Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:25 pm
Okay, this is kind of a rant...
I'm trying to train this dog not to jump, which I posted about here asking for advice. I've been ignoring her when she jumps until she calms down and it's half way working, but everyone else keeps ignoring me when I tell them to just ignore her when she jumps on them.
She jumps on me significantly less now, but she's still jumping on other people.
They keep doing the whole push her down and yell 'down'. My mom was even like 'WELL YOU HAVE TO SAY DOWN'.
Ugh.
discuss
stuff like that
I feel kind of like victoria stilwell when she goes and tries to train a dog and the owners don't cooperate.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm
Hahaha... sigh. I know how that goes. My sister has a half golden retriever who CAN be amazing. I took her for a walk once.. my sister saying "be careful, she likes to pull!" and she didn't pull at all for me.

She jumps on people when they walk in. She's not a small dog at all, so I see it as a problem. I did what I've read and I took her paws removed them from me, then turned around to ignore her. My sister, ffs... she told me that's mean.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

~ Aki - Fairy ~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 pm
I feel the same way with our dogs..

Bella's mine, so she's always been primarily my responsibility, but if mum's home and I'm not, it'd be nice for her to keep up with similar treatment and enforce the rules I set (more of an issue when she was a puppy and learning - mum was usually too busy on facebook to really keep an eye on her, thus she'd get into trouble).
Zoe is mum's dog, but my charge. I feed her, play with her, am the one that trained her her basic commands, etc.. She rarely gets groomed, because she's always been fearful of the brush (not sure why), and I haven't been able to work on it with her; mum buys brushes 'just for her' and yet never uses them..

Mum gives the dogs a bit of attention, lets them in and out, will fill the water if it's empty, and only feeds them when I haven't done so and ask her to (which is good for preventing double-feedings, but she's going to have to learn to feed Zoe on her own).

Mum's approach (to dealing with barking and pulling) is the yell/yank on the leash thing. Obviously it's not working so well, because they still have the bad habits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:45 pm
My parents think my whole thing about positive reinforcment is crap and they say its not working. Well duh, they undo my training, and refuse to give the method a chance.

I live with smacking, yelling owners who think my methods a bs, when their own methods do not work at all. I have gotten them to stop believing inthe dominance theory though, so hopefully I can work on them  

DeeSpark

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 am
I definitely know how you feel. I'm trying to train Bandit (my dog) not to beg, and I'm the only one trying to teach him (my mom's also trying to help, but from what I've seen, she's not totally consistent). My dad's like "He's just doing what dogs do" and "I'm just ignoring him". I know he and my brother will absentmindedly hand him something when he's begging (I've seen them do so...), so, I'm stuck with making a rule that if ANYONE eats ANYTHING at ANY TIME, Bandit is to go into his crate until they are done eating (particularly if it's my dad and/or brother) since I don't want him to have ANY human food unless it's approved by me and handed to him by me (they hand out stuff that is harmful to them for the most part, rarely is it something that is actually good for them) and because I cannot get them to cooperate in training him to not beg.

We've also been trying to train Country (my parents' dog) not to pull for years, as well as not to jump on us when we pull the leash out. Every time we got somewhere with the training and were just starting to get him to cooperate, my dad or brother would get the leash out and/or walk him and reverse all the training we had done (he would go right back to all the old behaviors, my dad reinforced the unwanted behavior because he thought it was cute and because "it's what dogs do" and my brother doesn't even care and will let Country do what ever he wants to do...>.<)... >.< I hardly ever walk him any more because I can't stand the behavior and have just about given up thanks to them... I don't let anyone other than myself and my mom walk Bandit because I know she'll walk him the way I want him walked and continue with my training. With my dad and brother, they'd undo all the training and make me have to mostly to completely start over...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 am
My parents did that with our dog. It used to make me so mad when I would train her to do things and they would undo it. Usually, they would give her the command, and then treat her regardless if she actually did it or not. Mixed signals much? Especially with a border collie, since they tend to need firm and exact standards for training.

So then Hollie got into the habit of either half-assing the command or sitting there giving me sad, soulful eyes trying to get the treat anyways. Nuh-uh, not going to fly with me. I made her do the command all the way like I knew she could before she could get the treat. The funny part is when she literally groaned exasperatedly about having to do it. xd

Also, they still don't realize how the old-school way of housebreaking can mess up your dog's potty habits. Hollie was still occasionally having accidents well into adulthood, until I realized that she was that way because of how my parents trained her and worked to undo that training. She hasn't had potty problems since then. However, both of my brother's dogs have problems.

I've tried to recommend crate training to my brother, since it goes hand in hand with housebreaking, but my dad absolutely refuses to crate any dogs in his home. He thinks it's cruel-- which it can be, if you throw them in there all day and never take it out-- but he refuses to see how it can be helpful when done properly. :/  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

ZevrTryx Syrei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 pm
Ah yeah, my parents are also terrible with animals and refuse to train theirs.

I'm so glad I live with my boyfriend, who shares the same views I do about training... it would drive me nuts to have to live with someone who argued or undid my training. neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:59 pm
Aish, I remember trying to train Finna not to jump on people. emotion_facepalm The owners should help train the dog, not just you.

When I was a part time dog trainer, it really frustrated me when people undid my training. Especially when they argued. It annoyed the crap out of me! But some people were nice enough not to undo the training and actually agree with my training.  

Vanilla Acoustic

Fatcat

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:46 pm
ZevrTryx Syrei
Ah yeah, my parents are also terrible with animals and refuse to train theirs.

I'm so glad I live with my boyfriend, who shares the same views I do about training... it would drive me nuts to have to live with someone who argued or undid my training. neutral

It's driving me crazy living with 2 people who undo training and refuse to cooperate with training new things due to a combination of not caring and having the mind set that the behavior is simply something dogs do. >.< It's one of the varying reasons I'm in a hurry to move out, so that way I don't have to deal with that with training Bandit...  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games