Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A huge dilemma for me

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hiroki_Chan01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:40 pm
So i'm a 19 year old White/Hispanic male who is bisexual and i'm really interested in Japanese culture including anime and J-rock and i'm also in the process of learning Japanese but i've noticed that it affects my relationships whether it be dating or just being friends.

It has become very difficult to be in a relationship or have very many friends because I have nothing in common with anyone I have had a couple people tell me that I mite as well move to Japan or just date someone who is Japanese which by the way really offended me so what should I do? I need someones advice or opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 pm
You really shouldnt worry about it i mean i had the same problem you do but i found people in comon with in a new city so you dont have to move to japan just look outside were you live you dont have to go too far.  

CrazyKidd22

TheyFoundTheBodies

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 pm
wow, they're rude. punch them in their stupid facestell them to go ******** themselves that everyone has different tastes and how their tastes are inferior and that should be respected. then beat them with crowbars  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 pm
Your tastes in things should not affect any relationship. Everyone has different tastes in things, and that needs to be respected, regardless if your friends like it or not. If they don't like that and are hurting your feelings in such a way, then they're not being respectful of who you are and that's not acceptable.

You should at least tell those people that you like what you like, and that will never change and that you won't change anything about yourself for them, and if they don't like that, then those people shouldn't be your friends.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have common tastes, as well as people who will accept you of you. ^^

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:37 am
Find people you do have things in common with. You can make friends at conventions or clubs if they have one.

Friends should like you no matter your hobbies and respect your different interest, they don't should like good friends if they aren't doing so. Though it can be hard if you have nothing in common with someone. Do you have any other interests and hobbies? You can meet others exploring new things and other hobbies. I met most of my friends through belly dance and art.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 am
I know how you feel, it happened when I switched school, alot of my friends from my old one had a lot of things in common with me, but when i switched i met new friends, they didn't really have much in common, but when we started being friends i showed them what i liked and they showed me what they liked, we might have had some disagreements but we got through it.

Like 3Amarantth13 said about having people who accept you for you, ya my friends did just that. Even if I'm alittle weird. They are the same ones who i told I was Bi and they accepted me not being all weirded out.  

rhythmic_Nightmare

Romantic Lunatic

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 am
This day and age is so superficial... people only care about being popular in high school usually.
Nowadays kids and younger teens are starting to use cell phones as a sign of status. It's really quite sad,
I'm glad I grew up as a kid when I did, me and my sister weren't absorbed into technology. We were
outside 24/7, sneaking out of the house just to be at the park at night. But anyways, back on topic...
high school is not easy for a lot of people, like me, I ended up going to an alternative school but people
are so focused on being with what's "in" and "normal" which is what society makes it. I'm not classifying
what is or isn't normal but when you're thrown into a school with a thousand other kids, the crowd of kids
generally decides whats cool and whats not even though it's not stated by one person.

It doesn't matter what your interests are, like some people have mentioned in this thread, find people you
have things in common with. If people care what you like or don't like, they're either close-minded, or superficial,
or something.... but you shouldn't put yourself through the friendship if they're not going to accept you.
You being yourself, interests, hobbies, tastes(music, food), just everything.

Edit: Go to a convention, find a glomp game, you'll find tons of friends... I made so many friends one summer
because I decided to join the glomp game. I never actually went to a convention but I met a lot of cool
people that liked anime and japanese culture but also had other interests. I remained friends with a lot of them
even though it's been 3 years and I haven't even been to a convention yet.

TL;DR: People grow more and more superficial these days, whats cool and whats not is decided by the
general public of schools. Find people you have things in common, a friendship is not worth it if
they're not going to accept you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am
Well, you don't have to have a lot of similar tastes to be in a relationship. My boyfriend and I have our differences. Like, hes mostly democrat and I'm republican (haha funny right? a gay republican?), I'm more into games and he really isn't. I've had multiple jobs and he hasn't had one yet. So I mean, there are key differences you will have with your partner. The best thing to do is to try and bond with them and gain some of their interest as they will gain some of yours. It happens.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items