Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Hey Teacher Leave Those Kids Alone! [[The School forum for all your woes, loves and hates]]
My lit class...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wilhelm Von Cyanide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm
Ugh... first 'rant' in a long while... soooo....

Literature happens to be one of my favourite subjects in the world, but as I come close to finishing my first year of highschool, I've found that I've learned absolutely nothing.

You see, for the first time in my entire life, I'm in an on-level class. I've always been used to being in the advanced classes, especially for literature, and although I've always been one of the "less intelligent" students in the class, I would be motivated to become better than the rest of the class and I'd do well. (...I'm very competitive and have some ego issues stare ...)

Sure, this class should be a cinch for me, but have a few weeks, I completely lost my motivation. The class seems to be filled will mostly miscreants and idiots, both of which I cannot stand, and the teacher does not know how to assert her dominance, and therefore no one behaves and we are two weeks behind all the other classes. Plus, she seems to think we're all stupid. I cannot remember a single assignment which hasn't had a thousand extraneous steps added to it. In the back of my head I feel like the class just doesn't deserve my attention, even though I know that is a terribly destructive thought.

I suppose it's mainly my fault; I have a bad habit of not doing my homework, or basically any assignment that has to be done at home. Also, I could have transferred out of that class before the second semester started, as two of my friends did, but I was too inhibited and felt like doing so would somehow be an insult to the teacher or something. This isn't the first time that's come up; I've been taking piano lessons with the same teacher for six years, even though she isn't that great of a teacher. That's another story, though.

Honestly, I've completely forgotten where I was going with this, and I've lost all of my rage, so I'll stop here before I get too off-topic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 am
Wilhelm Von Cyanide

Literature happens to be one of my favourite subjects in the world, but as I come close to finishing my first year of highschool, I've found that I've learned absolutely nothing.

You see, for the first time in my entire life, I'm in an on-level class. I've always been used to being in the advanced classes, especially for literature, and although I've always been one of the "less intelligent" students in the class, I would be motivated to become better than the rest of the class and I'd do well. (...I'm very competitive and have some ego issues stare ...)

Sure, this class should be a cinch for me, but have a few weeks, I completely lost my motivation. The class seems to be filled will mostly miscreants and idiots, both of which I cannot stand, and the teacher does not know how to assert her dominance, and therefore no one behaves and we are two weeks behind all the other classes. Plus, she seems to think we're all stupid. I cannot remember a single assignment which hasn't had a thousand extraneous steps added to it. In the back of my head I feel like the class just doesn't deserve my attention, even though I know that is a terribly destructive thought.

I suppose it's mainly my fault; I have a bad habit of not doing my homework, or basically any assignment that has to be done at home. Also, I could have transferred out of that class before the second semester started, as two of my friends did, but I was too inhibited and felt like doing so would somehow be an insult to the teacher or something. This isn't the first time that's come up; I've been taking piano lessons with the same teacher for six years, even though she isn't that great of a teacher. That's another story, though.

Honestly, I've completely forgotten where I was going with this, and I've lost all of my rage, so I'll stop here before I get too off-topic.

Oh my god I know how you feel man. I live in Pennsylvania and I have had many literature classes. But the GIGANTIC book they give us at the beginning of the school year filled with literature and stories NEVER gets used. It's so dumb. We only bring it to class once or twice a year. What's the point?  

LordFirewall

Feral Shade

10,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100

Wilhelm Von Cyanide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 am
Wish_of_Requiem
Wilhelm Von Cyanide

Oh my god I know how you feel man. I live in Pennsylvania and I have had many literature classes. But the GIGANTIC book they give us at the beginning of the school year filled with literature and stories NEVER gets used. It's so dumb. We only bring it to class once or twice a year. What's the point?

Yeah, same here, but what's even worse are the many days which she DOES have us bring it to class, and then we still end up not using it! This happens all the time, and I'm sick of it.

