View Results

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 pm
I'm of Central American ancestry, but I've always liked the Mexican tradition of building an altar to commemorate deceased loved ones for November 2.

The Catholic calendar is as follows:

October 31, Eve of All Hallows, aka Halloween
November 1, All Hallows', now called All Saints' Day
November 2, Day of All the Dead

The Mexican tradition of the Day of the Dead seems to work as a sort of grief therapy for a lot of people. They talk to their departed loved ones, make them favorite foods to share, serve them a drink or three, set candles to light their way, and generally have a good time instead of despairing at their loved ones' absence.

This description is very simplistic, based mostly on what I put up. For more details, use your Google-Fu, Grasshoppers!

The basic ofrenda (offering) is made up of a three-level altar. The top level holds a candle for every person to whom it's dedicated, along with a picture of the deceased, or a sugar skull with their name inscribed on the forehead if no picture is handy. Incense is placed either at this level or at the lowest level. I place it according to how much space I have.

The middle level holds items reminiscent of the departed's personality, and a few small grooming items (they can be toy-sized) for the departed to refresh themselves after the long journey back from the lands of the dead.

The bottom level holds the deceased's favorite food and drink, along with water to quench their thirst, and a little salt to flavor their food. If they smoked, a cigarette or cigar is also appropriate. In Mexico there's a special bread called pan de muerto made just for this.

Marigolds are the traditional flower set out for the deceased in Mexico, but you can substitute your loved ones' favorites for your own ofrenda.

I hope this little dissertation has been useful, and maybe the links (even if sometimes inappropriate!) have cheered you up a bit.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 am
I blend this into my Samhain ritual every year.. I do my own commemorative on October 30th.. so each Sabbat is 4 days long, but I'd forgotten about this..  

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Sweet Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers