Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Aww. We love you, too, chaosxloki <3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:55 pm
So I was going through the join requests, most of which say the same sort of thing, and I stumbled across this heart-felt message of support for our little community.

Quote:
gays/lesbians/transvestite hole muda a*****e!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go
straights people b***h ******** gays

Doesn't that just warm your heart? 4laugh I mean, shucks, guys. Please join me in offering this ragey l'il guy a hug.

*cough*

In all seriousness, I sort of want to talk about something that I've seen cropping up more and more frequently. I'm talking about threads where someone links to some sort of petty homophobic BS (random forum posts, blogs or Youtube videos, for example), and then we end up with a thread full of hate and insults. We get nothing out of it, while the homophobic person has their message spread to even more people.

It's frustrating, because while I certainly understand the need to vent, I also don't think this bitterness is something that should be encouraged. I consider myself to be a fairly cynical person, but it's not something I'm proud of.

I guess I think that we (humans in general) need to pick our battles more carefully, or we risk burning ourselves out. There are enough serious concerns facing our community that it isn't worth your time to think up a scathing comment for these minor-league homophobes. Ultimately, Jim-Bob's drunken vlog about "dem queers" isn't worth watching, let alone talking about. Save your energy and your passion for the bigger issues, whether they are LGBT-related or not.

I'm not saying we should just ignore homophobia unless it's something epic and huge. Just...before you spend time adding yet more fuel to the fire, think about the guy who is so bitter and full of hatred that he took the time to seek out our guild and apply to join just so he could tell us off. Who ever wants to be that negative? sweatdrop

As a reminder, we do have a journal subforum for all your venting, raging needs. So yeah. Discuss, I guess.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:21 am
I only care about homophobic speeches if they are actually going to do something about it (e.g. the law they're planning to pass in Russia to make writing articles/stories about homosexuality illegal) or if they are actively patronising some other group whilst doing so (e.g. saying gays should die from AIDS whilst ignoring what impact AIDS would actually have on a person). That's just what I think. But a simple message like that really shouldn't warrant anything. It's not worth anyone's time.

Also, I just have to say that in my opinion, you are a real credit to the crew of this guild, Taeryyn.  

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 am
i find most homophobic or gay hating excuses or hate speeches to be funny because they dont have a good reason for hating us besides my mommy and daddy said you was full of teh evils so im gonna hatez you too  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 pm
Sometimes I've found that fighting the minor battles has helped me for the major battles.

Example: I discuss gay rights with several random idiots on various mediums, usually something of a public forum where I can see other retorts. Reading these retorts gives me ideas to use in the future.

This helps me when I have a family member or a friend I really like saying the same thing idiots say. I'm already armed with the retorts which is good because fighting with a friend or family stresses me out.

That said, I've been feeling burnt out lately. I'll read updates on FB about stories and stuff and I just don't have the energy to post and discuss it. sad

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items