Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
You know what I hate?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 am
Going to an area where I expect to find open-minded and tolerant people and I end up finding the same judgmental closed-minded people there. Has anyone else experienced this? Found it annoying?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:30 am
yup, i find it all the time. i hardly ever tell another glbt person im bi because of the biphobia going around. i love it when a gay person tells me i just havent chosen a side yet then bitches that being gay isnt a choice  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Jim the Geek

4,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 am
Shanna66
yup, i find it all the time. i hardly ever tell another glbt person im bi because of the biphobia going around. i love it when a gay person tells me i just havent chosen a side yet then bitches that being gay isnt a choice

this is one of the reasons I tend to keep quiet...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:57 am
Shanna66

Yeah, I find that quite ironic. I never got the biphobia. sad Just what we need, discrimination from within our ranks.

Jim the Geek, and that's too bad. sad

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 am
Yeah, my old school's GSA.

I was the ONLY non-feminine Gay there, and they hated me for it. F$#%'em. I made my own friends regardless of their stereotypical nonsense.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:08 pm
I can't say I remember having that exact situation happen or if it did I forgot about it. But I do remember getting annoyed with closed-minded people in general... oh wait! there was this one instance...

My freshman year of High School I had this health teacher and she seemed like a really awesome lady and everything. Really open minded and funny. She was teacher of the year too.

Well after I graduated I found out that one day she was teaching a class and she had to educate them on sexual orientation and the words that came out of her mouth were, "I know it's disgusting and gross but we have to talk about it."

Like really? former teacher of the year can't even so much as suppress her opinion to be non bias and professional like she's supposed to be in a school environment? But especially in a professional setting. What if someone gay or bi or transgender was in that class? Just the sheer ignorance that she didn't think of what she was saying or who she could be saying it to just disturbs me. Not teacher of the year behavior at all. I even thought she was gay too. haha guess not.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 pm
CheizLord
I can't say I remember having that exact situation happen or if it did I forgot about it. But I do remember getting annoyed with closed-minded people in general... oh wait! there was this one instance...

My freshman year of High School I had this health teacher and she seemed like a really awesome lady and everything. Really open minded and funny. She was teacher of the year too.

Well after I graduated I found out that one day she was teaching a class and she had to educate them on sexual orientation and the words that came out of her mouth were, "I know it's disgusting and gross but we have to talk about it."

Like really? former teacher of the year can't even so much as suppress her opinion to be non bias and professional like she's supposed to be in a school environment? But especially in a professional setting. What if someone gay or bi or transgender was in that class? Just the sheer ignorance that she didn't think of what she was saying or who she could be saying it to just disturbs me. Not teacher of the year behavior at all. I even thought she was gay too. haha guess not.

that would not have gone over well at my old highschool. my highschool had a high glbt population and we even had a few glbt teachers. if you said anything bad about gays you became enemy #1 for the next few weeks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 pm
Shanna66
CheizLord

that would not have gone over well at my old highschool. my highschool had a high glbt population and we even had a few glbt teachers. if you said anything bad about gays you became enemy #1 for the next few weeks

I'm just glad I didn't have her when she said that. It might have led to my first outburst ever. either that or id be red in the face for a week.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:25 pm
CheizLord

If she was talking about sexual intercourse itself I wouldn't be offended, but if that statement was directed toward the LGBT community, I'd sure as hell be mad. But you know, since someone told you that story and you didn't actually hear her say that herself, some meaning could have gotten lost. She could have been talking about sex rather than sexual orientation.
Not being a jerk; just a thought...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:30 pm
Last year at my school's GSA me and my friends were made to feel very unwelcome.
I go to school with my brother's best friend Josh who is very feminine and a transvestite but he is straight. I have never really liked him but I've always tried to be sort of friends with him(we make fun of each other all the time but its done in good humor). He invited me and a friend of mine, Jack, to the GSA. Jack is bi and he and his boyfriend always made gay about each other(strange sense of humor o.O). Well we had been there about half a semester when Josh had gotten a message on facebook from the head of the GSA that basically said that because 1 he was straight and 2 he was "wierd" he shouldn't come back. It also said that Jack and his bf were wierd and that it was his fault that they were there. They also made comments about how I laugh too much and also shouldn't come back because I associate with them. Josh continued to go and I don't know what happened after that(he never said anything to me so I guess they didn't have the guts to say anything to his face). Me and jack and his bf stopped going. Jack has anger issues and didn't want to do something he'd regret and I just didn't want to go somewhere that I wasnt welcome  

Elly_the_lost_penguin

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:39 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
CheizLord

If she was talking about sexual intercourse itself I wouldn't be offended, but if that statement was directed toward the LGBT community, I'd sure as hell be mad. But you know, since someone told you that story and you didn't actually hear her say that herself, some meaning could have gotten lost. She could have been talking about sex rather than sexual orientation.
Not being a jerk; just a thought...

I heard it directly from a very trusting friend who's very well spoken that that was what she said word for word (I have a very good memory). So it's true I don't know in what context she was speaking but I do know that those were her exact words. Either way whether she meant homosexual sex or the act of being homosexual I really don't think it matters. It's still a bias and narrow minded statement.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:54 pm
Lady Kayura
Going to an area where I expect to find open-minded and tolerant people and I end up finding the same judgmental closed-minded people there. Has anyone else experienced this? Found it annoying?

Everyday; I'm sick of it; things need to change for the better scream  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Sailor Rapunzel

Enduring Sweetheart

11,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:21 am
Jim the Geek
Shanna66

this is one of the reasons I tend to keep quiet...

same here... confused  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff