Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Lychee got a tablet!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So, those tablets...
  I live or die by mine.
  I use mine often.
  Mine's covered in dust.
  Don't have one, but I'd like one.
  Don't have one, don't want one.
View Results

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:04 am
I love watercolors, but using them exclusively has held me back professionally and artistically. I've known that ever since I began using them, and always wanted to learn how to work with a tablet. A friend hooked me up with her old Bamboo, and now.... well, I don't know a thing about digital painting! What frustrates me most is opacity and blending. Got any tips or tuts to share with me, guys~? heart

Mini-rant: Also, man, I know they don't mean to, but a few people are being insensitive about the whole thing. "Why would you do digital art? Don't sell out!" "Real artists don't use a computer to paint for them!" I'm already feeling insecure, I don't need that! >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 am
My advice, if you're using Photoshop, is to do everything with the paintbrush tool, and ignore all the other tools' existence. I think that using any of the other tools is what makes digital art look like it was done on a computer. The brush tool has a lot of flexibility, and you can create your own texture brushes, adjust flow, etc. If you use Painter, it has settings which mimic traditional media. I know a lot of traditional artists prefer it for that reason.

The opacity thing is really frustrating. Whenever something happens that causes my settings to reset, I nearly rip my hair out trying to figure out how I had it. You'd think I'd learn, and write down the settings or something. xp I'm not on my work computer, but I think I have both opacity and flow set around 20, and the opacity set to vary with pen pressure. I can look up my exact settings if you want, but you probably want to play with them yourself to find what works for you.

And screw art snobs. People were the same way about digital cameras, and now pretty much all professionals use them. It's not as if you haven't already proven yourself with traditional media, which is more than many digital artists can say.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am
I'd share tips but I'm getting re-aquainted with Photoshop after abandoning srs digital drawings for like years. So I'm like at the same spot you are cause I don't remember nothin' xD Except for maybe the fact that layers are mah buddy. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm
my advice is to download "Easy Paint Tools Sai" it's free and a chinese program, but a quick search on Youtube will show you how to install and change it to english.

I find it to be a better program for drawing in, it has better pressure sensitivity and more tools. There are a lot of good tutorials on DA too for using it, and the blur tool is lovely for shading.

i still use photoshop for somethings but i do most of the drawing in Sai.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items