Welcome to Gaia! ::

Oh My Gold! Polls, Contests, Give-a-ways & More!

Back to Guilds

This Guild consists of Polls, Contests, Events, Giveeaways and much more! 

Tags: Conversation, Polls, SonZack, Contests, Friends 

Reply Oh My Gold! Main Forum
Relay for Life

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roxas the Calm Chaos

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 pm
Hey fellow Gaians!
Last year, I decided to get involved with relay for life, (which was great because it was also my freshmen year and the start of a new school), In addition to making a lot of amazing friends, I had a wild and crazy night. Relay for Life is a fundraiser dedicating to fighting cancer and finding a cure for the disease that has torn so many families apart. In addition, it raises awareness and lessens the emotional pain of those inflicted.
I was wondering if any of you guys would like to help by donating.
This is my sophomore year and I've decided to get involved again.

I registered online with my school
When I registered online, I was issued my own personal fundraising web page. It explains what Relay For Life is and why I chose to get involved. My web page also has my fundraising goal and how much money I've raised so far.

Please visit my page, and while you're there....why not make a donation to the American Cancer Society?

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12National?px=18839980&pg=personal&fr_id=40284

Your donation will help the American Cancer Society create a world
with less cancer and more birthdays - the amount you donate will count
towards my fundraising goal.

In addition, it'd be great if you could forward the link to any of your friends. Relay is a really great cause and you'd be saving a lot of lives and helping people.

Please donate  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm
I can't believe that I never thought of fundraising on Gaia! Go you!

This'll be my fourth year with Relay. I did one each year until last year, when I did two and was co-captain of one of my teams. This year I will hopefully be doing three, with one of them having me as both the Survivor Chair on the Relay Committee and captain of my team. I was going to do captain and committee for two of them, but my homework load wouldn't allow it.

I love that you enjoyed Relay so much. I love it a lot and can't wait for it every year.

Both my grandma's have received treatment for cancer - one for ovarian, the other for colon. My great-grandfather was developing skin cancer before he died at 92 of unknown causes. I have lost both my neighbor and my brother's godmother - both being people very close to me - to cancer. I also have a friend who suffers from Lupus. As you can see, cancer is a big part of my life, and I have plenty of reasons to Relay.

Have you ever heard of a HOPE Lodge? If you have one in your area, a lot of the money from your Relay will go towards running it. It's a great experience to visit there.

Have you any good stories from your Relay? Tell me some and I'll tell you some of mine.  

Iradesca

Roxas the Calm Chaos

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm
One of my all time favorite moments was during the Luminaria ceremony. I've lost several of my family members to breast cancer, lung cancer, etc. One of the most sobering experiences of my life was seeing their names on a screen while we lit candles for them. My sister (who was a senior while i was a freshmen) stood with me and some of my friends came to me too. One the one hand, it's hard to see how cancer not only affects those it hurts but the friends and family. But that was just such a show of support and love.
Another, a survivor for our team was 67 year old woman who was diagnosed with cancer when she was 52. she not only managed to beat that disease, prove to everyone how strong she was, but she was also one of the kindest, funniest people I have ever met.
How about you?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 pm
I think my favorite event, after the Luminaria ceremony, is the MISSter Relay Universe contest. I love watching all of the guys get up there and strut there stuff and have fun doing it. It's even better when they're good sports and really get into it.Last year, one of the contestants was a man who had menopause. He made a sign that said he was coming out of the closet and that he suffered from "Men-O-Pause." Lol!  

Iradesca

Roxas the Calm Chaos

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 pm
OMG that is hilarious
At our celebration, we had bands and people would get up and do karaoke or just sing and dance.
Me and some of my friends sung Baby and Firework just cause it was so fun
We bet a ton of candy on who could stay up the latest too  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm
Lol. We had a kareoke competition last year too.It was right after Friday had come out, and everyone was singing it. Lucky me, I hadn't heard it yet and didn't know to plug my ears.
I've managed to stay up all night long all three years that I've been doing it, except for a 30 minute nap.
My first year, I was the ONLY one from my team walking, and then everyone decided to get up ater I started my nap and go back to sleep before I was done. stare
My second year, out of the three days beforehand I had gotten a total of eight hours of sleep because of homework, so that was a little tough.
Last year I didn't have many problems, just a lack of sleep from the nights before, but by then I was used to it.
Note to self: GET SOME SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE FOR THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!  

Iradesca

Roxas the Calm Chaos

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFdTFb5OIE

This is my school smile
I;m actually there a few times in the shot
It was hilarious  
Oh My Gold! Main Forum