Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How to meet LGBT people in a rural area?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dionnysia

Girl-Crazy Trickster

12,425 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 am
I pose this question for everyone here: What are some ways of meeting like-minded people in a community that is basically a bunch of farms and rednecks?

Unfortunately, the area where I am living right now is fairly remote. The nearest big city is an hour away; the nearest communities that have anything of note are thirty minutes away. I'm dying to meet new people to hang out with locally but I don't know how to find them. Any suggestions or ideas that you have are greatly appreciated. emotion_kirakira  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:34 pm
I think schools, especially college is a good place to look- have you had any luck there?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 pm
If where you live is as bad as where I am, then the answer is simple;
you don't.
emotion_donotwant

Well, not exactly. But it's really, really hard; I'm lucky enough to be hated by everyone who is homophobic, so it comes more easily to me because of my restricted 'friendship' options, hahaha. emotion_dealwithit  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 pm
This is a real toughy.

I'm assuming your town has no LGBT resources?

Certainly you aren't the only one but should think that the only way you'll meet any other LGBT individuals would be to find out where they hangout.

Meh, :/ I understand your dilemma all too well.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Evangeline La Rouge

Beloved Giver

8,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 am
Yea right! I know how you feel trust me! Its hard to find an LGBT source anywhere rural. Since most rednecks are all gung-ho anti-gay. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 am
I live in a rural area also, and I've been out for 4 years now, and still don't know how to find like minded people that live around me. DX  

II-Cruel Intentions

Desirable Sex Symbol

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:32 am
Unfortunately the simple reality is that in many rural areas there are no good ways in place for LGBT people to meet one another other than by pure chance. There's a reason so many gay folks gravitate toward cities...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm
I live in the middle of nowhere and The only other gay couple is in their 40s and the rest are way younger than me, But I try to meet people in my area using dating sites like okcupid it's Free and you can make friends and go on a few dates Thats the best advice I have for you! Feel free to chat me up if you get bored heart  

Luna Breeeze

Chatty Fairy

7,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:01 pm
lenon01
If where you live is as bad as where I am, then the answer is simple;
you don't.
emotion_donotwant

From my experience, this. ^
sweatdrop

It's not impossible, but it's a lot easier to meet people when the local population isn't in the double or triple digits.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:32 pm
You don't, lol.

caprizant

Anxious Sophomore

Shameless Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm
I live in corntown hickville. The best way to find people: be open about your sexuality and talk to a lot of people. You'll be surprised how many people you will find who are open minded, closeted homos, and usually a large amount of bisexuals. The biggest problem is everyone is trying to find someone and there's rarely someone open enough to really try.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games