Ideas for Bearded Dragon enclosure?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 pm
User Image
My beardie's (40 gallon breeder) tank works, but it looks kind of boring. Any ideas how it make it nicer for him? I tried a "reptile hammock" but after the suction cups let go while he was sitting in it he wanted nothing to do with it!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 pm
Sand! I have play sand in my Mali's tank, and he loves to throw it around every where, and make a huge mess with it. He also loves his driftwood....  

Akari_32

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:38 pm
Give him a hawaiian shirt! Like in Rango! (Except Rango is a chameleon) (Also, just kidding)

What do you think about live plants? I found that my aquarium was instantly 100x more awesome when I put two Amazon Swords in there. At the bottom of this page, there's a list of plants safe for beardies. The only thing is you'll have to find one suitable for the climate of a beardie tank. Also, they may be eaten and/or destroyed. I dunno, something to consider.

At our Petsmart, we use and sell these ramps. However, all of our beardies are babies, so I don't know how well they would fare with a bigger one unless it was wedged really well in there. Looks like you might be able to have it wedged in between the front and back of the tank.

We also have this and this for food and water. You might be able to attach that blue water bottle thing to one of them, if you wanted a more natural look with the functionality of that water bowl.

For some vertical eye-catchiness, I wonder if they sell miniature desert spires anywhere. That would look cool! (Albeit at the cost of space and functionality; those things wouldn't be fun to hang out on I'm sure.) Alternatively, you could buy a desert background, and that will spice things up. I've also heard that they can make a beardie feel more secure, but I'm not an expert and someone else can elaborate on that.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:50 pm
Hmm sand isn't very good for beardies, it can cause impaction eye infections and isn't very hygienic, it is a shame though, I agree it looks nice. If I put live plants in there he will definitely eat them.. actually that's why I have shied away from fake plants too... he tends to try and put ANYTHING green in his mouth! I did put a piece of drift wood & a bark cave in to give some more things to climb with some different textures. Next time I get a chance I think I will get a background too, I'm just not sure if I want to go with the typical naturalistic desert scene or do something different.  

imderanged

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff