Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Need advice for de-fleaing hamster

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miles To Go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 pm
we do have hamster flea spray but I smelled it and it is not something im comfortable exposing my hamster to unless i wash it off within the hour

But its winter and I dont want him to get sick from the bath

I read that freezing the litter before use will help kill fleas

But personally i think litter = breeding ground, so i am contemplating just using towel(s) as litter until he is flea free

Still not sure how to draw the fleas off him though. Usually i drown them and clean out the surroundings, but Ive never had them on such a delicate animal before

Suggestions greatly welcomed  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 am
You need to clean his environment as often as possible. Flea eggs are extremely hardy, and can stay viable long periods of time. Is your house cold? I would close the bathroom door, and let the shower run hot, the steam will heat up the room, you could put an electric heater too. Then bathe the hamster with something like "ecto soothe" from virbac, you can pick up at your vet office. Just make sure to dry him really well after and put him back in a clean cage with lots of warm bedding, like fleece.

Towel bedding has worked quite well for my rats. It makes cleaning the cage often quick and easy. Just throw in the laundry, wipe down the cage and place fresh towels.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces