Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Fish people! Cloudy water?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:06 pm
I've had my 16 gall bowfront tank since October. It's been thoroughly cycled, and has had fishing living in it for about as long as it's existence. In the last month, the water has gotten REALLY cloudy, and I can't seem to get it to clear. I bought a more powerful filter on Monday, and it helped a little bit for a while but it's still super cloudy. Whatsgoingon. I do 30% water changes on Sundays and Wednesdays, and am careful not too feed more than they can eat at once. My tank is VERY understocked, I have one BEAUTIFUL betta, one BN Pleco (he's only at about an inch and a half, maybe almost up to 2), and 4 albino cories. What. the. hell. My tank should NOT still be this cloudy. Ideas? Thoughts? Questions?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:33 pm
Substrate? Lighting? Plants? How much do you feed them daily, what do you feed them and how much of it do they actually eat?  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm
Substrate: Gravel Lighting: Gro-light, on during the day for my damn plant. Plant: One Amazon sword in it's own little vase inside of the aquarium. All other hides are like formations. I feed them a sprinkle of shrinking shrimp pellets in the morning for the bottom feeders, they eat all of them, I put one algae wafer by Prose, my pleco, and he eats that, and I crush up some betta pellets for Incendio since he has a really little mouth.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 pm
Could be an algae bloom. My other thoughts were something leaching from the substrate or too much food. What color is the cloudy? Are the hides made for aquarium use?  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 am
Yeah that business is algae. It's the definition of green water. I got some algae-kill stuff that's safe for fishy and plants, so I'm hoping that'll be helpful. I plan to do my 33% change, then scrub the sides for algae, and then add algae kill. It better work. IT BETTER WORK.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:51 pm
Also remember that green water isn't necessarily bad for fish, just an eye sore. I think this is an excuse to go out and buy more plants. OHMI9GOD. You totally just gave me a reason to justify to everyone else why I need plants..."But SL is spoiled and he doesn't eat the algae anymore....I need plants!"  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:40 pm
IT WORKED OH MY GOD IT WORKED. Within 3 hours the water is 100% crystal clear. I rinsed the cartridge out and everyone is happily swimming in circles. Its pretty much a happy time. I'm giddy. I started giggling when I saw it and gurgle/squealed when I put the filter cartridge back in, I was so excited. Tetramin, I love you.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games