Ironically enough, I've been up all night procrastinating on a major assignment for this very same class, hehehe.... An assignment, if I may add, which has several useless sheets of unnecessary work involved.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:31 am
Yeah, my school is kinda lame. There are a few classes that I don't even know why there's work involved. Reading Unlimited, for instance.

All we have to do is read books. JUST read. The first day, I forgot the book I wanted to bring. So the teacher comes over to me and acts like it was an unforgivable act or something... If she didn't have a brain, she probably would have been crazy enough to send me to the office.

Chemistry - My chem teacher is nice and doesn't snap at people unless necessary. But she takes FOREVER to explain chemical labs before we do the activity. And I do mean FOREVER. She explains it for like 20 minutes, then there's only like 10-15 minutes left in the period. Also I have a friend who wastes time in that class and gets me distracted.

Worst of all is Plane Geometry. In the past 2 weeks, the teacher gave us assignments that 'only work on a calculator'. She doesn't know, obviously that some students don't have a calculator similar to the class set. So I tell her and she's like "I didn't see YOU in homeroom..." SERIOUSLY?! I would be able to complete 50 problems within 15 minutes? Not possible. She's so dumb.  

LordFirewall

Feral Shade

10,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100

MagiPuff

Shirtless Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm
Sounds like the class I had last year, almost exactly actually. Last year I moved to where I am at now and had hopes that the schools would be like one of my many other old schools. But then a few weeks in my literature and history teacher lost control of the class and spent most of the year yelling at the class to quite down. It sucked, and most of the time we'd lug all our books to class and end up not even needing them since she was yelling for all the time there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 pm
Eeeuugh, sounds like what 4/5ths of my English classes have been like since Middle School. emotion_puke
This year I'm taking what's supposed to be an advanced course, but the teacher is less than adequate and doesn't run the classroom well. She had us make a "comma rules booklet" early on in the semester only to never have us never finish it. neutral She also constantly loses people's assignments and she wastes sooo much of our class time, holy s**t. Just the other day when we were having a writing benchmark she spent almost 20 minutes answering people's smartass questions about a stupefyingly simple essay prompt. 20 MINUTES THAT I COULD HAVE SPENT WRITING THE ESSAY. stressed And she comes to class late nearly every day after lunch because she's always going out to eat. Probably why she's overweight and had that kidney stone.  

Evataph

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:07 pm
Well, every class except for one of mine is advanced. I'm taking psychology on access while everyone else is taking spanish, my math class has only 8 people (which is awsome, and the teacher is a freind of my moms and he's not a scary unapproachable teach at all biggrin ) , I don't even have a history class because I'm so ahead in that subject, and I take chemistry with the seniors.

But my lit class.....oh dear Lupa....I go to a TINY school, and my entire grade fits in one classroom. That classroom is lit. When she isn't yelling at the rowdy students, she's droning on about assignments....I'm a JUNIOR....and she's teaching the JUNIOR CLASS how to WRITE AN ESSAY!!!! WE LEARNED THAT IN 4TH GRADE!!! Albeit, some of the boys and a few of the girls are the ones who NEED to take that class, but for people like me who are grinding their teeth wanting to do something NOT STUPID that will actually CHALLENGE us, its horrid. I only got there the start of this semester, and last semester my first teacher had us doing constructive work like we were supposed to be doing.( Aka, reading novels, poems, writing short essays about a topic associated with the novel or poem, MEMORIZING poems, learning about authors and the events which inspired them to write the stories, symbolism, ect. ) I LOVED THAT CLASS! My current teacher is making us learn grammar and take AR tests...stuff that I didnt have to do anymore after 5th grade. Its driving me bonkers.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:01 am
Sir_Diddles_The_Comic
Wilhelm Von Cyanide

there used to be a point that the books you were assigned to read were benchmarkers for the history of your language and its history. Though that no longer seems to be the case.  

Mera1506

Hey Teacher Leave Those Kids Alone! [[The School forum for all your woes, loves and hates]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games