Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Question about pansexuality?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm
When I am explaining pansexuality to people, their response is usually the same. "So, if you are attracted to all people, than you could be attracted to an infant or a child? Or someone who's a hundred years old?"

Are they right to make these assumptions, or am I just doing a bad job at explaining pansexuality? confused  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 pm
wiccan_sk8er
When I am explaining pansexuality to people, their response is usually the same. "So, if you are attracted to all people, than you could be attracted to an infant or a child? Or someone who's a hundred years old?"

Are they right to make these assumptions, or am I just doing a bad job at explaining pansexuality? confused

For me pansexual doesn't mean you have no standards or don't have a type- it just means that the standards you have aren't limited to biological sex, gender etc. Since for me consent is sexy- that pretty much means I'm not going to be lusting after someone who can't consent even if I think they are beautiful.

The definition of pansexuality really only talks about gender identities and biological sexes- so you can be pansexual and still only be attracted to someone your own age.

You could also answer those questions by describing what you find attractive- and for most people there's a part of that which is about how we relate to one another, the common ground we share and stuff. So that excludes people who can't consent, you can't connect with, and people who are so dramatically different from you that they're not appealing.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm
No, of course not. By all, they meant all genders (you would find men, women, transmen and transwomen and anyone outside the gender binary attractive and/or capable of falling in love with them and/or date them).

It has nothing to do with age. Liking children would be *****,********* is liking early prepubescent children, liking underage teens would be ephebophilia and liking gerontophilia is elderly people. There is a long list of paraphilias.

None of those has anything to do with sexual orientation but arousal (like a fetish).

Edit-I meant to say all genders and sexes. I assumed people would of gotten what I meant, but want to make it more clear.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
No, of course not. By all, they meant all genders (you would find men, women, transmen and transwomen and anyone outside the gender binary attractive and/or capable of falling in love with them and/or date them).
And all sexes! cat_3nodding  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Esiris
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
And all sexes! cat_3nodding

I am guess you are talking about biological, but yes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha

I am guess you are talking about biological, but yes.

Yep- because sex is biology but gender is the socio-psychological stuff that ties in with sex in a variety of ways.
Like, pansexuals can be attracted to anyone who is AFAB, AMAB or on the intersex spectrum, regardless of their gender identity and gender expression- but if they would limit it based on either gender or sex- they could probably be viewed as having many likes, but not universal likes the way "pan" suggests.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

boopster91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm
wiccan_sk8er

Quote:
by the way you and your boyfriend are really cute together. I'm hoping I can find someone that I can make me happy like the two of you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 am
Wooooah they are definitely getting the wrong idea about what pansexuality means. It has nothing to do with age. Just because you don't let what people have in their pants keep you from finding them attractive, doesn't mean your an omnisexual deviant who'd go after anything with a pulse.

Most people don't really know the specifics of orientations besides gay/straight/bi. So confusion is understandable, as long as they are willing to actually listen and learn.  

Enderlad

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:15 am
when people ask me what it means, the few times i use that term instead of bisexual, i just say it means i dont give a s**t, that i like who i like  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 am
Well, pansexuality for me is a person that doesn't really look at gender as much as it is characteristics and personality. I love people for their personality rather than looks. For me, I've been in enough f-ed up relationships that it nearly kills me everytime. Chalk it up to getting to open and close to people. I'm a pan and I just look for love is all.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items