Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Kinda Scared Now. Any Advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 am
So I kinda accidentally came out to some of my friends today. I wasn't really planning on doing it yet but they didn't even seem fazed by it. They even joked with me about it, which in my group of friends is a good thing. I didn't really think they'd mind and I'm glad they are okay with it but I'm worried about other people finding out. Most people at the school think I'm bi or lesbian already but I've never said I was. Until recently I was straight and I told people who asked me about it that I was, but now I don't know if I should tell them the truth or not. I'm really scared one of the bullies will find out. I finally got them to stop harassing me about other stuff and now if they find out this, I'm afraid the will use it against me or that some one from my church will find out.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 am
Honestly...

I think you're too wrapped around the negatives. You're focused on what could happen rather than what should happen. If anyone has a problem with your sexuality, then that's their issue, not yours. Furthermore, if your friends don't take it lightly, then they're not friends - simple. As for the bullies, get your school administration involved. The last thing a school wants is publicity for bullying.

Remember, you are YOU, not what anyone else thinks you should be.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 am
lgtenos
Honestly...

I think you're too wrapped around the negatives. You're focused on what could happen rather than what should happen. If anyone has a problem with your sexuality, then that's their issue, not yours. Furthermore, if your friends don't take it lightly, then they're not friends - simple. As for the bullies, get your school administration involved. The last thing a school wants is publicity for bullying.

Remember, you are YOU, not what anyone else thinks you should be.

If they do bully me, I don't think getting the administration involved is a good idea. When I used to be bullied, my parents and I went to the administration and nothing ever really happened to the bullies. Things usually got worse and so I just started trying my best to take care of things myself. The only time that any administration involvement helped was once after I had gone to them countless times before. Some girls from a class of mine had been bullying me and when I finally got out of the class due to a semester change, they stopped doing it in class but did it in the halls. I talked to the teacher, who was the JROTC instructor, and it finally stopped. I guess he threatened to take their rank away or something but it was the only time that it worked.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 am
Wow, your administration sucks. You do know that you can get the police involved as well.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:07 am
lgtenos
Wow, your administration sucks. You do know that you can get the police involved as well.

Yeah but most of the stuff they do I can't really prove or they might turn it back onto me because sometimes I cuss them out when I get mad enough. It was the only way they would leave me alone in middle school and now its a habit.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 am
dont be afraid to be yourself. those bullies mean nothing to you. do what i do in any given crisis. LAUGH. they tease you, harass you, call you names.....so what? you're better than them and prove it to them by laughing it off. I survived my high school years by laughing off my problems and nobody ever bothered me after that.

to quote Roger Rabbit, "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have"  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:02 am
Good luck, I personally do not have any experience with this because I was home schooled my since Kindergarten. Bullies are going to happen. Try not to cuss them out, because, as you said, they can use it against you. Try to put up a brave face, hopefully they will bully you less if they do not get a reaction. But as I said, I do not have any personal experience.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:58 am
DJ Arctic Wolf
dont be afraid to be yourself. those bullies mean nothing to you. do what i do in any given crisis. LAUGH. they tease you, harass you, call you names.....so what? you're better than them and prove it to them by laughing it off. I survived my high school years by laughing off my problems and nobody ever bothered me after that.

to quote Roger Rabbit, "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have"

Thanks. I'll try that. I've got one last year here and so hopefully I wont have to deal with them anymore after I graduate.  

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm
Yoseisame
Good luck, I personally do not have any experience with this because I was home schooled my since Kindergarten. Bullies are going to happen. Try not to cuss them out, because, as you said, they can use it against you. Try to put up a brave face, hopefully they will bully you less if they do not get a reaction. But as I said, I do not have any personal experience.

Screw that; you gotta fight; take s**t from no one!! As for the coming out process, go to someone you trust the most. I've also learned that everyone don't need to know especially if you know they will look down on you.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 pm
Hmm.....i do have a lot of experience with bullies.
Only verbal though (even these idiots aren't that stupid) and if it's verbal, then it doesn't matter. They're not a part of your life that they care about, their opinions shouldn't matter to you, so whatever they try to say to you is insignificant. Worthless. Just remember everytime they say something, ignore them, they aren't important, and be polite and walk away. Always worked for me. Most bullies like that are doing it for attention or to make you feel bad. So if you deny them the attention and don't let them get to you, they move on.

If they're physical bullies either grafitti kind or hitting kind, then don't bother. Just go to your police department. It only takes once.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 am
BSPBleach
Only verbal though (even these idiots aren't that stupid) and if it's verbal, then it doesn't matter. They're not a part of your life that they care about, their opinions shouldn't matter to you, so whatever they try to say to you is insignificant. Worthless. Just remember everytime they say something, ignore them, they aren't important, and be polite and walk away. Always worked for me. Most bullies like that are doing it for attention or to make you feel bad. So if you deny them the attention and don't let them get to you, they move on.

If they're physical bullies either grafitti kind or hitting kind, then don't bother. Just go to your police department. It only takes once.

That's what my mom always tells me but when I do that, I know it should make me feel better that I took the high road and didn't say anything back but I usually feel worse for not standing up for myself.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:13 am
Carolina_K_Jones
BSPBleach

That's what my mom always tells me but when I do that, I know it should make me feel better that I took the high road and didn't say anything back but I usually feel worse for not standing up for myself.
Well you are standing up for yourself in a way. You don't always have to stoop to their levels and expectations to fight back.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Carolina_K_Jones

5,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 am
BSPBleach
Carolina_K_Jones
BSPBleach

Well you are standing up for yourself in a way. You don't always have to stoop to their levels and expectations to fight back.
Yeah. I took your advice when some girls were calling me a hoe and just kept walking. My friend wanted to go back and do something to them but I just told him to keep walking and I still feel a little bad but I'm glad I didn't say anything to them  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am
Carolina_K_Jones
BSPBleach
Carolina_K_Jones
BSPBleach

Yeah. I took your advice when some girls were calling me a hoe and just kept walking. My friend wanted to go back and do something to them but I just told him to keep walking and I still feel a little bad but I'm glad I didn't say anything to them
i'm sorry you feel bad. I'm glad though you took my advice and didn't spread the negativity around smile  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:53 pm
Yea i kinda went through a phaze where i just came out to anyone who asked ( last week sweatdrop ) About the bullying issue. If you approach it with confidance like you dont really care, and are proud of who you are you are going to have more luck. Other than that im not sure, we have a huge gay community at our school so the bullying thing is rare.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games