Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I kind of want to breed my dog... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KissJohnnyDepp

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 pm
PLEASE do NOT breed your dog. 6 million cats and dogs are killed EACH YEAR in the U.S.A because they have no homes. By breeding your dog you are killing the lives of puppies rotting in shelters. Plus odds are 2/5 of your litter will end up in a pound and be killed. Please have compassion.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:59 am
As Shanna66 said breeding dogs, whether trying to get purebred or mixed bred puppies, takes a lot of work and planning. Both dogs should be checked for health problems and make sure they are healthy enough for breeding. The female could have a litter larger than average litter size for her breed. And as Akiska and Cowgirl said you could find a similar mix or a good guard dog at a shelter. There are also dogs in temporary homes that could be good guard dogs.  

vampireneko57

Vampiric Neko

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:52 am
Oh, you know if your neighbors want to buy the puppies, you should search petfinder or a shelter to find good guard dogs. Then refer your neighbors to them. Or adopt them and sell them.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:38 am
I thought about breeding my Pom just because I adore him to absolute pieces and I'd like to be able to have some of his progeny when he's gone.

In the end I got him neutered. Here's what led up to it.

He's half a rescue dog. There was an ad in the paper and my husband thought it would be a great Mother's Day gift. Not his fault, he didn't think it through. Either way, when I got him he was infested with fleas and just a mess, the poor little thing. Quite obvious whoever had him wasn't taking any care of him. But he's become my shadow and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

He's so loving and I thought it would be so great if he had some puppies and I had miniature Nanakis!

Then I really thought about it. I know nothing of his bloodline. I don't know if he's pure pom or a mutt (makes no difference to me) nor do I know if both his parents were healthy so breeding a dog to keep one or two pups and either sell/give away the rest is so irresponsible. I could be giving a family a sweet little puppy for it to become so loved and part of their family and then boom, it gets all these genetic diseases and becomes nothing but heartbreak. And it would be all my fault. I couldn't have that on my conscious, I just couldn't.

I am facing this with Nanaki. The way we acquired him was irresponsible of us but we are now prepared that anything could happen to him. He's healthy now but who knows how long that would last. To breed him for any reason would be the wrong reason.

I understand so much why you'd want to breed your dog, why anyone would. But there are so few good reasons why to do this with any animal. Generally the only one I can accept for myself would be to further a breed (good example is the Egyptian Mau with around like 200 kittens registered each year) or to widen the gene pool. Even so, breeding must be done with the utmost care and standards.

Besides, small dogs make the best alert dogs. They bark at everything. Nanaki barks at his own reflection or a dust ball.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers