Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm
Hello all!
For a while now I have been referring to myself as non-relgious but spiritual.
I was rasied Catholic and I've dabbled in a few Wiccan things for some time but I don't think those religions are for me. I also do not wish to come off in a negative way with what I am about to say...

You see, I have the same problem with Wicca as I do with Christianity: They both have symbolic-turned-materialistic aspects. Christianity embodies it's values and morals in a God/Jesus along with there symbolic, for lack of a better word(s), "props" and imagery...Wicca as those props too, and they're expensive.

So I have 2 things that I do not like about my previous relgious orientations (I guess you can call them that).

1) The money involved (I admit, I'm am attached to my wallet...I like the security)
2) The use of props for something that I see as purely virtuously and morally based.

I believe that God IS good - not an actualy being... I believe humans make "evil"/ do bad... I do not believe in life after death... I believe it is "good" to view things from a collectivist perspective (working towards the good of the people and not the self.. it's the bigger picture).

Buddhism seems to fit all of my beliefs (minus the second "-" I typed out below). I've only begun to research it. I have a pocketbook of Buddha's teachings. This is what I have gather so far..
Buddhism is:
-anti-materialism
-belief that we are this big bundle of emotion and stuff that changes by the second..we techinquely do not exist? (not sure if I like that idea.)
- Buddhism is NOT reincarnation (although some branches may believe in it).

Any thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 am
I love Buddhism, I feel like it's been my refuge during life's bad times.

This website's learning guide really helped me out:
BuddhaNet's Learning Guide

Anyways, I don't think Buddhism is so much "anti-materialism" as it is, "don't be attached to material objects."

Like, Buddhists can own material objects, but the idea is to understand that one day that object will break or not be yours anymore, and you should never become emotionally attached to things like that. The attachment will basically cause your suffering.

Anyways, now I consider myself more of a mixture of Buddhism and Yoga/Hinduism - I just need more of that God-type spirituality in life, and Buddhism can be very atheistic at times.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Tokki Angelz

Timid Admirer

12,450 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 am
I also love Buddhism ♥ There are always pros and cons about every religion, but I like this one the best :3

All of the branches I've read about talked reincarnation ~ I feel like it's better to live another life than to disappear from existence or be forced into some place for all eternity. I like the idea of cycles (eg. Plants produce fruit, then gets consumed, then decomposes and becomes fertilizer for newborn plants - and this the cycle then starts anew).

We exist and we are suffering because of our desires. To end the suffering, you have to get rid of your ties to material objects and reach Nirvana (the reincarnation cycle ends and you technically won't "exist").

These are just my thoughts of this religion c:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:19 am
Vertigo_Kiwi
I love Buddhism, I feel like it's been my refuge during life's bad times.

I feel the same =) More so, I turn to it's teachings when I face a social/moral dilemma. It definitely helps cool me down and make me feel like I'm in control of things in a way (does that make sense?). =)

This website's learning guide really helped me out:

Thank you for sharing! Looks like a great website! I'll have to thoroughly check it out sometime ^u^

Vertigo_Kiwi
Anyways, I don't think Buddhism is so much "anti-materialism" as it is, "don't be attached to material objects."

Thanks for clarifying! Is the belief about technique not existing true? It's a calming concept, but at the same time it's a wee bit depressing.
Would you know of a branch of Buddhism which doesn't have that belief?

Vertigo_Kiwi
Buddhism can be very atheistic at times.

That's the reason I like it ^u^ Although I can see where a God/afterlife would be comforting versus non-existence.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am
Tokki Angelz
I also love Buddhism ♥ There are always pros and cons about every religion, but I like this one the best :3

All of the branches I've read about talked reincarnation ~ I feel like it's better to live another life than to disappear from existence or be forced into some place for all eternity. I like the idea of cycles (eg. Plants produce fruit, then gets consumed, then decomposes and becomes fertilizer for newborn plants - and this the cycle then starts anew).

We exist and we are suffering because of our desires. To end the suffering, you have to get rid of your ties to material objects and reach Nirvana (the reincarnation cycle ends and you technically won't "exist").

Hmm - thank you for bringing that up! So in the case of my rude roommate I should get rid of my desire for her to be less narrow-minded bully and messy in order to be at peace with myself/her. That's one way to look at it, definitely the simplest solution...I kinda like it =) Saying goes "people will change only if they want to" anyways =)
But at the same time...if she is stuck in that cycle she will never change...but if I worry about that then I'm probably too up in her space about things.

How does Buddhism apply to caring and love? (I suppose I'll Google it in a second)
The way I see it, love/caring is being attached/connected to someone..to be up in their business and to suffer when they do because you are so close to them.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 am
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

Hmm - thank you for bringing that up! So in the case of my rude roommate I should get rid of my desire for her to be less narrow-minded bully and messy in order to be at peace with myself/her. That's one way to look at it, definitely the simplest solution...I kinda like it =) Saying goes "people will change only if they want to" anyways =)
But at the same time...if she is stuck in that cycle she will never change...but if I worry about that then I'm probably too up in her space about things.

How does Buddhism apply to caring and love? (I suppose I'll Google it in a second)
The way I see it, love/caring is being attached/connected to someone..to be up in their business and to suffer when they do because you are so close to them.

I'm not very sure about that either xD I was told that Buddhism really encourages people to respect their parents - they're the people who raised you and they probably suffered the most because of you ~ But that was probably another branch thing LOL In class, we were taught that the first Buddhist was a prince from India who left his family and riches behind to teach Buddhism... But I think you can be love Buddhism without being that extreme ~  

Tokki Angelz

Timid Admirer

12,450 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Love Machine 150

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 am
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

I'm not very sure about that either xD I was told that Buddhism really encourages people to respect their parents - they're the people who raised you and they probably suffered the most because of you ~ But that was probably another branch thing LOL In class, we were taught that the first Buddhist was a prince from India who left his family and riches behind to teach Buddhism... But I think you can be love Buddhism without being that extreme ~

Definitely without being that extreme (hopefully..I like my money...I'm no hog but I like to feel like I not borderline in debt).
So what you're saying is to be closest to the people whom you make suffer? I know my roommate may be a bit jealous..either that or dislike who I am and where I come from - but she is the one bringing suffering on herself because of that, therefore I owe her nothing (not to sound cold).  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 am
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

Definitely without being that extreme (hopefully..I like my money...I'm no hog but I like to feel like I not borderline in debt).
So what you're saying is to be closest to the people whom you make suffer? I know my roommate may be a bit jealous..either that or dislike who I am and where I come from - but she is the one bringing suffering on herself because of that, therefore I owe her nothing (not to sound cold).

I guess it means you should repay back your parents for causing them extra suffering xD Roommate? Well what ever happens, karma will balance things out LOL ~  

Tokki Angelz

Timid Admirer

12,450 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Love Machine 150

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:58 am
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

I guess it means you should repay back your parents for causing them extra suffering xD Roommate? Well what ever happens, karma will balance things out LOL ~
I don't particularly like the spiritual definition of Karma, I do understand that if one does not learn from their mistakes than they will continue making them.
I get what you mean about the parents as well =) Good stuff.
Thanks for all the insight!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:03 am
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

I don't particularly like the spiritual definition of Karma, I do understand that if one does not learn from their mistakes than they will continue making them.

Everyone had their own opinions, it's alright ~
You're very welcome ! yum_puddi  

Tokki Angelz

Timid Admirer

12,450 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Love Machine 150

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz
retro_rage
Tokki Angelz

Everyone had their own opinions, it's alright ~
You're very welcome ! yum_puddi

emotion_hug  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:19 pm
my knowledge on Buddhism is limited to just what my dad follows(he claims to be a christian buddhist which if you ask me is an odd combination but it seems to work for him just fine) and what i learn form, of all things, my Art History 103 class. what i do know of it, it seems like a very peaceful religion and one well worth understanding and learning about if one doesn't wish to follow its practices. some of the art is absolutely beautiful as well. the stories in it about the Buddha's past lives are very interesting as well, not to mention holding useful lessons in them as well.

but like i said, my knowledge on the subject is a bit limited, it is defenitly worth reading about though at the very least  

StrayKit

32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff