Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
University and grades

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Herr Sinne

Beloved Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:13 pm
I just want to rant for a bit.

I hate it when people complain about university.
I mean, you're a ******** student because you want to be there.

Being a student is basically your ******** JOB.
a good GPA is what you get when you perform your job well.
Understand that s**t.

Plus, think about it like this, you just spent seven hundred plus dollars for a ******** 'D' or 'C'.

Lazy students piss me off.

P.S. If I get invited to another ******** honor society I'm going to freak the ******** out. I've been to six induction ceremonies already. I'm just gonna grab my certificate, some free food, and get the ******** out of there.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:22 am
I've noticed that, too. A lot of my classmates don't pay attention in class, throw away their assignment sheets and then have no idea what they're supposed to do in the project. Then they whine that the teachers aren't explaining anything.

I'll admit there are a few crappy teachers, but why would anyone lay their head down and give up instead of googling a better explanation? You know who's teaching me InDesign? Youtube. But if that's what it takes to get a better grade, I'm gonna do it. Whether we pass or fail, we don't get that money back. XD

....though I will admit, I'm not sure if anyone's going to pass that computer class. The teacher hasn't graded anything and we're two months in. >_>;  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Bebbo

9,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am
I find the most ungrateful students to be the ones where its not their money they are spending for school and that they're only in school to please their parents.

It's annoying to get paired with those people for projects mad  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:05 pm
I have a teacher who explicitly states that she is going to post assignments online as well as e-mail us about them and tell us about them in class. The class is small {about 30 or so students}. There's always that one person who comes into class the next day, talking about how unfair it is that they missed the assignment because they didn't know about it. Seriously? Check your emails. Pay attention in class. You basically get around 5 different reminders. That's more than enough.  

0-DCB

Aekea Scarface

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:54 pm
Bebbo
I find the most ungrateful students to be the ones where its not their money they are spending for school and that they're only in school to please their parents.

It's annoying to get paired with those people for projects mad

That's for damned sure. XD When it's YOU paying that kind of money, you fight to get your money's worth.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:26 pm
what i find interesting is that my parents and their friends seem to think that uni is fun and a free ride, because they didn't have to pay for it (university used to be free here). they think that because i'm at university, i'm always slacking off, when actually, i'm averaging upwards of 15 hours a week outside of class, for every subject, not spending my time on facebook and tumblr.

when i am on tumblr or my wordpress blog, it’s because that’s what’s going to get me experience in the field i want to work in, people need to see how you write and how you engage with an audience before they even think about giving you a shot at following some journalist around.

as for slack students, well, the only person who’s losing out there is them, so i don't really care, i just sit back, watch the train wreck and laugh to myself.

diffun

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 pm
but you also have to remember the whole 'bell curve' thing. Like i try hard, i work hard in all my classes and i'm still having trouble, i've been unable to get a mark higher then a 70%, i makes me feel like i'm dumb, i'm trying and i like being in school i do all my work, i study and submit it in on time.

I agree, that if your not trying to have no right to complain, but what if you are trying? And you are doing everything you can?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm
I'll admit, I procrastinated, I felt a bit skimped on information, and group projects could be train wrecks sometimes; but I got my work done on time and I didn't complain about it.

My only complaint about College is the rising tuition. The semester after I got my BA, the tuition rates rose by 39%, and they cut a bunch of programs from the school.

I guess I should also turn to Youtube to learn InDesign, Quark, 3Dmax, and all those other crazy overpriced programs they didn't have available in school anyway. I'm broke though, so actually buying those programs to practice is out of the question and even if I found somewhere to pirate them, this computer is probably too old to run them.  

Phaeton 2

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm
Treasure and value your education dearly. Not everyone in the world is half as lucky as you are to even go to university or college.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:29 pm
Phaeton 2

I guess I should also turn to Youtube to learn InDesign, Quark, 3Dmax, and all those other crazy overpriced programs they didn't have available in school anyway. I'm broke though, so actually buying those programs to practice is out of the question and even if I found somewhere to pirate them, this computer is probably too old to run them.

For every expensive name brand program there is a free opensource program similar to it. I survived the Photoshop half of an intro to CG class because I knew how to use Gimp. Heck, I did my homework in Gimp because I can't even pay the student price for those programs. XD  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm
For the students that don't have a job or anything to do but still slack off, then yeah. That's stupid.

But I know a few people that don't have a great GPA more because they don't have time to both work enough to pay college fees and living expense and to do all their work well. I know someone that pretty much works most of her week. She barely has time for sleep.

But eh. I get lazy in a class if it's too easy. My work also goes down if I'm just really busy, which happens.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games