Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I don't get it, I always hear that on the Food Network when shows like Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout come on. I know that when you are in food service and serving people that you should not be rude, but even if you are nice, not everyone is going to tip you. So what the heck is up with the saying tips are your paycheck? It's is obviously not true, no one is going to work at someplace where getting money from other people is a constant question mark, those workers get actual paychecks so what the heck?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:50 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

They do get paid an hourly wage, but in many places, their wages are MUCH lower than minimum wage precisely because they're expected to make it up (and then some) in tips. I've heard that the hourly wage is usually enough to pay the taxes on those tips. Now, the restaurant is supposed to make up the rest if you don't end up earning minimum wage, but I've heard of people getting screwed over by shady tactics.

Why would someone work like that? Well, a couple reasons. One, if they're a waitperson, they probably don't have much of a choice: it's either that or live on the street. I don't know of very many career waiters (though I'm sure there are people who love it). Two, sometimes you can come away with A LOT of money. You can even do $4-8/hr (or more) above minimum wage depending on your haul. Even if some don't tip, most people will, and then there's those who tip generously that balance out the non-tippers.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Aspirins And Alcohol

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm
Celestial Fireflies
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

They do get paid an hourly wage, but in many places, their wages are MUCH lower than minimum wage precisely because they're expected to make it up (and then some) in tips. I've heard that the hourly wage is usually enough to pay the taxes on those tips. Now, the restaurant is supposed to make up the rest if you don't end up earning minimum wage, but I've heard of people getting screwed over by shady tactics.

Why would someone work like that? Well, a couple reasons. One, if they're a waitperson, they probably don't have much of a choice: it's either that or live on the street. I don't know of very many career waiters (though I'm sure there are people who love it). Two, sometimes you can come away with A LOT of money. You can even do $4-8/hr (or more) above minimum wage depending on your haul. Even if some don't tip, most people will, and then there's those who tip generously that balance out the non-tippers.
This is true. While I am not a waitress I am a hairstylist and it operates under the same law since we make tips also
However if you for some reason do not make enough tips per hour to add up to what would be minimum wage and can prove it, your employer must make up the difference  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games