Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pumpkins good: for gold!
  Yeah!
View Results

HimeFiveCents

Overcharged Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:37 pm
Hey, so I'm interested in starting a little pumpkin patch. Does anyone know much about growing pumpkins? Is there still time to plant anything or should I wait til next season? And how long do pumpkin seeds stay good? I live in southern AZ, climate is dry. Any advice would help, since I've never grown pumpkins myself smile I'm not particularly overly fond of the pumpkin persay, honestly I just love the way they look! (lol is that weird? it sounds weird rofl ) And pie is always nice... but I'm getting side-tracked. Thanks in advance for your help! ^_-  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 am
Dagera

Mmmm... roasted pumpkin seeds. Bonus points if they're hulled!

As for growing them, I think it's too late in the year to start but I have no idea of what your climate is like.

The USDA has a map of growing areas known as hardiness zones. The newest edition can be found here, and you can use that information to find out when and where in your state is the best time to plant pumpkins.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

HimeFiveCents

Overcharged Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 am
Gigi Deveraux

Mmmm... roasted pumpkin seeds. Bonus points if they're hulled!

You got my vote on that one! Mmm emotion_drool I've got a nice stock from the tiny pumpkin I carved for Halloween this year. (that tiny pumpkin was packing some serious seedage lol) I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and roast 'em or try to plant them. The cold front has moved in down here (finally) so I'm guessing its too late... aww crying

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm
Dagera

You got my vote on that one! Mmm emotion_drool I've got a nice stock from the tiny pumpkin I carved for Halloween this year. (that tiny pumpkin was packing some serious seedage lol) I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and roast 'em or try to plant them. The cold front has moved in down here (finally) so I'm guessing its too late... aww crying

Oh, go ahead and roast them. That pumpkin was probably a commercial hybrid (not that there's anything wrong with that, unless it's a GMO Frankenpumpkin!) so it won't breed true.

If you want seeds for planting (and growing your own seeds after harvesting) try the Hudson Valley Seed Library. Their holiday catalog was just posted.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm
I actually just read on pinterest that you can take a pumpkin, cut the top and instead of gutting it, fill with soil.

The seeds are already in there, so you'd grow out of the pumpkin!

Late May is starting season in northern states, and early July for extreme southern states.

http://www.almanac.com/plant/pumpkins  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:26 pm
tip for the pumpkins that are round all around (sono flat sides):
once a week, rotate

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

HimeFiveCents

Overcharged Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:33 am
Gigi Deveraux

Oh, go ahead and roast them. That pumpkin was probably a commercial hybrid (not that there's anything wrong with that, unless it's a GMO Frankenpumpkin!) so it won't breed true.

I don't believe its Frankenpumpkin *cringes* but you never know! Especially 'round here! I was wondering about that too whether they would even grow, thanks so much for that info! ^_-

Faebella

Yeah, my bf, suggested just planting a whole pumpkin said he had some friends who did that and grew themselves a little patch! July sounds right for my area.

Kitalpha Hart

Do you mean after planting them whole rotate the whole pumpkin?

Coolness, guys thanks for all the advice and the links! You guys are awesome! I bought another pumpkin for thanksgiving I'll roast those seeds with the halloween one! We're having pumpkin seeds this thanksgiving! lol yeah! And then next year I'll start growing. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am
Dagera
Gigi Deveraux

I don't believe its Frankenpumpkin *cringes* but you never know! Especially 'round here! I was wondering about that too whether they would even grow, thanks so much for that info! ^_-

Faebella

Yeah, my bf, suggested just planting a whole pumpkin said he had some friends who did that and grew themselves a little patch! July sounds right for my area.

Kitalpha Hart

Do you mean after planting them whole rotate the whole pumpkin?

Coolness, guys thanks for all the advice and the links! You guys are awesome! I bought another pumpkin for thanksgiving I'll roast those seeds with the halloween one! We're having pumpkin seeds this thanksgiving! lol yeah! And then next year I'll start growing. 3nodding

yeah, when the actual pumpkin is growing owo
just try not to snap the vine on accident~  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

MiracleRayray2

Blessed Warrior

7,825 Points
  • Member 100