Other.
View Results

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 am
So I was watching Animal Planet, and this is what I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdjgUe3sh_c
That makes me really angry, but at both the cat and the owners. I don't think an pet should ever be allowed to get away with attacking the other members of the household, and personally? I'd whack that cat. I know some people think that's not right either, but if you're attacked, I think self-defense is your primary concern.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am
God I hate that show! I'm beginning to hate Animal Planet. Now I only watch it saturday nights for Pit Boss and Pit Bulls and Parolee's and Saturday mornings, if for some God-awful reason I'm up that early, for the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and the like, documentaries. Screw all the other crap they play!

If my cat did that, it'd get a either a firm bap, like another cat would give it, or it get a facefull of a spray bottle. If my dogs can't act like idiots, neither can my cat! (Assuming I had a cat).

This, children, is why you treat your cat LIKE A CAT. Not like a dog, not like a baby, like a CAAAAT scream

Ok. I'm done now.... XD  

Akari_32

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm
Well obviously the people on that show don't know how to handle the situation or they wouldn't be on the show. I don't see why hitting needs to be involved though since the guy who steps in was able to remedy the situation without ever raising a hand.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm
Oh, it's the City the Kitty clip. Honestly I'd do pretty much what Jackson Galaxy does. The cat has too much energy with no where constructive to put it. Much like an under-stimulated puppy. So redirecting the behavior and providing desirable outlets for his energy is the right way to go about it. City's getting a great reaction out of her, she runs she screams, he gets to chase her. Take away all the fun reactions and the behavior stops.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 pm
I do think Jackson Galaxy handled it best (he's trained to handle it after all), but I kinda want to genealize with this. City's problem was his excess energy and wild nature; other cats have different problems. In other words, what would you do with a cat that attacked whose problem wasn't clear?

To clarify about the word "smack", it would apply to all physical punishment. In my household, if our cat bites, hisses or scratches she gets a tap on the nose and my mom bites her on the tip of the ear, because that's what a mother cat would do. It works really well. She still has ways to show when she's unhappy, but except under extreme circumstances, she's very well-behaved. I spent an entire half hour after seeing City praising her and petting her because of all the things she doesn't do that he did.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm
I don't know about that cat, but the cat that I live with (not Sugar, she's an angel) is a vicious little ******** for no reason at all. Next time I'm walking by and he attacks me, he's getting kicked. Stormy (MIL's cat), was rescued as a kitten from hurricane Katrina and given nothing but love while he was growing up, from what i hear. You wouldn't know it if you've had an encounter with him. So much as look at him the wrong way (or the right way, he's not picky) and you're getting cut open. There have been times when I was walking somewhere, and just didn't see him because he was hiding, and he's gotten me. I almost refuse to walk around the house in shorts or pajama pants, because he whaps at you and you're wearing jeans, your legs will still end up a bloody mess. He's also sent the MIL to the hospital once, I believe. The only good thing is that once he lets out a growl, Blue comes to the rescue and he'll stand between you and the cat, facing him down so you can safely get by.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

tempestkitty

7,250 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am
a light smack on the nose. or a boot in the a** lol  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 am
I love all the suggestions of smacking the cat on the nose. Apparently you guys are unaware that that is where all the teeth are. If you want to behave like a cat, one with no claws too boot, than be prepared for the cat in question to also behave like a cat and up the intensity of their reaction. The only way a little face smack is going to stop a cat is if it is a cat that is too polite and well mannered to ever get to that level to begin with. In that case why are you smacking it?  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 am
i like that show. i think its great that they are starting to show that cats can be trained to act like a proper member of the family like dogs.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:40 pm
Krissim Klaw
I love all the suggestions of smacking the cat on the nose. Apparently you guys are unaware that that is where all the teeth are. If you want to behave like a cat, one with no claws too boot, than be prepared for the cat in question to also behave like a cat and up the intensity of their reaction. The only way a little face smack is going to stop a cat is if it is a cat that is too polite and well mannered to ever get to that level to begin with. In that case why are you smacking it?

Are you kidding? My mom's had cats when she was growing up, and it worked consistently with them. It works with our cat, not that we really have to do it anymore. Yes, our cat is well-behaved now, but early on when she was much more likely to bite and scratch, it was still easy to tap her on the nose without having to worry about being attacked. We are bigger than them. We aren't training tigers, we're training little kitty cats who have to deal with whatever punishment we see fit to give them. Animal abuse shows us that can be a very bad thing, but still...if you're wise about it, nose smacks can be really effective.'

When it comes to the teeth; all the nerves are up there too. It should only be mildly uncomfortable when you tap them (more of a tap than a smack), but they do tend to pause for a second after you do it. It's easy enough to get your hand out of the way.

And if they are the type to bite when punished, you keep your hands on the back of their neck. They can't bite you at all there and it restricts movement.  

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 am
Akari_32
God I hate that show! I'm beginning to hate Animal Planet. Now I only watch it saturday nights for Pit Boss and Pit Bulls and Parolee's and Saturday mornings, if for some God-awful reason I'm up that early, for the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and the like, documentaries. Screw all the other crap they play!

If my cat did that, it'd get a either a firm bap, like another cat would give it, or it get a facefull of a spray bottle. If my dogs can't act like idiots, neither can my cat! (Assuming I had a cat).

This, children, is why you treat your cat LIKE A CAT. Not like a dog, not like a baby, like a CAAAAT scream

Ok. I'm done now.... XD

Pit bulls and parollees is just a show about a hoarder. lol She keeps her dogs stacked on one another too. They just don't show those kennels. I think she is also way to picky about certain people that she adopts out too.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 am
The first time my dog bit me was also the last time she ever even thought about it. I flipped over over on her back and held her down then bit her neck (Gently obviously) lol. She was "aw snap I get this now" lol

I don't think hits are the best thing but as long as its not excessive and you don't like stare the animals down and make them feel like terrified then its okay. I think they are smart enough to realize they hurt you and you are getting them back. Animals play like that.  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 am
imabadspeler
Akari_32

Ok. I'm done now.... XD

Pit bulls and parollees is just a show about a hoarder. lol She keeps her dogs stacked on one another too. They just don't show those kennels. I think she is also way to picky about certain people that she adopts out too.

are we thinking about the same show? ive never seen her be uber picky about future owners. there are many rescues out there that are much much more picky about future owners than she has been.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 pm
Personally I think she has a right to be selective about who she adopts her pit bulls to. Seeing as the "Breed" [in quotes seeing as most people don't know what they are and there are several under the gun] is under serious watch and possible banishment country wide, a single mistake from any owner can lead to a city ban and the death of many dogs who cannot or are not relocated in time. And I've seen the kennels you talk about, they've shown them on the tv, they're not full kennels one on top of the other, but two dogs in the same kennel with an upper walkway to keep their "dens" seperated but both in the same general location.

I don't really watch animal plant's "FLUFF" shows anymore... They just make me angry... It's me or the dog was good, but I rarely catch it anymore due to scheduling.  

Akiska

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:15 am
imabadspeler
The first time my dog bit me was also the last time she ever even thought about it. I flipped over over on her back and held her down then bit her neck (Gently obviously) lol. She was "aw snap I get this now" lol

I don't think hits are the best thing but as long as its not excessive and you don't like stare the animals down and make them feel like terrified then its okay. I think they are smart enough to realize they hurt you and you are getting them back. Animals play like that.

Ok, I've been holding back on posting this, but for anyone thinking about doing this to their dog it is a terrible way to go about getting your dog to stop biting. I'm glad that it worked for you speler, but please don't recommend it to anyone else. You're lucky that your dog didn't escalate. It's very easy for a small n** to turn into a big bite using "alpha" rolls and biting the dog back. It can also create fear aggression, or just down right fear in the dog. It doesn't actually teach them anything just makes them afraid of their people. This type of "training" can actually make dogs more likely to bite strangers, or children. Depending on how far a person chooses to take it they can also take away a dogs signals. If a dog gets punished for air snaps and growling they stop. Then when the dog bites "out of nowhere" everyone is all surprised.

Breaking off play or the interaction the dog was enjoying when the bite happens is a much more effective overall way to go about it. They learn how to play correctly, and learn that there are consequences to playing out side the rules, mainly that the game ends. This also doesn't stop the dog from signalling that they're uncomfortable. It doesn't take away the growling, air snaps, or any other cut off signals. Making the dog and people around it safer in the long run.

For example when we first got Will (in sig) he bit and grabbed us all the time. For the first couple of weeks our arms and legs were covered in bruises from the pressure of his bites. Will never learned how and when to use his mouth when he was little so it took a couple of weeks. But constantly breaking off contact, play, petting, grooming, etc and continuing these activities when he kept his mouth to himself has resulted in a dog that doesn't put his mouth on us anymore. He's not 100%, he still forgets every now and then when he's really excited, but that's why I keep a tug toy on me when we're going into situations where he has the potential to get over excited. He redirects to the tug toy every time. Simply turning my head away from him brings his excitement down, and really is a punisher for him.

What you did is a quick fix. It worked for YOUR dog in that situation. It won't work for every dog. Hel if I'd tried that with Will I would have ended up in the hospital. Will is fear aggressive. Anything that frightens him is met with growls barking and teeth to back it up. Any confrontational or punishment based training with Will would have ended up with him dead and whoever tried it very injured.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games