Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
Coming Out

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

InvertedCr0sses

5,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:08 am
How did you all come out about your sexuality? What was your friends/family's reaction?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 pm
InvertedCr0sses
How did you all come out about your sexuality? What was your friends/family's reaction?

I never came completely out.
8th grade I was bi curious but did nothing.
11th or 12th grade I went on a date with a girl but didn't like her so I therefore thought I was straight. I told my friends all about my bi-curious-turning-into-bissexual situation leading up to the date, and they were supportive. My friend Steph pointed out that beginning college is when most people come out anyways, so that made me feel a bit better. My friend Brian just thought it was hott that I was into girls, lol! Oh! My best friend Jess was kinda iffy...she has a problem with homosexual PDA and such, but she didn't beat me down about it. She was just kind of in shock.
Orientation week in college I stepped out when the orientation leaders asked "who has questioned their sexuality"
Spring semester of freshman year in college I made out with a friend of mine. I liked it but didn't question my sexuality.
Now I am in a relationship with this really really great, prince charming type of guy <33 He's sooo great! But I am questioning my sexuality again =(
I think I'll eventually have to come out. I'll feel better then. My grams will probably kick the bucket, or come close to it, when she finds out...but I feel that it would be best for me to tell EVERYONE versus just my friends. =/  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

sicklikeasickle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 am
I don't know if I've really come out because I don't feel like I've ever been in the closet. My family and friends know and they didn't think anything special about it. My grandparents don't know, though, but only because it hasn't come up in a conversation. They're major homophobes, though, so I expect some yelling or grumpy muttering but what can you do. That's how it is with my sexuality, gender's a completely different thing, though. I'm a bit messed up with my gender identity at the moment and I don't know what to do about it, thus I'm in the closet with it. My mum knows, though, and so do some rare friends and they all took it very well and some of them were even really supportive. So yeah, at least no one's been cunty.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 pm
Anyone with eyes could see I preferred playing with airplanes and action figures than dolls, but the fact that my family tries to pretend that everything is fine and that I'm still normal. I told my mother ah-- a month ago that I may be wanting to have a sex change and she flipped out for the whole day but then I just grew distant like I always do, preparing to break-apart. Then she realizes that I'm quite serious and that its important that I find out who I really am so she arranged a therapist  

xWiddow

ShadowyClouds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:19 pm
It seems no one here has quite found a solution aside from just taking the bullet.

I'm no different. I come from an intense christian household. I already know their reaction.

To save on time, I'm going to reach a point where I wont need them, and if their hearts dont change, I will one day disappear from their lives and regretfully lose them forever.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 pm
With my family it was completely by accident because we were listening to a radio station and they were talking bout dildos, so me being the idiot i am decided to say boy i sure would love one and yeah that's the end of that ._.  

The Silenced Memory

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Mistress Adrian L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:23 am
I told my parents after some bad boyfriends tat I was Lesbian. They kinda freaked out but they should love you no matter what.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:15 am
Wow this is kind of a loaded question.

Well, I grew up in a massively conservative family so I was super scared for the longest time especially since I heard soooo much homophobia from my biological father. It was about a week away from my 17th birthday when I was eating at Chili's with my biological mother. She was talking about 'those gays' and how disgusting 'they' were. I was fighting back tooth and nail. For months, she kept asking me if there was something I needed to tell her, but I always said no.

This time, I threw it in her face. I told her she had a queer kid and she had to deal with it. Her immediate reaction was to ask what I THOUGHT I was. Incensed, I curtly explained to her pansexuality after she thought I was humping her cooking ware. The rest of the dinner did not go well.

Over the next few months, she refused to acknowledge that I was anything less than 100% heterosexual. My adoptive parents were much more understanding. I never had to come out at all to them or explain anything. I mean yeah I explained it to my sisters who were questioning at various times but it was never a huge deal. It was like oh you like guys and girls and people who are confusing? Good for you we really don't care.

But with my biological family, I kept trying to keep up good ties as much as possible. During the summer, my older brother and I had a fight. He had no idea of my sexuality since my biological mother was like THEY'RE STRAIGHT THEY'RE STRAIGHT THEY'RE STRAIGHT constantly. I screamed what I am at him and he was stunned into silence. He hugged me and said it was ok, that he loved me anyways.

The third time I came out, I did it for good and I did it on Facebook. I was tired of being closeted around certain family members and open around others. Same with friends. I explained what pansexuality was and there was an explosion all over my feed for weeks. Some of my aunts were professing how I was going to hell for being an abomination while my cousins were like 'yo that's not cool' to their moms and supported me 100%.

The point to this longass convoluted story is that you never stop coming out. Even if you don't really say anything to people, it's still a process. Or at least it was for me. I've had to come out to my biological mother three separate times and she still tries to stubbornly ignore it. My retribution is to vomit rainbows in her presence which is highly amusing actually.

You're going to get a mix of reactions. My biological family was nuts and felt betrayed for some reason? Which is super stupid because they're not me. But my adoptive family was like yo whatever Vann. Get your a** over to the table for dinner, mom made some really great takoyaki tonight.

It really shows who loves you, y'know? And it's gonna be hard and it's gonna suck. But I know it's made me feel better. I'm not hiding anymore and I can just be me without worry.  

vann-haal13

Fashionable Explorer

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Bits Of Silver
Crew

Sparkling Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:25 am
Simply this-

If someone in my life is both trusted and respected and for some reason its important they know my sexuality then I will share it with them.

I dont feel the need to wear the insides of me on the outside.

Some of my family know, some do not. Some friends know, some do not.

It is not important to me if someone does not know. It does not change me, or them.  
Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games