Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Coping with stress Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm
mehwuvzgurlz
I don't know- I always seem to be stressed out. (or at least- I'm assuming that's why I'm always depressed... And my bad temper) listening to music is the best. My brain wont function enough to read if I'm stressed

Hm. If you're not sure why you are feeling depressed or stressed, it might help to make a list of things that are bothering you. Keep a notebook handy for a few days (or a memo app on a phone, I suppose xD) and keep track. It's hard to tackle a problem if you aren't even really aware it exists. Even if you already have a good idea of what's bothering you, it might help to write it out. *shrug* Depends on the person, of course.

Veneficus Monstrum
This may sound odd, but listening to songs in a different language other than English really helps. Since I (usually) can't understand what they're saying, I can kind of feel the music on a different level, so it's just pure emotion. Then I just sing and the rest is history. xp

But it's mostly sad or calm sounding songs.

Doesn't sound too odd to me. biggrin I used to have a playlist that consisted solely of foreign-language songs that I used to help me sleep. If I can understand the words, I can't help but focus on them to some extent.

Emo Kuromi Nui
@Taeryyn: Yes headaches are indeed miserable, I get them every day.
Well for me, pulling my hair is like slamming my head against the wall, it may be to try and erase the stress or to get attention in public??? ^ ^;;;

So some kind of physical release? Or, the physical sensation distracts from whatever's bothering you?
If it's something you do in public, and you receive attention for it, is it good attention? Do you think perhaps there might be a better way to get attention? I apologize if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just curious. sweatdrop

The Neko CatGirl
Anime. Simple, effective solution to all of your problems. xd

x3 Whatever floats your boat. I haven't watched much anime that I enjoyed all that much.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:13 pm
Dressing up! Putting on fancy clothes or a costume always gives me confidence. I have more swagger in a ball gown than I ever could in jeans. It takes away that shrinking, panicky feeling stress gives me.  

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm
Shiny Leather Boots
Dressing up! Putting on fancy clothes or a costume always gives me confidence. I have more swagger in a ball gown than I ever could in jeans. It takes away that shrinking, panicky feeling stress gives me.

That's a suggestion I honestly haven't heard before! It makes sense, though, if you're all spiffied up and feeling confident, you might feel more prepared to tackle whatever's nagging at you. Even if you don't, it might at least cheer you up.

My younger brother dresses in drag, and he swears that it's done wonders for his self-esteem. x3 Of course, that's a slightly different variation of dressing up, but the general idea is the same.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:04 pm
Taeryyn
Shiny Leather Boots

That's a suggestion I honestly haven't heard before! It makes sense, though, if you're all spiffied up and feeling confident, you might feel more prepared to tackle whatever's nagging at you. Even if you don't, it might at least cheer you up.

My younger brother dresses in drag, and he swears that it's done wonders for his self-esteem. x3 Of course, that's a slightly different variation of dressing up, but the general idea is the same.

The best part is you can sometimes get a little song-and-dance number to go along if you're in costume xd  

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 pm
Shiny Leather Boots

The best part is you can sometimes get a little song-and-dance number to go along if you're in costume xd

xD
I'm trying to picture myself doing this, without much success. My avatars on Gaia can be pretty flamboyant, but in real life, I am very much a jeans-and-teeshirts kind of guy.

It sounds fun, though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:32 pm
@Taeryyn: "Sensation distraction." I get ignored so it helps me block people out, and no...no one pays attention... sweatdrop
A better way for me to get attention?? Be reborn...just kidding.
I guess if I wasn't so rude and was nicer to people. -w-  

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm
Well, to be honest, if I saw someone hurting themselves in public (hair-pulling or smacking against a wall), I am not sure that I would pay attention to them. I would probably avoid them. sweatdrop It's judgmental on my part, but there is something to be said about being approachable.

I am quite reserved and I can be shy, so I can come off as being very unapproachable, without meaning to do so.

Also, as for positive coping methods, I'd like to add cooking to the list. I realized that I find it quite relaxing to come home from a frustrating day at work and to prepare something healthy and delicious from scratch. It's productive, and I need to eat anyway, so it might as well be something that's good for me. I won't lie, though: a glass of wine and some good music really complete the whole scenario. x3  
Off-Topic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff