Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Economic Recovery: The Rebirth of a Crafting America

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Gauge

Amorous Paladin

14,400 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm
There was once a time when many more Americans made things by hand: everything from lunch boxes and toys to tools used by emergency crews. Today, these past American-made items can go anywhere from four dollars, to thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars! Why? Because they're uncommon or rare now. America started importing their toys and cars and exporting jobs. Antique, American-made toys hearken back to an era with many possibilities for American trade and jobs.

America today, has seen economic suffering. We owe China money. Jobs have been hard to find and fewer in between. At the expense of one person gaining a job, quite a few times, people have lost their own. Demand is down because the income backing it has been down. While there has been a slow recovery and we can't expect economic recovery to happen too quickly, there just might be a way for us to build the income we needs now and keep jobs in America: creating those jobs ourselves!

Crafting! Farmers build their incomes through the growth, regulation, care, and distribution of products grown from the ground up. Just like them, we can do something besides sit around after getting turned down from jobs time after time: create and build products or services that other people need that has reasonable demand.

After all this political talk and debate, it's clear that what america is looking for is a leader that can help grow and recover America's economy. America is tired and it's time we did more about it. What do you think? Is returning to a home-crafted America logical? Would it make a difference if we did? How can we, as American citizens build the American economy up even when the jobs are slim pickings?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm
if companies had a limit on expansion rather then capitol gain, i think there is something to that idea. getting more involved in what we make would open up the doors to jobs and increased skills and understanding.
but i think it would cut the price on antiques since it's not a lost art anymore. those items would just be valued based on their age.
i also think it would open the doors to forced increased hours rather then forced multiple jobs. right now, a lot of people have to have two or more jobs just to live paycheck to paycheck. hand crafting would be a different form of that. to meet the demands of all the people that want that product, people would have to increase the hours they work at one job. that would just be going back to a form of factory work.

what i think we need is a balance of the whole thing. since money is determined based on what we put a value on, we can actually say a dollar is valued at anything. if there's a surplus, prices go down. a shortage makes prices go up. it's all about needs of the people. that said, i think we couldn't easily just say money has no value, and wipe any dept clean. put people back to work in crafting. that would open up more jobs. the advancements that stopped that can still be achieved, but in different areas. if there's a shortage of a product that is known to happen, then focus the advancements on a substitute while that item becomes available again. give and take.  

spearquest

Aged Streaker

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces