Interview help! O_o

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

crackerlover

Rainbow Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm
I have an interview this Friday and I'm really nervous. What I know is that the clothing is business casual. Besides that I don't know what to do. How do I fix my resume? What questions should I ask? And how do I calm down. I really want this job! emotion_donotwant Thank you in advance!~  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm
User Image User Image

Oh, I know what that feels like. Here's what you can do.
      Yeah, first of all, wear clothes accordingly. Wear light make up and fix your hair in a nice way. Also, if you've dyed your hair a somewhat radical color, you might want to dye it again with your hair's natural color. Accessories, like jewelry, might help; makes you look presentable, but again don't over do it.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to research something about the firm you're applying to. They sometimes ask people what they know of the company or how they think the company will fare in the following year. They think that if you're really interested about them, you'll know something about them beforehand. Also, while waiting for your turn, it wouldn't hurt to walk around your waiting area. See if they have a bulletin board or something where they place newsletters for the public to see. It gives you a much more recent update.

As to the resume, don't place that much importance in your HS achievements (like you graduated with special awards on something). Those things don't really matter to them. You might as well put everything that is relevant for the post you're applying for. For example, if you're applying for an artist's position, you might want to include the workshops you've attended, your knowledge of different computer programs like PhotoShop, etc. And lastly, once you've printed it out, look it at as if you're looking at a picture. Is there enough white space (meaning it's not that cluttered)? Think of the margin as the frame. You should be able to see enough white space between the pages, but the space shouldn't be that big (meaning that you haven't really placed much in it). You can also have someone else read it, preferably a friend, or (if you've just graduated from college) one of your professors. Family members might do, but it's just that they have a bias towards you; they'll look at you on a positive light when what you want is for someone to look at you neutrally (just like how an interviewer will look at you).

Hope it helps! Good luck with wink

User ImageUser Image

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

Meline Moon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 pm
Try and relax! Dress nice and neat. Hopefully you will get a nice and friendly interviewer. If you are really nervous at the start just tell your interviewer that you are, he/she will understand, hopefully.

If you want interview tips check out job sites like Monsterjobs, and snagajob, they have articles/videos of tips and tricks for resume/interviews. Very helpfull! 3nodding

For your resume make sure it is nice, neat and easy to read. Make sure to check for spelling and grammer. Also when putting down job skills try and taylor your resume to the job you are looking for. Like if your applying for a job at a store put down something like friendly appearance or something like that so the interviewer will see you as a possible match for the job. Also, get familiar with the things you stick on your resume. The interviewer may ask you questions about your skills and how you have used them in the past. Make sure to take a pad of paper with you to write stuff down so you don't forget., and to buy time to awnser a question.

Don't forget to ask lots of questions, whatever you think of like, "What do you expect of me? What are my goals here? What time do I need to be in by? When can I leave by?" "Is there a cafateria here?" That kind of thing. Good Luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Louisa Iris
User Image User Image

Oh, I know what that feels like. Here's what you can do.
      Yeah, first of all, wear clothes accordingly. Wear light make up and fix your hair in a nice way. Also, if you've dyed your hair a somewhat radical color, you might want to dye it again with your hair's natural color. Accessories, like jewelry, might help; makes you look presentable, but again don't over do it.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to research something about the firm you're applying to. They sometimes ask people what they know of the company or how they think the company will fare in the following year. They think that if you're really interested about them, you'll know something about them beforehand. Also, while waiting for your turn, it wouldn't hurt to walk around your waiting area. See if they have a bulletin board or something where they place newsletters for the public to see. It gives you a much more recent update.

As to the resume, don't place that much importance in your HS achievements (like you graduated with special awards on something). Those things don't really matter to them. You might as well put everything that is relevant for the post you're applying for. For example, if you're applying for an artist's position, you might want to include the workshops you've attended, your knowledge of different computer programs like PhotoShop, etc. And lastly, once you've printed it out, look it at as if you're looking at a picture. Is there enough white space (meaning it's not that cluttered)? Think of the margin as the frame. You should be able to see enough white space between the pages, but the space shouldn't be that big (meaning that you haven't really placed much in it). You can also have someone else read it, preferably a friend, or (if you've just graduated from college) one of your professors. Family members might do, but it's just that they have a bias towards you; they'll look at you on a positive light when what you want is for someone to look at you neutrally (just like how an interviewer will look at you).

Hope it helps! Good luck with wink

User ImageUser Image

Okay, I think I have dressing part down. I think. -_-' I researched a little bit. I love how they are thinking green. The think about my resume is that it's mostly empty. I don't have much experience. Will that affect me? Thank you for the advice!  

crackerlover

Rainbow Fatcat

crackerlover

Rainbow Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm
Meline Moon
Try and relax! Dress nice and neat. Hopefully you will get a nice and friendly interviewer. If you are really nervous at the start just tell your interviewer that you are, he/she will understand, hopefully.

If you want interview tips check out job sites like Monsterjobs, and snagajob, they have articles/videos of tips and tricks for resume/interviews. Very helpfull! 3nodding

For your resume make sure it is nice, neat and easy to read. Make sure to check for spelling and grammer. Also when putting down job skills try and taylor your resume to the job you are looking for. Like if your applying for a job at a store put down something like friendly appearance or something like that so the interviewer will see you as a possible match for the job. Also, get familiar with the things you stick on your resume. The interviewer may ask you questions about your skills and how you have used them in the past. Make sure to take a pad of paper with you to write stuff down so you don't forget., and to buy time to awnser a question.

Don't forget to ask lots of questions, whatever you think of like, "What do you expect of me? What are my goals here? What time do I need to be in by? When can I leave by?" "Is there a cafateria here?" That kind of thing. Good Luck!

I actually found the job opening through Snagajob. :3 The resume thing is the thing that's throwing me off since I don't have a lot of job experience. I have written down some questions to ask. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm
crackerlover

Okay, I think I have dressing part down. I think. -_-' I researched a little bit. I love how they are thinking green. The think about my resume is that it's mostly empty. I don't have much experience. Will that affect me? Thank you for the advice!

User Image User Image

Hmm... maybe what you could do is this: think of the position you are applying for. Then think of what you know (forget the experience if you don't have any... we all have to start at 0, so it's understandable if you don't have any) that would be useful for the position you're aiming at (like your college degree or the subjects that you took). If you can't put them down in words, that's what the interview is for. That's where you explain yourself further.

And don't worry that much if your resume's a bit blank. If you've just finished college, then it's understandable for it to be quite, well, empty. I mean, what working experience will you place there if you've been studying full time right? Companies actually find it a bit arrogant for new grads to put so much information on their resume (especially if most info are just rubbish).

User ImageUser Image

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

Meline Moon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 pm
crackerlover
Meline Moon

I actually found the job opening through Snagajob. :3 The resume thing is the thing that's throwing me off since I don't have a lot of job experience. I have written down some questions to ask. Thank you!

Don't worry about job experience, there is nothing that yoou can do about that. Just emphasize the things you do have like school completion, and extra-curricular activities that show you have the qualities needed for the job. Also, make sure to thank the interviewer after your session is over. Then don't forget to follow up with the inteviewer to see if you got the job. whee  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games