Submit

zerodeoxys

Eloquent Mage

17,900 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 am
That's not really what it's called but given what it's made of, it pretty much is.

The treat of which I am referring too is called Potato candy, it's a family recipe(at least I think it is, haven't found it any cook books or such). While I do know the recipe and will be giving it to you for those who dare to eat it, do not try to until I've made sure it is correct(not too confident on how right I have it).

But first, the names, starting with the "Diabetic Shocks" name.

This stuff, this stuff is like 85% pure sugar, sugar is used in most of the steps. Eating more then two or three of these (depending on your sugar-tolerance) will make you feel sick for a few minutes. Eat this at your own risk, Keep away from any one who is Diabetic cause I'm sure contact alone would send them into shock.

As for why it's called Potato candy.

It uses a potato in it, how many other candies do you know of that use potatos? What sweets use spuds? Very very few, hell I don't know of any others.

Now for the recipe.

-First, you take one small-ish potato, one that fits in the palm of your hand.
-Now take this potato and peel it.
-Next, put it in a pot of water and boil it till it's very tender, tender enough that if you poked it with a fork and pulled straight up it would stay in the pot
-after pulling the potato out you'll want to dice it up and put it into a big bowl for stirring
here comes the neat part
-get out two bags of powdered sugar, open one and put a cup of powdered sugar in the bowl
-stir and be amazed as the potato liquefies, stir till consistently mixed
-next, add another cup and stir tilled mixed
-add another cup and stir till mixed
-you'll want to repeat this several times(opening the second bag of sugar if needed(most likely)) till the stuff has the consistency of bread or cookie dough.
now you'll want a clean counter for this part
-spread some powdered sugar on your nice clean counter like you would flour
-lump the dough in the middle and flatten out with a rolling pin like you would with cookie dough, add powdered sugar to the counter as needed
-now get your self a jar of peanut butter (I recommended creamy, haven't tried it with crunchy but in my head that sounds a bit like a bad idea with this soft stuff) and spread it on as thick as you like.
-now roll it up with the peanut butter on the inside
-take a piece of thin string and use it to cut the roll into pieces, about as a little thinner a peppermint should do, your choice.

Vola you now have a sugary treat that can kill. It can be eaten when it's fresh and gooey or you and put it in the fridge and let it cool for something cool and crunchy. Again, don't eat too many, you'll get sick.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 am
That's a peanut butter roll, dear. ^_^;
There are actually a few candies that use 'odd' ingredients like potatoes and cheese. This recipe can also be made by substituting the potato and some of the sugar with vanilla cake frosting. You are right though, it is very sweet. 3nodding  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

zerodeoxys

Eloquent Mage

17,900 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 am
ll-Frantic-ll
That's a peanut butter roll, dear. ^_^;
There are actually a few candies that use 'odd' ingredients like potatoes and cheese. This recipe can also be made by substituting the potato and some of the sugar with vanilla cake frosting. You are right though, it is very sweet. 3nodding
Well I was raised with it being called potato candy so it's what I've called it for a long time. I'll keep the alternate recipe in mind, it sounds interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:17 am
zerodeoxys
Well I was raised with it being called potato candy so it's what I've called it for a long time. I'll keep the alternate recipe in mind, it sounds interesting.

It's fine, it doesn't really matter which name it's called by, I was just letting you know about the other version and name for the recipe. ^_^;
It's really only called potato candy if it follows the recipe that you gave. (=
.. though, the main reason for calling it 'potato candy' is because of the potato used in making it so it's easy to get it confused with other 'potato candy' recipes when using that name. wink

Here is a recipe for the one you posted, since you weren't completely sure of your measurements. ^^
http://www.southernplate.com/2010/12/old-fashioned-potato-candy.html

And here is the alternate recipe that I mentioned. XD
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,167,155166-229196,00.html
.. except, the recipe I use comes from a recipe book (I can't find it online) and uses only 1 jar of frosting and the rest sugar. So it's just frosting, sugar, and peanut butter. Basically, it's a no cook version of the other recipe.  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

zerodeoxys

Eloquent Mage

17,900 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
ll-Frantic-ll
zerodeoxys

It's fine, it doesn't really matter which name it's called by, I was just letting you know about the other version and name for the recipe. ^_^;
It's really only called potato candy if it follows the recipe that you gave. (=
.. though, the main reason for calling it 'potato candy' is because of the potato used in making it so it's easy to get it confused with other 'potato candy' recipes when using that name. wink

Here is a recipe for the one you posted, since you weren't completely sure of your measurements. ^^
http://www.southernplate.com/2010/12/old-fashioned-potato-candy.html

And here is the alternate recipe that I mentioned. XD
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,167,155166-229196,00.html
.. except, the recipe I use comes from a recipe book (I can't find it online) and uses only 1 jar of frosting and the rest sugar. So it's just frosting, sugar, and peanut butter. Basically, it's a no cook version of the other recipe.

ah ok, thank you and thank you for the links ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 am
zerodeoxys
ah ok, thank you and thank you for the links ^^

Np and yw. 3nodding  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking