Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
Do you preserve or pollute the environment ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:18 pm
Who has not heard about the Kyoto protocol, global warming and pollution ?

Is preserving the environment important to you ?

What do you do to preserve the environment ?

What do you do that DOESN'T preserve the environment ?

What do you think ? Are we just selfish and aren't thinking about the future of Earth ?

My answers
Of course I heard of those things since I was in elementary school !
Preserving the environment is important to me however... my lifestyle is not favoring extremely the environment...
I do my best to not waste too much water (closing the robinet tightly), but I can take long shower...
I use public transportation, but I am sick of it, I want to have a car when I can afford it so... See I'm going to pollute the atmosphere !

I think we are selfish sad ,  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 pm
          Living, in itself, is a selfish act. Does this mean we should cease breathing altogether? No.

I actually never heard of the Kyoto protocol before, but global warming and pollution are deep concerns for me (especially plastic-related pollution). Stories of turtles or sea gulls starving or choking to death on plastic grocery bags are always saddening to me.

I use paper or reusable bags whenever I can when I go shopping. Paper certainly has its problems, but I have been using the same three for quite some time now. And the reusable bags were freebies from various places; they are washed along with the laundry to eliminate pathogens. I really would like to purchase a few more from BlueQ when I get the chance. ♪

I am also hoping to reduce the amount of plastic in my clothing. Synthetic fibers are often derived from petroleum, which irks me. At the same time, I cannot break away from them completely; tights are often made of nylon, and faux leather bags are often made of polyurethane. Why, even the ink we use to print papers on is petroleum-based, more often than not. Again, decisions always require some level of selfishness.

Of course, improvements can always be made: only good habits are worth recycling, yes? For now, I shall continue using cloth napkins instead of paper ones, and use Eneloop batteries for my camera. Surely, I will discover more ways to be kind as I go along.

unchanging

34,950 Points
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Abomination 100

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 am
unchanging
You brought out interesting points.

I never thought of clothes and accessories composition...
I heard that in 2050, we will ran out of oil (petroleum) with this rate of consumption, increasing demand and population.
I wonder when car using fuel will phase out.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 am
My household is very good about recycling paper, plastic, cans, and glass. However, I'm not entirely sure it's very efficient to recycle plastic since I think it gets downcycled due to the combining of different types of plastic.

We also have a hoard of plastic bags that we use as trash bags, carrying knick-knacks, and bulk for packages so the object(s) being mailed don't bounce around and possibly break in transit.

There are a few trash-to-steam plants in some places around where I live. Maybe the plastic could be used for that. confused  

Commander Sigma

Mega Man-Lover

unchanging

34,950 Points
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Abomination 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm
XxAriaxX
unchanging
You brought out interesting points.

I never thought of clothes and accessories composition...
I heard that in 2050, we will ran out of oil (petroleum) with this rate of consumption, increasing demand and population.
I wonder when car using fuel will phase out.
          You should. You would find some interesting results.

For instance, I went to the mall a month ago with friends, and found a pretty pair of floral pants; I call them pants even though they were labelled as jeans because the cotton/spandex ratio said otherwise. An unusual amount of stretch = more akin to leggings.

I doubt the United States (where I hail from) would run out of oil that quickly. If there are no more oil reserves here, you can bet American oil companies will drill elsewhere. Or, they will stick drills into previously secluded areas of nature.

Cars that run on alternative fuels are too expensive for most people to consider, regrettably.
          I remember Leonardo DiCaprio owns an electric car, and the price tag had six digits.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm
Kyoto protocol?

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash