Rat Proofed!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm
It's passed midnight, but I feel like sharing this now... I spent a good 2-3hrs working on this. First off, I did a big clean out of my room. Everything is now organized and neatly put away. So that should make it easy to find the vermin. I swept everywhere except for one stash I know of but is nearly impossible to get too. Will get down on my stomach and reach back there tomorrow when I do the finishing touches of washing everything.

Once that was done, I got to work on the wires. Here's the kit I bought at the fish store:
User Image
It was absolutely perfect! Be it baby/kitten/puppy or vermin proofing, or just organizing. I highly recommend this kit. Cost me $15 Cdn.

First, the most common place the girls hang out. Behind their cage. These wires I often pull up and rest on the night table. A couple times though I heard/caught Blaze pulling them down. And tonight I DID find chew marks on one of them. gonk
User Image
(rat cage has been pulled out so you can see the wall)
User Image

The kit comes with 4 of these adhesive clips, which stick quite nicely to the wall.
User Image

So here is the after photo.
User Image

Since this is a high traffic area, and Blaze can scale walls. I'm gona buy an extra tube and cover them as well as having them up off the ground.

Next I covered the TV, even though they never hang out back there. I forgot to take a before pic. But basically I took all the wires from the bottom hole out, and fed everything through the top hole so that nothing was within ratty reach.
User Image

This is when I realized my TV has it's own clips. So I clipped the only loose wire to it.
User Image

Then, it was time to tackle the messy affair that was my desk! (where the accident happened)
User Image

Now these wires were neatly tucked out of sight, but, they were still on ground level and as you can see there's quite a few. Being out of sight was worse cause I never would have noticed the damage.
User Image

What I did was unplug everything! I just started fresh. My comp screen and comp, I allot the furthest left spots of the power bar. So they are hidden behind the left cabinet. The rest of the power bar is for everything to do with the tank, since the bar is upside down and elevated, it allows for drip loops. The extention is for lamp, picture fram and cam charger.

The left cords, were easily pulled way out of reach with another adhesive clip.

The lower extention cord, I realized, I could pass through the hole in the right cabinet. Originally designed for my tv and ps2 it was meant to hide wires.
User Image

This shelf is pretty inaccesible to rats. But I might try to do something about these all the same. Maybe cover them with a tube.
User Image
I took that photo from a very low angle. If you are more than 3 feet tall you don't see any of that messyness.

Next up was the tank.
User Image

The kit comes with a "router" That adheres to a corner of the tank. So I had to put all wiring on one side. I chose the side at the edge of the desk, so it would be easy to access. Though I'm not sure the light wire will reach when it is fixed. Worst case I'll switch it.
User Image

So, with the tank wires neatly tucked in this router, I then tucked all those wires in this lovely tubing. It's a nice tight seal too, I really had to shove them in there one by one.
User Image
As for that little spot where they are somewhat exposed. I'm going to o fix that when I trim the router to fit my tank. Since it's a bit big.

Kit also came with these lovely stickers. No more wondering which one is which lol. Cause I was getting frustrated with that.
User Image

So now for the before and afters!!!

Desk
Before:
User Image

After:
User Image
(keep in mind this is under the desk, you normally only notice the bottom two.

Before:
User Image

After:
User Image

Tank
Before:
User Image

After:
User Image
(The black in the background is the tube, the clear is the air. Yes they could damage it, but at least they wouldn't hurt themselves. Oh, and the white thing is a cardboard holding the filter at an appropriate angle.)

I have these lil jailbird faces. But it's quite late now, and I still want to wash the floor etc and do a last once over of the place. Then I will begin letting them out again under a**l supervision.
User Image

Wow, this thread took longer than expected. Comp was being annoyingly slow, ugh, waking up for class is gona suuucckk. Well I documented all this cause I plan to make a write up about safety and baby proofing and what not. So let me know what you think.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:25 pm
WOW that looks really GREAT!  

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:00 pm
That looks amazing! It's really sweet how much you love your rats. heart I'm so glad that Aida seems to be okay so far.

I think I might need to look into doing something similar when I get the funds. My boyfriend would be very happy about this, because he's always worried about the rats chewing the wires. I don't let them run around where there are wires, however, Aries chewed through the base one night and got out. She didn't chew anything, but she could have. Even if it wouldn't make chewing impossible, it'd make it harder. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm
That looks much better now than what it used to! They shouldn't be able to play with/chew on the cords any longer. biggrin

I might do something similar to try to keep Charcoal from playing with the cords. She hasn't yet, but there's always a first time. I dunno how I'll be able to hide the cords, but I might be able to find some kind of tubing to put over the cords. I have one hell of a mess of cords where my fish tank AND turtle tank stuff plug into, along with other things like DSI charger and cell phone charger and no way to really hide them... I also need labels, I'm also tired of which one is this accessory, which one is that one, and having to play follow the tangled cords to figure it out lol.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm
Thanks guys, I actually bought another few feet of tubing for just 4 bucks. I'll check what it's called, I picked it up in the electrical isle at home depot. I went crraazzyyy with it. Lots of new pics. And yup, there is a first time for everything. I learned the hard way.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:21 pm
Wow! way to get things under control! I need to do that. The gliders don't really have a chewing issue (though they do think they need to stick tongues and fingers into sockets to check for bugs, so I have those plug covers they sell in the baby section), but it would just look a lot nicer. I have SO many cords all over the walls and floors from fish pumps and lights plus even more with all the under tank heaters and lights for the lizards, frogs, and crabs.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:07 pm
This is the tubing I bought for the wires. It's not the thickest available. You can find tubing for garden hoses and such in the plumbing area that's really thick. However it's not as flexible. You'd have to cut the slit yourself and shoving the wires in might be harder. The way I see it, if one of them up and decides to chew it, it will take them that much longer to get down to the wire. The majority of my wires are now out of reach. So as long as I check these periodically we should be fine.
User Image

I used the new tubing I bought to cover up the items on my desk and night table.
User Image

User Image

I put more tubing on this still since this was taken so there's literally no exposed wires AND they're out of reach.
User Image

Aida's wuvs her big brother heart
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 pm
It looks even nicer! The last picture is really cute! biggrin

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out to look for wire tubing. I am definitely tired of looking at the tangled mess of cords I have lol, and hoping Charcoal doesn't get any "bright" ideas to play with them in the mean time. I know Bandit won't play with them ever since he tried to chew on the vacuum cord while it was plugged in back when he was a puppy and going through that chew everything phase. Thankfully he didn't get badly hurt (in fact, didn't appear to be hurt at all, just, startled). He never chewed on another cord since (about a few weeks to a month before he did that, he chewed all the way through my dad's laptop power cord, thankfully while it was unplugged).  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff