank. Any suggestions..?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:51 am

Glass cats get too big. I personally wouldn't do corys in a 10g unless you can get the pygmys. Corys school and most of them get to around 2 1/2-3", there's just not enough floor space for a decent school. There are a quite a few species of pleco that stay small, but you need to be consistent with your water changes because though they may be small, they produce a lot of waste. Don't get both corys and a pleco, 10g is too small for that as they're both bottom dwellers.

What I would do in this tank: You already have a betta, so he's your center piece fish. I would add one type of mid-level schoolers, something that stays small like neon tetras. Then I would choose a bottom dweller such as a small pleco or cory species. Though with this type of set up, you need to make sure you do a decent water change every week, because it's a bit on the heavy side for bioload.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:26 am
For my betta, I got him a frog and two cories. Him and the cories used to play together. He'd go down and bump into them, then while he was napping they'd swim up and bump him. The frog just kinda was there. Noone cared about the frog.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 pm
kage no neko
For my betta, I got him a frog and two cories. Him and the cories used to play together. He'd go down and bump into them, then while he was napping they'd swim up and bump him. The frog just kinda was there. Noone cared about the frog.

Frog story made me laugh.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm
He's a gorgeous betta! He appears to be a crowntail, and if he is, his fins are supposed to look jagged. smile They do still appear to be a little messed up, even then, particularly his tail fin. If you have a filter, could the filter be sucking in his tail a bit? I'd also suggest putting some Slime Coat in the tank to help his fins grow back. smile As for name, not sure. I had to get help to name my betta, Patriot. lol If I think of a nice name, I'll be sure to post the suggestion. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
He's a gorgeous betta! He appears to be a crowntail, and if he is, his fins are supposed to look jagged. smile They do still appear to be a little messed up, even then, particularly his tail fin. If you have a filter, could the filter be sucking in his tail a bit? I'd also suggest putting some Slime Coat in the tank to help his fins grow back. smile As for name, not sure. I had to get help to name my betta, Patriot. lol If I think of a nice name, I'll be sure to post the suggestion. biggrin

he is confirmed to be a crown tail but his front fin..part of it bends forward and that weirds me out.
But for a while he was in one of those betta tanks, which was when his fins got messed up, and there was no filter in there so I don't think it was that.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:07 pm
iDiru
CrissAngelLover12345

he is confirmed to be a crown tail but his front fin..part of it bends forward and that weirds me out.
But for a while he was in one of those betta tanks, which was when his fins got messed up, and there was no filter in there so I don't think it was that.

Ah, it might be some kind of permanent damage. He might have ended up damaging it swimming around in the small space he was in. It kind of looks like he's always pointing at something, though lol. As long as it doesn't appear to be bothering him, he should be ok. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:07 am

The fin damage is probably fin rot, which happens in those betta death traps because there's no way to really keep the water clean enough unless you change it twice a day.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:18 am
Vanilla eXee

The fin damage is probably fin rot, which happens in those betta death traps because there's no way to really keep the water clean enough unless you change it twice a day.

would he still have fin rot..? he's in clean water  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 pm
iDiru
Vanilla eXee

would he still have fin rot..? he's in clean water

Continue to keep the tank impeccably clean. That means at least 1 hefty water change a week, but really it'd be best if you do more while he's healing, you don't want it to get infected. Make sure to watch for signs of it getting worse.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items