Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Density? Do you understand how to solve for it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The White Lily

Welcoming Sophomore

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 am
(56)What is the mass, in kilograms, of 14.0 L of gasoline? (Assume that the density of gasoline is 0.680 g/cm3.)

9.52kg

Thats the question, and answer, from a recent quiz I took in school today.
All I understand in Density = Mass/ Volume.
I am having serious issues doing the whole inverse operations with problems like these gonk If anyone is willing to sit through my questions, please help!

Note: In general, I understand inverse operations. + becomes - , / becomes x. So on. But with chemistry, my brain just dies. neutral

For those of you who took Chemistry or what you consider your most challenging course... How did you get through the days where nothing seemed to click?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 pm
I have taken six chemistry courses, and the only reason I didn't major in Chemistry is because I suck at math. (Funny...because I LOVE chemistry)

I found that having a little book of formulas and examples helped me a lot. I know that if I sat down and really looked at the problem I could tel you exactly how to do it...maybe. I'm not good at explaining how to do things, but I can tell you what helped me.

I asked my professor for help. Hardest thing to do is ask for help.
I took very good notes with little sample problems, so I could see exactly how i solved a problem step by step.

I kept a calculator on hand. Strangely having a lot of simple practice problems that show you step by step how to do things helps a lot. I took Highschool Chemistry, General Chemistry, BioChem, Clinical Chemistry I, Clinical Chemistry II, and I did a wonderful Chemistry Clinical Rotation...I still struggle with the math of it and setting up the problems, so you aren't alone smile  

Tanseki

Genius

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lozzieful

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 am
The White Lily

Easy peasy; this is just a simple case of algebra. emotion_yatta
It's the Mass that we've been asked to find out. So If M/V = D, then we know that M = D x V.

Then, all you do is substitute D and V with the measurements you've been given, then let your calculator do the rest (so 14 x 0.68 ). Here's what exactly I would write down as an answer in a question paper to gain full marks, I hope it helps:

User Image

The key here is not letting yourself get confused by the chemistry aspect of it; at the end of the day the question is still just your run of the mill mathematics. 3nodding
If you're stuck with anything else, just let me know. I hope my answer here has helped you overcome the chemistry blank for this type of question. ;D  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games