Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Pep talk please? Need a bit of help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:12 pm
So lately I've been thinking, even though the idea of sleeping with someone disgusts me at this point, that aside from that aspect I'm bisexual (and yet asexual for my lack of desire for sleeping with anyone.) and should come out to my family.

Here's my issue, they all would accept me, but I still can't tell them. I KNOW they will, they've made many good bisexual friends in my grade level and I should have no issues.

But I'm too scared to say it. I've tried, but every time I get the idea either I get too scared to or they've gone before I can say anything, THEN I'mm too scared.

Help?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 pm
SilentVex
I KNOW they will...

You've answered your own question. Good luck~  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 pm
lgtenos
SilentVex
I KNOW they will...

You've answered your own question. Good luck~

I may have answered it, doesn't mean I can do it. It's like, I stand there, I'm about to tell them, and I freeze mentally. And I know there's no reason to be afraid, but the idea of telling them terrifies me still.

Like... It's hard to explain. There's that small 'What if' Voice that pops up or something and makes me doubt for just long enough for the oppertunity to pass.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 pm
Hmm.....maybe you need negative therapy. You say that you know they will be okay with it right? There's just that little voice in the way?

Ok. Indulge it. Go through it in your mind. What are the worst possibilities that can happen. They could alienate you, shun you, kick you out. But like you said, they'll be cool with it. So them doing something so extreme is a bit ridiculous no?
Then try thinking of positive responses and outcomes. And while thinking of them, just do it. Say 'I'm bi'. Don't fuss with easing into it. Gives ya time to whimp out razz once you've said it aloud, it actually becomes like 200% easier to say so you can pretty it up after.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 am
BSPBleach

I agree with her! The only reason you might be scared, is because you think deep down somewhere, they won't except you. Other than that, if you know they'll except you then go for it! The best time to announce something is during dinner. Because everyones sitting down (even if you watch tv while eating dinner, ask to pause) just say "I've had something to tell you guys for awhile, and please listen, and wait until I am finished" or something along those words, grab there attention. And sometimes it's best to tell a person at a time. Either way, I wish you good luck!
Also one more tip, simply think of how brave you are that you are coming out, that's really big ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 am
Write them a letter then make yourself give it to someone in your family to read. Might be easier than saying it.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Emma Darkness Joanes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:27 am
I know it's hard. I haven't told my parents yet either. I'm afraid they won't accept me. But I will make a deal with you.
SilentVex

Here's my issue, they all would accept me, but I still can't tell them. I KNOW they will, they've made many good bisexual friends in my grade level and I should have no issues.

But I'm too scared to say it. I've tried, but every time I get the idea either I get too scared to or they've gone before I can say anything, THEN I'mm too scared.

Help?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 am
Well first of all you don't need to sleep with anyone to be bi. It's perfectly fine not wanting to sleep with anyone and being bi; don't listen to the peer pressure!

There's not a big rush to come out to your family. Being only fifteen they might not even take you seriously anyway and it could be one big, huge, awkward experience. There is a small rush to come out though, depending on your situation. I'm heading out to college this August and I haven't come out. Bad idea. I'm sure they already suspect, but trust me: you don't want to come out as you're leaving. There are a lot of feelings and other complications you probably won't think about 'till it comes. If you're not leaving for college after high school, then there really is no rush at all, but you should think long-term.

The sooner you come out the sooner you get it over with, but the less likely they'll take you seriously. In my experience the fear never goes away. My ideal coming-out-time was probably last year. Just be strong and remember that there are much more important things to occupy yourself with. C:  

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 am
Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try to come out again today... to my mother at least. I am most certain she'd accept me, a bit less certain of the dad...

If only from not having him around. Attempt 17... hope it works.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 pm
SilentVex
Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try to come out again today... to my mother at least. I am most certain she'd accept me, a bit less certain of the dad...

If only from not having him around. Attempt 17... hope it works.
Good luck! heart  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm
Sort of came out to Mom just now...

I think she was too asleep to realize what I said though. >< I'll probably just have to do it again in the morning, but at least I'll be able to sleep better tonight.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games