O.G. Prophet

8,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm
Having problems with an animal?
Please ask away

I'm not a complete expert, but I have a lot of knowledge of any kind of animals, so please ask away if you have any questions or concerns and I would love to help.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am
I have a question about dwarf hamsters. Its a bit morbid, but do you know if its common for them to die of a heart attack/some kind of rodent seizure? Ive had 3 throughout my life. I always take good care of them, but only one of the 3 died of natural causes, it seems. The other two seized up after becoming very weak for a good 5 hours, and they just kind of keel over. I had them all at different times, so none of them were in cages together or anything. I like to think I know a bit about animals but my main thing is cats, I havent really looked into dwarf hamsters before XD Also your signature is adorable! I love Wolf's Rain <3  

Maddy-Mazey

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100

Curious Cathryn

O.G. Prophet

8,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 pm
madelynheston
I have a question about dwarf hamsters. Its a bit morbid, but do you know if its common for them to die of a heart attack/some kind of rodent seizure? Ive had 3 throughout my life. I always take good care of them, but only one of the 3 died of natural causes, it seems. The other two seized up after becoming very weak for a good 5 hours, and they just kind of keel over. I had them all at different times, so none of them were in cages together or anything. I like to think I know a bit about animals but my main thing is cats, I havent really looked into dwarf hamsters before XD Also your signature is adorable! I love Wolf's Rain <3

Hi!! Thanks :3
I love dwarf hamsters I'm sorry to hear about your babies RIP
What I know about them is, with any small rodent, they are easily frightened and sometimes if something frightens(maybe your cats couldve been startling them perhaps?) them enough they can go into seizures and/or heart attacks. Their heart is the biggest organ they have and since dwarves are so small sometimes they can be very sensitive to having heart problems. Specially if they are already sick. here's something that could help
"Atrial Thrombosis:
Hamsters are prone to heart disease. Atrial thrombosis occurs when a clot forms in one of the large, thin-walled chambers of the heart, individually known as atrium and collectively as atria. It occurs most commonly in the left atrium, where oxygen-rich blood from the lungs returns to the heart and is passed to the left ventricle, where it is pumped out to the body. This is the most common cause of spontaneous death in hamsters between 1 and 2 years old. There is no known preventive. It is rarely diagnosed in a living hamster, and no known treatments have been published. "
from this website

If their environments are sound and well kept and they appear to of been healthy Atrial Thrombosis is possibly your best bet to loosing your friends.
They say dwarves can live up to 3 years, even more!
Sometimes a poor diet, poor environments can lead to death also.
Hope that helped!

If you'd like to know more about what kind of environment/cages/bedding or anything I can give you my recommendations. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am
_Knox Wolf_
madelynheston

Hi!! Thanks :3
I love dwarf hamsters I'm sorry to hear about your babies RIP
What I know about them is, with any small rodent, they are easily frightened and sometimes if something frightens(maybe your cats couldve been startling them perhaps?) them enough they can go into seizures and/or heart attacks. Their heart is the biggest organ they have and since dwarves are so small sometimes they can be very sensitive to having heart problems. Specially if they are already sick. here's something that could help
"Atrial Thrombosis:
Hamsters are prone to heart disease. Atrial thrombosis occurs when a clot forms in one of the large, thin-walled chambers of the heart, individually known as atrium and collectively as atria. It occurs most commonly in the left atrium, where oxygen-rich blood from the lungs returns to the heart and is passed to the left ventricle, where it is pumped out to the body. This is the most common cause of spontaneous death in hamsters between 1 and 2 years old. There is no known preventive. It is rarely diagnosed in a living hamster, and no known treatments have been published. "
from this website

If their environments are sound and well kept and they appear to of been healthy Atrial Thrombosis is possibly your best bet to loosing your friends.
They say dwarves can live up to 3 years, even more!
Sometimes a poor diet, poor environments can lead to death also.
Hope that helped!

If you'd like to know more about what kind of environment/cages/bedding or anything I can give you my recommendations. razz

The first two were around my cats so thats a definite possibility :c The other one was seperated. He was always aggressive XD I'd love to hear your recommendations! I plan to get another little hammy perhaps in the future. I kept their cages clean, but Obviously the environment for the first two wasnt the best >_> XD  

Maddy-Mazey

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items