Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Theres An App...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 pm
That Helps You Find Out If Your Son Is Gay.
I Find It Rather Silly
But Heres The Link To Sign.

Umm...If Im Violating Anything...Feel Free To Delete This Thread Or Just Block It sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 am
Some of those questions seriously pissed me off. "Are you divorced?" "Does he have a complicated relationship with his father?" It's implying that homosexuality is some sort of disorder caused by trauma in early childhood.  

Atrum_Anima

Art Greylace

Dapper Cutie-Pie

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 am
I immediately signed that petition.

Gods, that's ridiculous. stuff like that shouldn't exist.

-On the other hand-

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but- all in all, it is just a little quiz-app. No parent is actually going to take it seriously and neither should anyone else.

Same as the quiz-app that tells you whether you're destined to be with someone based on their name.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 am
lmao, ive seen that. its one of the funniest things ive ever seen. anyone who believes any of those questions determine if someone is gay is an idiot and deserved to be tricked out of their money

i imagine there are a few parents with a good sense of humor that are anwering those questions and getting a good laugh with their gay sons  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm
Lmao, that's rediculous. It reminds me of some sort of segment on Family Guy or American Dad or Seth MacFarlane's Calvacade of Cartoons(I don't watch any of those shows, but I stumbled upon a clip of it on YouTube one time)
One of them said if a man is asked "What's your favorite Madonna album?" and answers anything other than "I've never owned one", then that man is gay.
Another one said something like if they have slugs in their blood then they're gay or something.
I swear to God, Seth MacFarlane cartoons are so anti-gay. At least the Simpsons was a little simpathatic when Marge's sister came out as a lesbian.

Anyway, back to the app. It's laughable. Who would really believe that? Haven't they heard of "metrosexual"? rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Lmao, that's rediculous. It reminds me of some sort of segment on Family Guy or American Dad or Seth MacFarlane's Calvacade of Cartoons(I don't watch any of those shows, but I stumbled upon a clip of it on YouTube one time)
One of them said if a man is asked "What's your favorite Madonna album?" and answers anything other than "I've never owned one", then that man is gay.
Another one said something like if they have slugs in their blood then they're gay or something.
I swear to God, Seth MacFarlane cartoons are so anti-gay. At least the Simpsons was a little simpathatic when Marge's sister came out as a lesbian.

Anyway, back to the app. It's laughable. Who would really believe that? Haven't they heard of "metrosexual"? rofl

I wouldn't say that Seth MacFarlane is anti-gay. For one thing, the Family Guy episode those cutaways were in was pro gay marriage, with the episode centred around Brian's cousin marrying his boyfriend.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:11 pm
Shilberu Erikku
Sunshine Peach-Heart

I wouldn't say that Seth MacFarlane is anti-gay. For one thing, the Family Guy episode those cutaways were in was pro gay marriage, with the episode centred around Brian's cousin marrying his boyfriend.

Like I said, I wouldn't really know, I don't watch the show, but I just found that joke to be in poor taste. I mean, WE GET IT. MADONNA IS A GAY ICON. NOW STOP MAKING GAY JOKES ABOUT HER MALE FANS AND ALL THAT CRAP. And what the hell was up with the slugs in a gay guy's blood? Or something like that. Old joke is old. Give it a rest.

Besides, my dad is familar with Madonna's work, I wouldn't say he's a hardcore fan or anything, but he knows who she is and what she sings. But he also likes other LGBT artists, like Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, and Elton John, and my father is NOT gay. So why should people assume just because you're a male and you like/are familiar with Madonna that you're gay? It's stupid.

Maybe South Park is the show I'm thinking of that's homophobic....  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 pm
I read about that app. I really hope that google looks at all the people signing the various petitions out there and removes it.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Tigerofdespair

4,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am
Signed. Things like this are not needed. One cannot find out if another is gay by asking silly questions such as if they like football games or musicals. The only question that would be able to find out is to ask if they are sexually attracted to men. Things like this are going to add to stereotypes, discrimination and more isolation -.-. Even if it's meant only in jest some people will believe it to be true and that enjoying certain things means you're gay when in actuality all people of different personalities can be gay, be it a football player or an actor.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 am
i signed it

that thing should be banned cuz it really is gonna create some tension within the families and homophobic feelings elsewhere...

on a side note, my best friends were girls, i LOVE musical comedies, and i DONT like football or read the sports page in the newspaper xp  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:34 pm
I don't see the point in calling for it to be removed/banned. For one thing, it sounds like it's supposed to be a joke, and for another, do we really need to ban every single thing that is potentially offensive? No one in their right mind would take such a thing seriously, so why the need for a petition? Did I miss something? Is it calling for all gays to be lynched or something? At best, it's a joke, and at worst, it's stupid.

Sunshine Peach-Heart

Seth MacFarlane's cartoons are not anti-gay. They treat every subject with irreverence. :/ I don't see why the gay community should be exempt, since no one else is.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 pm
Taeryyn
I don't see the point in calling for it to be removed/banned. For one thing, it sounds like it's supposed to be a joke, and for another, do we really need to ban every single thing that is potentially offensive? No one in their right mind would take such a thing seriously, so why the need for a petition? Did I miss something? Is it calling for all gays to be lynched or something? At best, it's a joke, and at worst, it's stupid.

Sunshine Peach-Heart

Seth MacFarlane's cartoons are not anti-gay. They treat every subject with irreverence. :/ I don't see why the gay community should be exempt, since no one else is.

Lol true... I wouldn't really know though. I don't watch any of McFarlane's stuff. :/  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm
The only reason there is a real outcry about this is because people are taking this seriously. I don't see anything offensive about this app. It just seems really stupid to me, almost as stupid as bitching about it. Sure, it gets its facts wrong about homosexuality, but why should that be banned? If people don't take it seriously, then it shouldn't be too bad.

People are too high-strung as soon as someone says something that can be construed as anti-gay. Eg the Family Guy example that Sunshine Peach-Heart put here. I saw that clip; it seems like a bit of satire based on stereotypes and the accusation that gays are inhuman.

I ask you, would the reaction be same if there was an app saying that straight people are sexual deviants that breed and breed and breed until the earth is so overpopulated that it crumbles? (I'm sorry for the horrible analogy, that was the best I could think of. :/)  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games