Sinfully Silly

Chatty Informer

8,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 am
Ahh I hope i have the right forum >_<

but but but but but does anyone know how to handle a 4 month old kitten Dx?
He is a crazy little bugger and he has now started jumping to really high places e__e Like he was on top of the air cone the other day Dx and he keeps jumping up onto high place.. and and and and he keeps biting and and scratching people ;w;.. We don't know how to handle him.. we kinda started using a spray bottle with him with vinger and water in it ;w; he still crazy e_eee..
Anyone know how I can handle him ;w;?
His name is Puddles ~

User Image
He may look cute but he ain't ;w;

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 am
I have several questions for you, so bear with me:

Do you have a cat tree he can climb up? Kitties like high places. He needs a place he can go up and down and not worry about the spray.

Also, he's very young, like a 6 year old in people years, so he's full of energy. Biting and scratching is part of play-fighting. Does he have toys? Like a jingly ball he can chase around, or fuzzy mice?

Do you have other animals in the house? He might simply need someone closer to his size to play with. Another kitty, or a doggy, or a ferret, even.

Anything you can tell me will help!  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Sinfully Silly

Chatty Informer

8,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:04 am
Gigi Deveraux

No no tree.. We live in an apartment so he only has a small space.. we kinda live in a country where they are hard to find.

He has toys and plenty of bells but he looses interest in them.. he has a fuzzy mouse and everything.. Even a scratching post which he never touches..

No we don't have any other pets.. My parents won't allow me to get another cat..  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:53 am
Xx_Sinfule_xX

He's a growing cat, he's going to be playful, feisty, and push his limits.
You have to show him dominance so that he knows who is in control while also not being too hard on him and making him fear you.

When Gigi mentioned a cat tree, she meant a cat tree that you can buy for your cat.. which, if you can find one small enough it should fit in your apartment fine.
Cats love high places. They love being up high enough to feel large/dominant and be able to observe the things around them.
My cat loves to sit on top of my refrigerator for some reason. *shrugs* I would really prefer if he didn't go up there, but no amount of punishment has made him stay down, so I just let him sit there sometimes if he wants to (there is nothing there that he can really mess up or anything that can hurt him).

Your kitty needs some kind of toys that catch his interest though! Have you tried toys with feathers or maybe the ones that crinkle like bags? Cats sometimes like toys that dangle on strings. My cats love bags and boxes too! You just have to keep trying out different things until you find something that he likes.

Kittens always play roughly. They, usually, eventually learn to be more gentle and retract their claws when playing, but not always. The best way to help with the pain here, for now, is to keep his claws trimmed. If you don't know how to do it then a vet will usually do it for you. I think it costs about $10-15 extra to get my cats claws trimmed when he has a vet visit.

Lastly, he is a baby, you have to be patient with him. He will still be pushing his limits when he goes into his teen/young adult years.. but even humans are like that. You need to be consistent with what he can and can not do so that he learns what is bad and what isn't. You need to be patient as well as stern so that he knows when he is in trouble and he knows when something is okay for him to do.
Having a pet is a lot of work. It takes a lot of time and patience. They are very lovable when trained correctly, but they are time consuming and will try your patience at times.

My result to keep mine from destroying things while we were away or being lonely/crying when he was alone? We got another cat to keep him company. Since you can't do this, you will have to make sure he has toys and things that he enjoys playing with and you will have to spend time with him and pay attention to him. I'm glad that you decided to get a pet, I just hope that you are prepared to take on the responsibility of owning one.

He looks really big to just be around 4 months btw.. well, except the last picture.. but maybe my cat is just small or something because he was about half (maybe a little over) that size at that age. o-o;;  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Sinfully Silly

Chatty Informer

8,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 am
ll-Frantic-ll

Thanks for the advice.. and I know she meant a cat tree xD! It is just hard to get him one cause of the country I live in. He was kinda a stray little 8 week old kitten when I found him and you could see his ribs... So we kinda fed him 3 times a day and now he is big and fat scream Maybe he a little older then we thought he was when we found him xD!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 am
Xx_Sinfule_xX
ll-Frantic-ll

Thanks for the advice.. and I know she meant a cat tree xD! It is just hard to get him one cause of the country I live in. He was kinda a stray little 8 week old kitten when I found him and you could see his ribs... So we kinda fed him 3 times a day and now he is big and fat scream Maybe he a little older then we thought he was when we found him xD!

He will calm down with time. Trust me. I have FIVE cats at home aged 12, 12, 8, 4 and 1. (We let the oldest one go over the Rainbow Bridge last Maym he was about 15 but very sick...)

If you don't have any place to get a cat tree maybe you can make something? My Grandpa made a scratching post for our first cat with a piece of wooden post, a square piece pf board for a base, and a piece of old carpet to wrap around the post. We still have it, 12 years later.

Maybe if you put a small basket or blanket up on a high place where he won't get into much trouble he'll be less likely to climb up a curtain.

Speaking of which, does he have a favorite blanket or something he licks and works with his paws? Two of our cats do that, because they were taken from their mothers too soon...

EDIT: I almost forgot. Take some of the toys away, then switch the out later so he doesn't get too bored with what he has. A stick with a feather on a string is a great way to play with him and tire him out, but be careful of which way it goes! I got my leg clawed by accident that way. (That HURTS!!)  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Sinfully Silly

Chatty Informer

8,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm
Gigi Deveraux
Xx_Sinfule_xX
ll-Frantic-ll

He will calm down with time. Trust me. I have FIVE cats at home aged 12, 12, 8, 4 and 1. (We let the oldest one go over the Rainbow Bridge last Maym he was about 15 but very sick...)

If you don't have any place to get a cat tree maybe you can make something? My Grandpa made a scratching post for our first cat with a piece of wooden post, a square piece pf board for a base, and a piece of old carpet to wrap around the post. We still have it, 12 years later.

Maybe if you put a small basket or blanket up on a high place where he won't get into much trouble he'll be less likely to climb up a curtain.

Speaking of which, does he have a favorite blanket or something he licks and works with his paws? Two of our cats do that, because they were taken from their mothers too soon...

EDIT: I almost forgot. Take some of the toys away, then switch the out later so he doesn't get too bored with what he has. A stick with a feather on a string is a great way to play with him and tire him out, but be careful of which way it goes! I got my leg clawed by accident that way. (That HURTS!!)

D: Sorry for your cat being sick! He has a mouse toy he loves o-e sometimes he plays with a laser I got keeps him happy for about half an hour.. He sometimes scratches my towel mat in my bathroom.. Err no blanket.. but he has a thing for climbing up my leg when I was wearing jeans (ouch) x)x and like i said he likes clawing at my towel mat sometimes my lapotop case e__e.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 am
Xx_Sinfule_xX

I was just making sure. XD
You could probably order one online if you have no where to buy one and no way to make one for him.
Gigi has some good advice too. ^_^;

Aww, I'm glad you took him in. You most likely saved the little guys life. ^_^;
He could have just been small for his age and his growth picked up when he started getting better nutrition, or he could be large for his age.. or he could even just be the right size. XD
My cats both came from the shelter, so there's a chance that Orion (the boy) is just a small cat. The vet said that his growth could have been stunted depending on his condition before he was taken to the shelter, while he was there, etc. I guess the fact that he was sick when we adopted him probably factors in there as well. My other cat is almost double his size. ^^;;  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Dankies

Chatty Autobiographer

4,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 pm
gaia_diamond My lil kitten is a terror too!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:41 pm
My cat is still like that... and he's 3 now.
He's the one in my signature

I swear he is possessed sometimes...  

JulietRawR666

Invisible Loiterer

12,100 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:44 pm
Little red dot heart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 pm
We got my cat to play with his toys by rubbing treats/cat n** on them so they would have the scent of the treats/n**. He started going crazy over his toys after we did it, maybe it would work for your cat too? mrgreen  

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 am
Well, there is a thing to keep in mind about cats - especially kittens:

Kittens are playful little creatures. They will want to explore, they don't have sense of discipline yet because that's your job to help them with that one, and they need to scratch things. I have known many kittens that use people as their scratching post because they are being playful or perhaps don't like their scratching post if they even have one. Cats have different personalities - some are more obnoxious than others.

When my cats jump in high places...well, I usually let them and find a way to move stuff around so they don't get hurt jumping on top of things because a spray bottle doesn't work because they love the water and I'm not comfortable putting in citrus or anything else because I'm afraid of that getting in their nose or eyes.

Some people have said that sitting a non-toxic fruit that is citrus on near the places they like to jump - just slice the fruit and squeeze it a little and leave the slices in a dish so it's a little less appealing. I find that some cats also hate peppermint.

If you don't have a scratching post - it's a good idea to get one because cats will claw anything and everything else to fulfill that scratching need of theirs.

Kittens are playful and some cats play more rough than others. When you say, "No," to a cat make sure it's a firm, "No!" not a high pitched sounding, "No," accompanied by giggles because that just doesn't cut it.

Some cats that bite and scratch and get aggressive around people are either an aggressive breed, or they need more space than other cats might. If you can afford it - a cat tower is a fantastic investment and it can keep them busy.

I find that sometimes when cats act out and do undesirable behaviors like shred the toilet paper or climb in cabinets - they are bored and are only wanting attention at that point and act out because they aren't getting appropriate attention. Buy some cat toys that you can use to play with the cat and make sure it's safe for your cat. Some toys suited for cats may not be appropriate for your cat (because some cats try and eat anything and everything and can't handle small jingle bells or thin strings or glued on plastic/felt eye balls). Get a toy that has a stick and maybe a thick material so you can move it and they can chase so it's interactive in that sense 3nodding

I hope something works out ^_^  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff