Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Is there a way to get my dog to sleep in her bed?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you had a dog do this before?
  Yes
  No
View Results

NadiaGem

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm
Well as the subject says my dog gets out of her little bed at around 3-4am which is very early in the morning.. and hops into my (or my grandmothers) bed. She stays in her bed for a good while but then as I said she gets up and is in our beds within the very early morning when I am asleep. She stays in her bed as long as we are awake but once we are asleep there she goes. Unfortunately I am a very heavy sleeper and my grandmother is to tired from her busy day to day rue-teen. Any advice?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:55 pm
Have you tried crating, or containing her to a room?
Otherwise, typical 'no-furniture' methods of making it an unpleasant place for her to be. Pile something like books in the space she'll usually steal or put something like sticky tape, plastic bags or tinfoil over it.

If you don't really care about her being on the furniture and just don't want the blankets getting dirty, find a couple for her and put them on the bed-space she's allowed on (for example, my dogs are only allowed to lay on the fleece blanket over-top of my comfortor and aren't allowed to lay on my comfortor/sheets). In my opinion, the medium-sized fleece blanket is a lot easier to switch out with another and clean than the comfortor is; plus, the fleece is less likely to be damaged by their claws than the comfortor.

Other than the above, though, I'm not much help. I 'lock' my dogs in my room at night. As long as they don't wake me or get into anything they shouldn't, I don't really care where they sleep within the room (though it is easier to deal with puke on the fleece blanket on my bed than it is on any of the other surfaces). Zoe, at least, typically moves about in the night, between 'her' bed (technically Bella's, so it's a bit too small for her), the floor, and 'my' bed (she can't get on/off my regular one on her own). Bella, if sleeping in her bed, doesn't seem to move much in the night; if sleeping on my bed, she'll move admist her side (and switch to her bed in current setup).

~ Aki - Fairy ~

NadiaGem

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 am
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Have you tried crating, or containing her to a room?
Otherwise, typical 'no-furniture' methods of making it an unpleasant place for her to be. Pile something like books in the space she'll usually steal or put something like sticky tape, plastic bags or tinfoil over it.

If you don't really care about her being on the furniture and just don't want the blankets getting dirty, find a couple for her and put them on the bed-space she's allowed on (for example, my dogs are only allowed to lay on the fleece blanket over-top of my comfortor and aren't allowed to lay on my comfortor/sheets). In my opinion, the medium-sized fleece blanket is a lot easier to switch out with another and clean than the comfortor is; plus, the fleece is less likely to be damaged by their claws than the comfortor.

Other than the above, though, I'm not much help. I 'lock' my dogs in my room at night. As long as they don't wake me or get into anything they shouldn't, I don't really care where they sleep within the room (though it is easier to deal with puke on the fleece blanket on my bed than it is on any of the other surfaces). Zoe, at least, typically moves about in the night, between 'her' bed (technically Bella's, so it's a bit too small for her), the floor, and 'my' bed (she can't get on/off my regular one on her own). Bella, if sleeping in her bed, doesn't seem to move much in the night; if sleeping on my bed, she'll move admist her side (and switch to her bed in current setup).

I probably should have also mentioned my dog sleeps in my room. ._. I'm sorry I didn't put that in my description. You see she has a small bed in my room, also she has 3 of her own blankets (one being my old baby blanket) and the other 2 are what I use to cover my chair. She doesn't shed much because she's a small dog. She's only about 3ft long maybe. About the size of my porcelain dolls. I don't really mind her being on my bed I would really just like to know why she won't stay put in her own. Lol.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm
Well your bed is probably much more appealing. But you need to decide what the rules are now and stick to them. Because right now she's being sneaky by waiting till your asleep and getting up where she must think she's not allowed otherwise why wait? I would either invite her up so she knows you're allowing this, or do one of two things.

1. Invest in a crate, I know it looks sounds mean, because it's essentially a cage, but think of it more as a den, or a lil house. Most dogs come to love their crates and go in to sleep of their own accord.

2. Tether her. Tie a leash to a chair or something just short enough that she CANT jump up on your bed. Since you are unable to correct the behavior asleep, you need to prevent it. However, if you are a really sound sleeper, and she, by some odd chance, gets really tangled, it MIGHT be possible for her to choke herself.

Actually, there's a third option, don't let her sleep in your room. Find a room that is suitable and put her bed in there, close the door at night.

Think about what you want from her, and if you're willing to stick to the rules you set down. Consider that, on vacation, she might not be allowed on the bed with you, and it might be wise if she was use to sleeping alone so she doesn't misbehave. Also, if she shows any kind of separation anxiety or any level of protectiveness towards you, I would not let her sleep with you as it could make those things worse.

If you really don't mind, let her know, because it sounds like she's just being sneaky.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

NadiaGem

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

If you really don't mind, let her know, because it sounds like she's just being sneaky.

It's alright, she's sleeps in my bed at night anyway so I guess changing it now would just be weird for her. Besides she sleeps in hers during the day and it doesn't bother me too much.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games