Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
sigh...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 pm
Well I have had Milo for a couple of months now and I have tried just about everything to stop him from pulling on the leash and NOTHING works. I've tried standing still until he stops pulling and he sits and then pulls the second I start moving. I've tried doing the thing where you turn once hes about to pull and it does no good. I've tried to do collar corrections where you pull him off balance once he pulls and that doesn't work. Even when he walks kind of good (after eight hours at the dog park every Saturday haha) as soon as we see another dog he goes ballistic. I see other people walking their dogs and the dogs are so calm and the people always give me bad looks. I walk him a few times a day and I NEVER let him get away with pulling so its not like I've inconsistent. Anyone have advice???

also does he really HAVE to know how to stay? I haven't taught him how and it has never come up so I was just wondering if its absolutely necessary.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 pm
Have you tried a choke chain or a prong collar? Those things work wonders. What kind of leash are you using? If you're using a retractable, I strongly suggest switching to a conventional leash.

Basic commands are important. Especially with your dog, stay would be essential to keeping him under control. Dogs feel more confident when you are in command, and giving him basic commands and him obeying conveys that feeling of leadership.  

Ailinea

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm
Ailinea
Have you tried a choke chain or a prong collar? Those things work wonders. What kind of leash are you using? If you're using a retractable, I strongly suggest switching to a conventional leash.

Basic commands are important. Especially with your dog, stay would be essential to keeping him under control. Dogs feel more confident when you are in command, and giving him basic commands and him obeying conveys that feeling of leadership.

I did try a choke chain but it did no good and he actually got bruises from yanking against it. And I use a six foot metal leash.

He knows how to sit, lay down, shake with both paws, leave it, drop it, and uf i need him to wait for something (like not going outside until i walk out the door or for food) i tell him to wait and he waits until i tell him ok. But i never taught him to do an actual stay.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 am
I would teach the stay, if anything, for the sake of spending time training as its mentally stimulating for the dog. You may find u need it one day.

As for walking, how many days did you use each method? How old is the dog? What breed? Have you considered a gentle leader?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces