Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Cis people: would you date someone genderqueer?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biblical Unicorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 am
I apologise if someone has asked this question before, I had a quick look and couldn't find it, but I didn't spend that long looking.

Two of my gay male friends are dating FtMs and tonight another gay friend said "well that's not really gay, it's more like bisexuality."

Understandably, my friends and their (FtM) boyfriends got offended, and I thought it was rude as well, but while it was worded...badly to say the least, it's a common enough issue. I've been dumped by a gay guy when I came out to him about being genderqueer (I'm male bodied, but bigendered and present as female half the time) because he said "I'm gay, not into chicks, even part time ones."

So, would you, as a cis gay male or lesbian, date a trans* or genderqueer person? Do you consider them to be "real" men/women? Even if they were pursuing hormones/surgery, would you be able to look past the present state of their body?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:13 am
I dated two girls genderqueer in the sense that they felt neither male nor female and im currently interested in a no op transgender soooo yes. yes, I would. the one i'm in interested in, its a new concept to me but i'm not about to overlook an amazing person because they identify as male between the ears.

edit: What ever's between their ears is what gender they are, but when it comes to the hormones and surgery its complicated because i'm a lesbian and I don't know how dating someone with male parts would really work... I could live the rest of my life without sex and could manage an emotional relationship but if my partner wanted sex and they had male parts then I really don't know if I could because I'm just not attracted to that.

Not trying to sound ignorant in the slightest its just the way I was born, attracted physically to females.. trust me if I could overlook it I would and I hate that I can't  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Biblical Unicorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 am
I've dated 2 FtMs and I have had a crush on an MtF, and my current megacrush is an androgyne - that is he feels comfortable as neither gender (but doesn't care what pronouns you use, as long as you don't refer to her as 'it', I tend to switch back and forth each time I use on in reference to him. Slightly confusing but equitable.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:26 am
Biblical Unicorn
I've dated 2 FtMs and I have had a crush on an MtF, and my current megacrush is an androgyne - that is he feels comfortable as neither gender (but doesn't care what pronouns you use, as long as you don't refer to her as 'it', I tend to switch back and forth each time I use on in reference to him. Slightly confusing but equitable.

I think gender queer people are beautiful, not being restricted a specific sex and being able to just identify as themselves and not fit a specific gender role.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Biblical Unicorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 am
CheizLord
Biblical Unicorn
I've dated 2 FtMs and I have had a crush on an MtF, and my current megacrush is an androgyne - that is he feels comfortable as neither gender (but doesn't care what pronouns you use, as long as you don't refer to her as 'it', I tend to switch back and forth each time I use on in reference to him. Slightly confusing but equitable.

I think gender queer people are beautiful, not being restricted a specific sex and being able to just identify as themselves and not fit a specific gender role.

In my experience it's more confusing and epically (emotionally and physically) painful. >.< But thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 pm
CheizLord
I dated two girls genderqueer in the sense that they felt neither male nor female and im currently interested in a no op transgender soooo yes. yes, I would. the one i'm in interested in, its a new concept to me but i'm not about to overlook an amazing person because they identify as male between the ears.

edit: What ever's between their ears is what gender they are, but when it comes to the hormones and surgery its complicated because i'm a lesbian and I don't know how dating someone with male parts would really work... I could live the rest of my life without sex and could manage an emotional relationship but if my partner wanted sex and they had male parts then I really don't know if I could because I'm just not attracted to that.

Not trying to sound ignorant in the slightest its just the way I was born, attracted physically to females.. trust me if I could overlook it I would and I hate that I can't

You don't think it would be upsetting for your FtM crush that aren't attracted to who they feel they are/should be physically?

Biblical Unicorn

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:28 pm
Biblical Unicorn
CheizLord

You don't think it would be upsetting for your FtM crush that aren't attracted to who they feel they are/should be physically?

I do and thats why I feel so bad because im insanely attracted to them but they dont like their body and its confusing. but I cant help what Im attracted to and it sucks. I wish there was something i could do. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 pm
I personally respect transgender people's right to become who they are and if they're MtF well then really they're just female to me. That being said, if I've know someone as one physical sex for long time and they come out to me rather unexpectedly (this happened to me once) then I have a hard time trying to conceptualize them as their true gender. It's like I want to say "she" all the time but my stupid culturally set mind tends to relapse to "he" because it's what I see and what I'm used to saying.

Anyway, I haven't had an experience with a person who was transgender that I liked their personality enough to want to date them period, so I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I think I would be fairly open to it but I can't really say unless it happens. But asides from that I really like people who aren't gender normative. I like females who are into typically "guy" types of activities. And I like males who who have fun doing typically "girl" things. I think people are a lot more fun if they aren't worried about sticking to set gender roles and just do what they want to do.  

Hattey

Tipsy Friend

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces