Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Looking for a good book to read

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:11 am
I was wondering if anyone's been reading some good books lately.

Right now I'm reading The Hunger Games which is turning out to be pretty good. But after? Then what?

So what are you reading that's good?

I'm particularly fond of paranormal romance and fantasy but I'd love to hear about a good LGBT book.

Tried to read Patience and Sarah.. and that was kind of painful. >_>;

My favorites: The Harry Potter series, and the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. LOTR was decent too.

But I can't read those books for the 1000th time. >_<

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 am
Its not a LGBT book but i suggest you try either

'Where the heart is' <--- Really good read, I read it like 10 times and still didn't want to put it down....

or 'Cinder' <--- brand new, just came out, first in the series...  

silver-vixen-babydoll

Ruthless Regular

21,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:24 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Let The Right One In (Let Me In) could technically be considered an LGBT novel. It's about a romance between a boy and a child vampire. If you've already seen the Swedish film, then you know about the "twist."

I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo right now. It's more...crime drama? One of the main themes in the series is violence against women. Lisbeth herself is a BAMF bisexual, who rapes her rapist in the first book. emotion_dowant And Sweden's best hacker? But she's also incredibly socially awkward and introverted. Haven't seen the Swedish films yet, but Fincher's adaptation was boss.

For the paranormal romance stuff:
Rachel Vincent's Shifter series. Werecats. Specifically, werepanthers. The last few books reeked with sexism, as the main character, Faythe, works as an enforcer, which is a "boys only club." The female werecats (tabbies) are the minority, usually being the last child after several boys. Their main objective in life is to marry a strong, Tom pridecat, and bear his kittens, including the next Tabby. It's the mens' job as enforcers to protect their Pride (territory) and Tabbies. We get thunderbirds in the last two or three books. The books were like crack to me - I could barely put them down and finished them in two or three days.

The Southern Vampire Mysteries
(True Blood) Better than the show, but they're about 300 pages per book, and I stopped reading after the...9th book? With the loss of Claudine and several other things, it just didn't feel the same. I think she's losing her spark.

The former doesn't have any LGBT characters or themes - that I recall. The latter has some, but they're more minor characters. Lafayette, Pam, I think there was a gay vampire King...Russell?

Son of The Witch, if you like the Wizard of Oz. The Witch's son takes a male lover.

The Hunger & The Last Vampire by Whitley Strieber. I'm going to pretend Lilith's Dream doesn't exist, as I should with the second one...Character of change, blatant inconsistencies from the first, written to be adapted for the action movie never came...Anyway, Miriam, one of the main characters and resident vampire, is bisexual.

And finally, Carmilla. The vampire short story that heavily influenced Dracula. Lesbian vampire, need I say more?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 am
I wish I could really help, but I don't really know any books to recommend as I am having a hard time finding books that appeals to me as I am picky.

The last book I read was My Sister's Keep. It is a really good book with a twist and much better than the movie but it isn't the type of story you are looking for and it isn't a light hearted book. sweatdrop

Maybe Memoirs Of A Geisha. Not an LGBT book either and it isn't paranormal but has romance in it and deals with Geisha in that story that were told they couldn't love someone as they weren't allowed to (in real life they can marry though at least the ones now).

Sorry, I don't seem to be much help.

The books I am reading now are a three part series and are yaoi novels. They are Cold Sleep, Cold Light and Cold Fever.It involves romance and a guy who lost his memories after an accident and trying to figure out the past or finds out something shocking. You might like it as it is a novel and not a graphic one, the only problem is that some of the volumes like Cold Light are out of print and are hard to find or pricey. I am still waiting to hear from some book store I ordered from but it is a special order and could take awhile. If it takes too long, I think they will cancel the order and just notify me if it does come in.

I heard of Carmilla, a friend made a fic based off that and remember about the vampires being lesbians. I hadn't read the book though.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:28 am
I don't really know any LGBT books, but 'The Droughtlanders' is a pretty good book that has some gay rights messages mixed in with it. The plot of the book is kind of hard to explain. It's in a futuristic world, where only certain areas of the country still get rain, and the people live relatively good lives. Everywhere is a parched desert, and the people who live in it are called the Droughtlanders. It's got some romance in it, and heavily comments on aspects of the Western world. There's three books in the series, and they're pretty good. The author of those books is Candice Mac.

I would recommend 'Woundrous Strange' as well if you like paranormal romance. That one really doesn't have any LGBT issues in it, but I still found it to be a good read. The author is Lesley Livingston.

'Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale'
was one that I enjoyed as well, though I liked the second book, 'Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie' more. You can read either one out of order and both will still make sense, since they're not directly linked to each other. If you end up reading Tithe, 'Ironside' is the sequel to it, and that has some definite LGBT going on with one of the secondary characters. The author is Holly Black.

'The Mortal Instruments' series is another one that you might like. 'City of Bones' is the first book, and it's written by Cassandra Clare. More paranormal romance in that one, and some definite LGBT issues brought up in that one as well.

The only problems with 'The Droughtlanders' and 'Wonderous Strange' is that both are written by Canadian authors. If you're in the states, I don't know if you'd be able to find them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 am
Centipedes In Utero

I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo right now. It's more...crime drama? One of the main themes in the series is violence against women. Lisbeth herself is a BAMF bisexual, who rapes her rapist in the first book. emotion_dowant And Sweden's best hacker? But she's also incredibly socially awkward and introverted. Haven't seen the Swedish films yet, but Fincher's adaptation was boss.

Was going to recommend that book. It's sad that the author died it was supposed to be a 10 book series but he died of a heart attack before finishing the third book so they had a ghost writer finish it. ;A;
Also the Swedish films are alright, I deffinately love the Swedish Lisbeth more but the English movie kept more detail and did a better job of potraying emotions but I might just tink taht because reading subtitles can cause you to miss important things.  

Nerdodactyl

Duck

Nerdodactyl

Duck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 am
Also if it's vampires you want go for Anne Rice, plenty of homosexual subtext, saddly the only book to have any descriptions on the male male sex scenes was book three but the books are still a good read, however when it does coem to the sex scenes try not to giggle since they refer to it as "the organ". Maybe I'm just immature?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 am
LGBT wise:

Jennifer Finney Boylan and Rene Richards' autobiographies are good reads.

"Lorca: A Dream of Life" is also a good pick.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Runkle

Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:33 pm
The Count of Monte Cristo is my all-time favorite book out of anything. But if you want fantasy-esque suggestions, have you read the His Dark Materials series yet? That's The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. It's a pretty good series, I would recommend that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:38 pm
I don't really know about LGBT books, other than the Millenium Trilogy [the girl with the dragon tattoo, the girl who played with fire, the girl who kicked the hornets nest]

I loved the Breadwinner trilogy, it's about 2 girls in Afghanistan/Pakistan living under the taliban and trying to escape.

The Hunger Games trilogy is amazing though.  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

melzyBabyy

8,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm
I'm glad you're reading the Hunger Games! Really amazing series! I hope you find something good to read after that!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 pm
I've been making my way through this list of books, and I'm working on the Xanth series right now. It's not my favourite fantasy series, but it's fun and silly. Definitely not a serious read, but it's still entertaining.

Sunshine by Robin McKinley was an interesting take on the whole vampire story, and is probably one of my favourite supernatural-themed books.

Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls has a touch of romance (just a smidge), both same-sex and otherwise, but a great deal more "sex, blood, and rock 'n roll". (Horribly corny quote from the back of the book.) It's still one of my favourite books, even if it is trashy. If you're looking for something with more romance (mostly same-sex), then I highly recommend Drawing Blood, also by Ms. Brite. Might be hard to find, though.

I really enjoyed the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, and I'm eagerly awaiting more books from him that are set in the same universe.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Thirteenth_Floor

Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:22 pm
in the LGBT category, i really think you should read the Unnatural series. although a bit stereotypical in your fantasy/romance genre, it really is a satisfying read that moves in directions you just have to hold on to for. and if you like philosophy that's still on the side of LGBT, i recommend Call Me By Your Name by Andre Acimen. a bit of a dense read, but it leaves you on an emotional roller coaster.

as for other books, i actually would recommend a great book i'm reading called The Bench Sitter by Katlin Sweeney. it's a teen inspirational book written by someone around the same age as me, and it never disappoints

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be checking them out for sure <333  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash