Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Porcelain Marioneta

5,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:43 pm
Hey guys. So my aunt has about 3 litters of Pomeranian puppies and my family is thinking i should get one. But... and i mean big BUT here, my dog does not like other dogs at all. She doesn't seem to get along with other dogs well until after atleast a few months. She is the exact same way with people. She wont let anyone she doesn't know pet her. She growls but she wont bite if anything she is very afraid of new things. I have had her around many of my family members before but she is very nervous. She has anxiety medicine to take when she begins to shake but I have not found any reason why she behaves in this way. She sniffed the puppies today and then started whining. Usually that means she doesn't like what she is seeing. So my question is if I do get another dog will this help her get over this behavior?

However I am also afraid she might try to hurt the puppy if I pick it up or pay it any attention.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 pm
bump  

Porcelain Marioneta

5,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 pm
I would think that the more often you take your dog to see the puppies, the easier it should be for her to adjust towards acceptance of them. I suggest you keep your dog on a leash so you can at least pull her back to reprimand her if she starts to show any signs of aggression towards the puppies. Praise and pet your dog often when you are around the puppies to let her know it's OK.

It's possible that multiple puppies may be too much for your dog to handle all at once. Maybe you could try introducing her to just one puppy at a time. Most especially the one puppy that you may be getting, so she can try to get used to that particular puppy's personality and behavior.

Sometimes female dogs take on a motherly instinct when around a puppy or two. Though, just don't force your dog to accept them, as it may not be possible for her to do so with her anxiety issues. And if that is the case, perhaps you getting one of the puppies is not such a good idea.

I hope this works for you and I wish you the best of luck.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 pm
Eileen50
I would think that the more often you take your dog to see the puppies, the easier it should be for her to adjust towards acceptance of them. I suggest you keep your dog on a leash so you can at least pull her back to reprimand her if she starts to show any signs of aggression towards the puppies. Praise and pet your dog often when you are around the puppies to let her know it's OK.

It's possible that multiple puppies may be too much for your dog to handle all at once. Maybe you could try introducing her to just one puppy at a time. Most especially the one puppy that you may be getting, so she can try to get used to that particular puppy's personality and behavior.

Sometimes female dogs take on a motherly instinct when around a puppy or two. Though, just don't force your dog to accept them, as it may not be possible for her to do so with her anxiety issues. And if that is the case, perhaps you getting one of the puppies is not such a good idea.

I hope this works for you and I wish you the best of luck.
3nodding

thank you for the reply and I would take her around the other pups but my aunt has given away all of the puppies now and the one who has been picked will be here this friday. I begged them to wait a bit longer but the pups have to be taken in homes this weekend. So unfortunately I did not get to take her around the puppy. My dog only stays on a leash outside because she is an indoor dog. She is a small dog so her being outside is not an option. Also I do not know what will happen but I will keep this updated and posted as much as possible.  

Porcelain Marioneta

5,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items