Welcome to Gaia! ::

Digimon: Tamer Island Guild

Back to Guilds

#1 Digimon Guild where you can actually be a Tamer with your very own Digimon. 

Tags: Digimon, Tamer, Island, Digimon Tamer, Tamer Island 

Reply Walter Island (Official Contest Forum)
Monster Mash (Judging)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lief_7
Crew

nuGen Staff Lead

22,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 pm
User Image

Pumpkinmon is worried, more guests showed up than he expected and he's running low on food! Unfortunately the only thing he has in his kitchen is Potatoes!! He needs you help to save the day!

You must devise your own recipe for Monster Mash using Pumpkinmon's Potatoes as the main ingredient. You can use whatever ingredients you would like, but be aware that you should be making something that will appeal to both Monsters and Humans!

Deadline: Oct 30th
Example of recipe used earlier: Goody Bars

Username:
Name of Dish:
Recipe: (please write this in cookbook style)
Picture (optional):
[quote="Lief_7"]Dinner is Served[/quote]

The guests who will Judge the best dish are:
Lief_7
Zadok the 28th
Ultimatemk

Entries:

Quote:
Username: Unitas Persona
Name of Dish: Mashed Boo-tatoes & Squeamish Squash with Rice
Recipe:
Mashed Boo-tatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 large Pumpkinmon's potato per person (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound apiece)
1 tablespoon butter, or more if needed
1/2 cup milk or cream, or more if need
1 ounce cream cheese, optional
Freshly ground black pepper, used to make the eyes

Squeamish Squash with Rice
2 cups water
1 one-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup jasmine rice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Picture (optional):

Mashed Boo-Tatoes

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
Username: The Nameless Nobody
Name of Dish: Spider Sweet Potatoe Flan,
For the Caramal
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
For the flan:
1 large sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), baked until tender then peeled
2 cups half-and-half
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
Spider Web
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions on how to make this.
Flan
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Prepare the caramel: In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Cook over low heat, without stirring, until the syrup turns a medium amber, painting the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush as needed, about 5 minutes. Pour into one large (10-cup) souffle dish or round casserole, and tilt to evenly coat the bottom and slightly up the sides. Set aside.
Prepare the custard: In the bowl of a food processor, process the potatoes. With the machine running, add 1 cup of the half-and-half, and process until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, the remaining 1-cup of half-and-half, the condensed milk, 2/3 cup of water, the vanilla extract, and maple syrup, and mix well.
In another large bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks until frothy. Strain the eggs into the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the sweet potato mixture, whisk well, then transfer to the prepared pan. Place the dish in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 2 hours, or until the custard is mostly set but the center is still slightly wobbly. Remove from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Refrigerate until very cold, at least 6 hours, or overnight. To unmold, run a thin knife around the sides of the custard and invert onto a serving dish. Place Chocolate Spider's Web on top of flan, and present at tableside. Cut into wedges and serve as desired.
Spider Web
Place a 10-inch square of parchment paper or waxed paper on a baking sheet. With a black marker, draw a spider's web that will fit on top of the Sweet Potato Flan.Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, and melt, stirring until smooth. Furl a piece of parchment or waxed paper to make a tight cone. Transfer the melted chocolate to the cone and cut off the bottom tip. Pipe the chocolate onto the parchment paper, tracing the spider's web.Place the baking sheet with the design in the refrigerator or freezer until firm.To serve, gently peel back the paper and transfer the chocolate web to the top of the Sweet Potato Flan.

Picture (optional):User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
Username: John Egbert Thor
Name of Dish: Mashed Snakes
Humans will enjoy the yum aspect and monsters would enjoy the scary aspect.
Recipe:
Ingredients
1 13 cups potato (betty crocker, buds dry)
1 13 cups water
13 cup skim milk
1 tbsp butter (margarine)
12 tsp salt
10 drops food coloring (green)
6 drops food coloring (yellow)
2 pimento (stuffed olives each cut into 4 slices)
4 slices olives (pimiento)

Directions
1. Make mashed potatoes as directed on package, using water, milk, butter and salt.
2. Stir in food colors until color is well blended.
3. Cool 5 minutes.
4. Place mashed potatoes in gallon-size ziploc bag.
5. Cut about 1-inch hole in 1 corner of bag.
6. Pipe 8 “snakes” (about 1/4 cup each) onto serving plates.
7. Cut each olive slice in half; place 2 halves on one end of snake for eyes.
8. Cut each pimiento slice in half; place 2 pieces on end for snake tongue.
9. Serve immediately.

Picture (optional):

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 am
Username: Unitas Persona
Name of Dish: Mashed Boo-tatoes & Squeamish Squash with Rice
Recipe:
Mashed Boo-tatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 large Pumpkinmon's potato per person (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound apiece)
1 tablespoon butter, or more if needed
1/2 cup milk or cream, or more if need
1 ounce cream cheese, optional
Freshly ground black pepper, used to make the eyes

Squeamish Squash with Rice
2 cups water
1 one-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup jasmine rice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Picture (optional):

Mashed Boo-Tatoes

Unitas Persona

Dangerous Lover

8,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Blademaster Banryu

Dapper Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm
[~PLACEHOLDER~]

lief_7

Can you let us know what the deadline is on this? I'll probably have something in before it but just in case it ends up being quicker than I think.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 pm
Blademaster Banryu
[~PLACEHOLDER~]

lief_7

Can you let us know what the deadline is on this? I'll probably have something in before it but just in case it ends up being quicker than I think.

Oh hum... let's make it the 30th so we have time to judge this thing. I want the contest to be over by the first if i can  

lief_7
Crew

nuGen Staff Lead

22,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Gaian 50

Ethan Kirito Soul

Newbie Seeker

6,225 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 pm
Username: The Nameless Nobody
Name of Dish: Spider Sweet Potatoe Flan,
For the Caramal
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
For the flan:
1 large sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), baked until tender then peeled
2 cups half-and-half
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
Spider Web
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions on how to make this.
Flan
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Prepare the caramel: In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Cook over low heat, without stirring, until the syrup turns a medium amber, painting the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush as needed, about 5 minutes. Pour into one large (10-cup) souffle dish or round casserole, and tilt to evenly coat the bottom and slightly up the sides. Set aside.
Prepare the custard: In the bowl of a food processor, process the potatoes. With the machine running, add 1 cup of the half-and-half, and process until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, the remaining 1-cup of half-and-half, the condensed milk, 2/3 cup of water, the vanilla extract, and maple syrup, and mix well.
In another large bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks until frothy. Strain the eggs into the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the sweet potato mixture, whisk well, then transfer to the prepared pan. Place the dish in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 2 hours, or until the custard is mostly set but the center is still slightly wobbly. Remove from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Refrigerate until very cold, at least 6 hours, or overnight. To unmold, run a thin knife around the sides of the custard and invert onto a serving dish. Place Chocolate Spider's Web on top of flan, and present at tableside. Cut into wedges and serve as desired.
Spider Web
Place a 10-inch square of parchment paper or waxed paper on a baking sheet. With a black marker, draw a spider's web that will fit on top of the Sweet Potato Flan.Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, and melt, stirring until smooth. Furl a piece of parchment or waxed paper to make a tight cone. Transfer the melted chocolate to the cone and cut off the bottom tip. Pipe the chocolate onto the parchment paper, tracing the spider's web.Place the baking sheet with the design in the refrigerator or freezer until firm.To serve, gently peel back the paper and transfer the chocolate web to the top of the Sweet Potato Flan.

Picture (optional):User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Lief_7
Dinner is Served

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:39 pm
Username: John Egbert Thor
Name of Dish: Mashed Snakes
Humans will enjoy the yum aspect and monsters would enjoy the scary aspect.
Recipe:
Ingredients
1 13 cups potato (betty crocker, buds dry)
1 13 cups water
13 cup skim milk
1 tbsp butter (margarine)
12 tsp salt
10 drops food coloring (green)
6 drops food coloring (yellow)
2 pimento (stuffed olives each cut into 4 slices)
4 slices olives (pimiento)

Directions
1. Make mashed potatoes as directed on package, using water, milk, butter and salt.
2. Stir in food colors until color is well blended.
3. Cool 5 minutes.
4. Place mashed potatoes in gallon-size ziploc bag.
5. Cut about 1-inch hole in 1 corner of bag.
6. Pipe 8 “snakes” (about 1/4 cup each) onto serving plates.
7. Cut each olive slice in half; place 2 halves on one end of snake for eyes.
8. Cut each pimiento slice in half; place 2 pieces on end for snake tongue.
9. Serve immediately.

Picture (optional):
Lief_7
Dinner is Served

Luigi Egbert

Neophyte Tycoon

9,325 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200

lief_7
Crew

nuGen Staff Lead

22,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 am
-Judging-

Dish 1: 44
Dish 2: 54
Dish 3: 53

Congratulations to Ethan Kirito Soul!

Ethan Kirito Soul

Pumpkinmon! Congratulations!

User Image

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc461/nmch1995/Digimon Gaia/Art For Other People/EthanKiritoSoul_Pumpkinmon.png

1]
Dish Number:1
Appetizing: 2/5
Spooky: 6/10
Originality: 4/10
Inedible: 0/-10
Judging: I found the dish to be fun, but I'm not sure mashed-potatoes were the most creative use of the give ingredients. Seems a little over done, I liked the side dish though. Well done.
Total: 12/25

Dish Number: 1
Appetizing: 3/5
Spooky: 4/10
Originality: 3/10
Inedible: 0/-10 (they can lose points on this one)
Judging: Well it was kind of a nice dish though it is a bit too simple so that took out in originality. I think your second dish though was interesting enough. Well I think all in all its good though you probably could have been more creative.
Total: 10/25

Dish Number: Mashed Boo-tatoes & Squeamish Squash with Rice
Appetizing: 5/5
Spooky: 7/10
Originality: 10/10
Judging: I thought overall that the dish sounded very tasty, and that it seems like a simple home cooked meal! The originality and taste is there, but its not very spooky. Seems like something you would find at a haloween festival type party for kiddo's and not the dark scary spooky side of haloween.
Total: 22/25

2]
Dish Number: 2
Spooky: 3/10
Originality: 9/10
Judging: This was awesome! I love the fact that you decided to take liberties with the kind of potato you were using where as most people would assume it was just a regular old potato. Smart using a sweet potato and making a desert. Very original, very clean looking, well done.
Total: 17/25

Dish Number: 2
Spooky: 2/10
Originality: 8/10
Judging: Well first of all it wasn't that scary since spiderwebs aren't really what you would call spooky. It looks very appetizing though. Flan has always been an excellent meal and actually it was quite a good idea to separate the ingredients needed for each part aka the caramel, choco web and the flan. All in all I think its pretty good especially since you added extra ingredients for making the flan rather than using the typical flan ingredients.
Total: 15/25

Dish Number: Spider Sweet Potatoe Flan
Spooky: 7/10
Judging: Sounds delicious, I really want to try making it, and with all the info given I feel like I can! I think that this dish also struggles a bit in the spooky side of things as I want something more scary and haunting. Something that I would be apprehensive about eating it. Regaurdless though it is a very nice dish!
Total: 22/25

3]
Dish Number: 3
Appetizing: 2/5
Spooky: 8/10
Originality: 5/10
Judging: It was a great execution of the classic mashed-potatoes, you of course lose some originality points for it being mashed-potatoes but it was well done and i like the fun way it was presented in. Also the centipede scared me a bit so points for that. Well done.
Total: 15/25

Dish Number: 3
Appetizing: 1/5
Spooky: 8/10
Originality: 5/10
Judging: Well the fact that they look like bugs make them really freaky and gave you a large spook boost though it also reduced the appetizing effect since I don't think people would normally like to eat bugs especially ones that look so freaky. Its kind off original I guess though maybe you could have used something other than typical mashed potatoes since people always use mashed potatoes when there are a lot of types of potatoes you could have used.
Total: 14/25

Dish Number: Mashed Snakes
Appetizing: 4/5
Spooky: 10/10
Judging: This plate intrigues me! I love the idea of squeezing the potatoes out into little colored snakes, and can definitely see the spook factor there! Great plate overall!
Total: 24/25

Walter Island (Official Contest Forum)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff