Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking
Does Anyone Have Any Cheap But Tasty Recipes?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TemperamentalGoddess

Shadowy Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:23 pm
Does anyone have any recipes which are cheap to make?

I'm a student at the moment so I'm looking for anything cheap but really tasty that I can make.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm
What's your weekly food budget? Namely, how much money can you spend on food? Also, what storage space do you have handy and how would you prepare your food?  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

TemperamentalGoddess

Shadowy Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:24 pm
Gigi Deveraux
What's your weekly food budget? Namely, how much money can you spend on food? Also, what storage space do you have handy and how would you prepare your food?

About £30-40 a week after rents paid for everything.

If I get into the flat I want I'll have a at least two under counter cuboards and half of the fridge and half of the freezer.

I have lots of things that I can use to prepare food. I like meals that I can cook off and freeze then heat up when needed but I am willing to cook other meals if I feel like it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 pm
Do you have a slow cooker/crockpot?  

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:42 pm
If so, here are a few cheap and really easy recipes to cook.

Obviously, pot roast comes to mind when I think of slow cooking.
You could do BBQ Pulled pork from the leftover meat from the stew. Just simply take the meat, shred it, and add BBQ sauce. 2 meals right there.

I've done chicken and dumplings, which turned out wonderfully.

I recently did "fauxangna" in my crock. (fake lasagna)
This is just spaghetti sauce with cooked meat in it, like you would do with spaghetti, cheese raviolis, and cheddar cheese. Because it's all already cooked, youre basically just heating and melting cheese up. You layer everything, starting with the meat sauce, then a layer of raviolis, meat sauce ravioulis, etc till you either run out of one or the other, or the crock is filled. Add cheese on top. This was fantastic, and you can freeze the left overs easily. I just served out portions into zip lock bags, removed the air and tossed in the freezer.

You can easily do up freezer "toss and go" bags for the crock too. Through your ingredients in a gallon freezer bags and freeze. When you are ready to use them, just pull out of the freezer and toss into the crock pot in the morning. Here is a website with some ideas for these bags.

722 crockpot recipes.

You can also freeze up soups in a muffin tin and then store them. When ready to use, you can throw them into a mug, pop in the microwave, and wahla, fast simple cheap dinner!

If you'd like any more recipes, breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks to make in the crock pot, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some great recipes. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm
Skaterneogirl

About £30-40 a week after rents paid for everything.

If I get into the flat I want I'll have a at least two under counter cuboards and half of the fridge and half of the freezer.

I have lots of things that I can use to prepare food. I like meals that I can cook off and freeze then heat up when needed but I am willing to cook other meals if I feel like it.

I see. Since I don't know average market prices for your location, I'll just give you some general advice.

First and foremost, learn the sales patterns in your area grocery shops. Keep the ads and/or flyers for the local stores, and visit to see what goes on sale each week.

Stay away from the processed packaged food section. Other than some things like broths and seasonings, you don't really need them, especially if you're cooking for just yourself. (Comfort foods are an exception; mine is instant mashed potatoes - bought on sale, of course!)

Stock up on staple dry foods that keep a long time. Pastas, rice, dried beans and legumes, certain mixes (like for pancakes/waffles) and other grains. Canned foods are also best bought on sale, especially things you use frequently.

If you pool resources with your flatmate, you can jointly buy a large tray of meats and split it. Freeze portions in resealable sandwich bags. You can also do this with frozen vegetables.

Only buy as much fresh produce as you're sure you will consume within the week. The same goes for milk, if you drink it. Cheeses and cold cuts can stay good for up to a month in the refrigerator.

Faebella

This. So much this. Especially on days when I don;t feel like doing much, I just throw a few things into the slow cooker and let dinner make itself. A rice cooker can also serve as a slow cooker, just make sure whatever you're making comes to a boil, then turn it down. Also, be sure to place tin foil under the lid if it's vented.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

TemperamentalGoddess

Shadowy Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 pm
Faebella

I don't know what they are.

I do have casserole dishes though.

edit - I have some of the big supermarkets in my area, namely Tesco and Lidl.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm
Skaterneogirl
Faebella

Giiiiirl. You don't know what your missing!
This is a staple in most homes! Lol.

You could find one cheap at a thrift store I'm sure.
You should go out and buy one. This will be your best friend.

Here is an Amazon search for crock pots if you wanted to buy new.
Really, look into finding one, they are a blessing.  

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

TemperamentalGoddess

Shadowy Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 am
Faebella
Skaterneogirl
Faebella

Giiiiirl. You don't know what your missing!
This is a staple in most homes! Lol.

You could find one cheap at a thrift store I'm sure.
You should go out and buy one. This will be your best friend.

Here is an Amazon search for crock pots if you wanted to buy new.
Really, look into finding one, they are a blessing.

I will try to save up for one then ^^ I believe my gran has one or used to have one but she rarely uses it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am
Skaterneogirl
Does anyone have any recipes which are cheap to make?

I'm a student at the moment so I'm looking for anything cheap but really tasty that I can make.

Easy two-tone fruit dip:

One packet of hot chocolate mix
One tub of whipped cream
One small jar cherries with juice
Toothpicks
Plate to hold fruit and dip
Assorted fruit to put in dip (sliced apples work well, as do segmented oranges but other, smaller fruits will need additional toothpicks):

1) drain cherry juice into whipped cream, stir until well blended
* put cherries into small bowl, set aside
2) stir hot chocolate into whipped cream mix until equally combined
*chill in refrigerator, until ready to serve

Arrange chosen fruit on plate, and place cherries & toothpicks next to dip
Enjoy!  

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Shrimp pasta. I think seafood is more expensive though, the small ones are, but I hate the jumbo, big shrimp.

Spicy chicken tenders! I think chicken is also a little pricey too.......ummmm.....I don't know I'm kind of a enspenvie shopper even though it bites me in the butt days later gonk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm
One of the things my husband and I do is homemade bread. Honestly it comes down to like, 30 cents a loaf. After you've done it a few times it's a peice of cake! Well, erm, bread but you get the general idea.

Dry beans are a must, since once they're cooked you can toss them into a pot for stewing or even blend them in a processor with a little bit of garlic salt, some salsa and fresh herbs and have a yummy spread for your toast!

Try to get things only on sale. Generally stores will have a cart or section specifically for items nearing their expiration date. Or damaged, like with dents. I got a giant can of severely dented pears for .70. I saved like, $3.

BibbityBoppityPOW

Feral Fairy

II-Inkubus-II

Unstoppable Hunter

14,775 Points
  • Married 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 pm
One of my favorite cheap and easy meals is baked sweet potatoes, with browned sweet italian sausage and sweet peas, piled on top of them, and shredded cheddar cheese on top. It's easy, and you can usually get two or three meals from one of each package of sausage, peas and cheese.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:36 pm
Casseroles are pretty cheap, I usually only use 2 or 3 ingredients and you can feed 2 people 4 helpings

Stews and big pots of soups can last me a couple of days too. Just make a big pot of it, eat, then store it, heat it back up, and eat again biggrin  

bunibby

Cluttered Cutie-Pie

18,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Friendly 100
16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items