Hey girls, a few questions from someone completely oblivious

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feezle

Snowfriend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm
Alright, this next Wednesday I will be entering my fourth year of college. Now, at the age of 21, I have only been in two relationships, one major, and both being online.
I have completely sworn off anything online, knowing I'm not capable of handling it, and also because it isn't good for me as someone who has been overcoming crippling shyness and social anxiety since I was in middle/high school.

This being said, I would like to date. I have never actually been asked out, and therefore never been on a date before. I have no idea how to act. But more importantly, I am utterly oblivious to what male flirting is like.

I don't have as much trouble talking to others, including men, as I have I the past. I am able to hold conversation and friendly eye contact without getting that rapid heartbeat, or my voice even cracking. I'd like to say I'm on about the same level socially as most average people. Back when I was younger, I used to never talk to anyone unless they were introduced by a friend, and even then it was difficult. Being approached by anyone used to make me feel cornered, and I'd get the classic heart-pounding-in-chest feeling, horrid flushing in the face, and all that jazz.

Thing is, I don't know how most people act normally, therefore I can't really differentiate flirting from normal behavior. So if anyone flirts with me, or has in the past, it's gone completely unnoticed. It's like I constantly give off the "I'm not interested" vibe, when in reality I'm just a complete and total derp. ಠ_ಠ

I guess in short, I'd like a bit of friendly adult-dating advice if anyone has anything to offer. I'm not DETERMINED to find a boyfriend. (I'm determined to pass all of my classes. >.>; ) I'd just like to be able to recognize when men are interested so that I can respond appropriately if I'm ever interested/not interested.

Thank you for reading. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 am
Well, I'm no expert. I've only been in two relationships, and neither were successful. But if a guy is interested in you, he might not acknowledge it. Guys are kind of shy. Flirting, however, you might be able to pick up. He'll most likely take a lot of interest in asking you questions. He'll talk to you (or text, or message online) often, asking about your past, your favorite things, and what you've been up to. He might go out of his way to do things, like suggest watching your favorite movie or ask questions about your favorite book. If he starts playing the: I know you super well game, then he's most likely interested. He might express physical flirting: hugging you, tickling you, going out of his way to be touching you.
Generally, you can usually tell between casual friendship and flirting by these signs. I understand being super shy, but if you start to have feelings for a guy and you think he has feelings for you, it's likely he won't say something. Not impossible, but you might have to take the leap and ask about his feelings.
If the situation is opposite, and you don't have feelings but you're pretty sure he does, still ask. If he does, explain that you are only friends and establish a boundary.
I hope this helps!

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

26. ✿ - - - Boys

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas