Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Stabilizing in the Worst Way Possible

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am
A few months ago I was diagnosed with a form of bipolar disorder, however for some odd reason my doctor decided that it wasn't that serious and didn't give me medication or refer me to a psychiatrist. Since then I've been getting less manic states, however the neutral state has been slowly getting corrupted to be depressed and the states have been changing less often.

There goes any theory that it wasn't a big issue..  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm
maybe he thinks you should work on your depression on your own without meds for right now. i know its hard but it can be done, not in all cases but in quite a few you can make your depression go away or at least make is easier to keep in check  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 pm
Are you able to make another appointment to talk with your doctor? Even if he or she doesn't feel that you should try medication yet, if you are having trouble dealing with the symptoms, you should definitely ask for a referral to a mental health professional for further help.

I was initially diagnosed with bipolar disorder a little more than 10 years ago, and I spent more than half of that time bouncing from one doctor to another to another, on and off a half-dozen or more different meds, with zero follow-up or therapy. (The blame there mostly lies with both the healthcare system in my home province, and the isolated area in which I grew up; doctors came and went almost yearly, because no one wanted to practice there.)

Fortunately, within the past couple of years I've been living in a city, and I've been able to get consistent treatment, including several months in an in-patient program for youth with mental illness.
After much trial and error, we've come to the conclusion that I do indeed require medication to manage my illness, but just being able to consistently follow up with the same doctors has easily been just as beneficial (if not more so) than the drugs I take.

It's true that not everyone requires medication to manage their mental illness. Many, many people experience periods of depression; some deal with it for the entire lives. Although these episodes can be very serious, painful episodes, they may find ways to cope without needing to take pills, especially if their illness isn't chronic or particularly persistent. The necessary treatment depends on the person, their symptoms (and the severity of their symptoms), and the frequency of their episodes.

Dealing with bipolar disorder, rather than depression, can be more complicated, since you can't just treat the symptoms of depression; you also have to consider the manic episodes. One of the problems I dealt with early on was that I was prescribed anti-depressants only. These did help take the edge off the severe depressive episodes, but they also increased the severity and frequency of my manic episodes.

I currently take both an anti-depressant and a mood stabilizer. (Zoloft and Lamictal, specifically.) I still experience some depression, but the manic states are very rare now, and thanks to my doctor, I've learned to better recognize my symptoms and deal with them more effectively. I've also found that I'm much more stable when I get plenty of sleep (and have a regular sleep schedule in general).

Shanna66
maybe he thinks you should work on your depression on your own without meds for right now. i know its hard but it can be done, not in all cases but in quite a few you can make your depression go away or at least make is easier to keep in check

razz Do you know how often people say this (or something similar) to others who are dealing with depression or another mental illness? Those offering the advice mean well, and it's awesome that they want to help, but...

The problem with statements like that is the implication that the depressed person just needs to try harder to cheer up. Unsurprisingly, there's never any suggestion as to how one would magically achieve this. It's well-intentioned, but at best, this so-called advice is meaningless, and at worst, it both trivializes mental illness and perpetuates the idea that you shouldn't need to seek help to overcome depression, whether it be through therapy or medication.

It would be unwise and downright dangerous to tell someone with, say, type 1 diabetes to try and deal with their illness alone. It can be just as dangerous (and lethal) for someone with bipolar disorder to do the same.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:23 pm
Taeryyn
Are you able to make another appointment to talk with your doctor? Even if he or she doesn't feel that you should try medication yet, if you are having trouble dealing with the symptoms, you should definitely ask for a referral to a mental health professional for further help.

I was initially diagnosed with bipolar disorder a little more than 10 years ago, and I spent more than half of that time bouncing from one doctor to another to another, on and off a half-dozen or more different meds, with zero follow-up or therapy. (The blame there mostly lies with both the healthcare system in my home province, and the isolated area in which I grew up; doctors came and went almost yearly, because no one wanted to practice there.)

Fortunately, within the past couple of years I've been living in a city, and I've been able to get consistent treatment, including several months in an in-patient program for youth with mental illness.
After much trial and error, we've come to the conclusion that I do indeed require medication to manage my illness, but just being able to consistently follow up with the same doctors has easily been just as beneficial (if not more so) than the drugs I take.

It's true that not everyone requires medication to manage their mental illness. Many, many people experience periods of depression; some deal with it for the entire lives. Although these episodes can be very serious, painful episodes, they may find ways to cope without needing to take pills, especially if their illness isn't chronic or particularly persistent. The necessary treatment depends on the person, their symptoms (and the severity of their symptoms), and the frequency of their episodes.

Dealing with bipolar disorder, rather than depression, can be more complicated, since you can't just treat the symptoms of depression; you also have to consider the manic episodes. One of the problems I dealt with early on was that I was prescribed anti-depressants only. These did help take the edge off the severe depressive episodes, but they also increased the severity and frequency of my manic episodes.

I currently take both an anti-depressant and a mood stabilizer. (Zoloft and Lamictal, specifically.) I still experience some depression, but the manic states are very rare now, and thanks to my doctor, I've learned to better recognize my symptoms and deal with them more effectively. I've also found that I'm much more stable when I get plenty of sleep (and have a regular sleep schedule in general).

Shanna66

razz Do you know how often people say this (or something similar) to others who are dealing with depression or another mental illness? Those offering the advice mean well, and it's awesome that they want to help, but...

The problem with statements like that is the implication that the depressed person just needs to try harder to cheer up. Unsurprisingly, there's never any suggestion as to how one would magically achieve this. It's well-intentioned, but at best, this so-called advice is meaningless, and at worst, it both trivializes mental illness and perpetuates the idea that you shouldn't need to seek help to overcome depression, whether it be through therapy or medication.

It would be unwise and downright dangerous to tell someone with, say, type 1 diabetes to try and deal with their illness alone. It can be just as dangerous (and lethal) for someone with bipolar disorder to do the same.

i dont mean to be rude so please keep this in mind when reading my response smile

some people do just need to try harder to be happy. not everyone needs to be on meds. im not sure if i have actual depression or not since ive never talked to anyone about it, but i think i might because of the amount of times ive played around with the idea of just not living anymore. but what has helped me get through those low moments is to set up my day so i dont have time to think about all the bad stuff ive been through. i make a point at the end of every single day to think about all the good things that happened that day, even if its as small as making all the green lights on the way to work.

when i say "try harder" im not saying it just to be nice, im saying it because it has saved my life more than once

of course i do have those moments where i feel even worse about myself because no matter how hard i try i still just dont want to be here anymore, but other than those moments that only pop up when im at my lowest making a point to be happy has helped me alot

and i dont mean "oh just try to be happy and get over it", im sure talking to a doctor would be the best thing if someone really thinks they have depression, but as i said, ive never talked to anyone about it in real life so i can only say what has helped me survive  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 pm
Shanna66
i dont mean to be rude so please keep this in mind when reading my response smile

some people do just need to try harder to be happy. not everyone needs to be on meds. im not sure if i have actual depression or not since ive never talked to anyone about it, but i think i might because of the amount of times ive played around with the idea of just not living anymore. but what has helped me get through those low moments is to set up my day so i dont have time to think about all the bad stuff ive been through. i make a point at the end of every single day to think about all the good things that happened that day, even if its as small as making all the green lights on the way to work.

when i say "try harder" im not saying it just to be nice, im saying it because it has saved my life more than once

of course i do have those moments where i feel even worse about myself because no matter how hard i try i still just dont want to be here anymore, but other than those moments that only pop up when im at my lowest making a point to be happy has helped me alot

and i dont mean "oh just try to be happy and get over it", im sure talking to a doctor would be the best thing if someone really thinks they have depression, but as i said, ive never talked to anyone about it in real life so i can only say what has helped me survive

It doesn't come off as the least bit rude, so no worries. 3nodding

I appreciate you having taken the time to flesh out what you meant by your original post. As I said in my own post, we're both in agreement that not everyone requires medication. Having a positive attitude and appreciating the good things in one's life can certainly be helpful when managing an illness, whether it's physical or mental, so we're also in agreement there.

My point was more that it's extremely frustrating to essentially be told to "think positive" and "try harder to be happy" when you're already trying as hard as you can just to get through the day, especially since this sentiment is expressed so incredibly frequently. It's ... as if the person saying it just assumes that you're just being pessimistic and gloomy, when in fact you are ill and are already trying your best to manage the symptoms. sweatdrop I do understand now that you're speaking from your own experience, and that's good to know. I'm obviously doing the same, and that's precisely why I would advise anyone with any form of BPD to get help as soon as they think they might need it, rather than later.

Anyway, I am very happy to hear that "making a point to be happy" is effective for you. I wouldn't wish depression (or bipolar disorder) on anyone, so it's really cheering to hear of people who successfully deal with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 pm
Due to the fact my mother lost her job, we have no health care at all. So unless medicine and doctor's appointments get a lot cheaper I may not be able to see a psychiatrist at all unless I manage to get onto the government health care.  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:55 pm
That really sucks. sad

Hmm.

Are you a student? I know some schools have resources available, counselling and whatnot, for students. My high-school didn't (too small), but my university did. Similarly, is there perhaps a youth resource centre in your town or city? I know it isn't exactly on par with psychiatric treatment, but sometimes just talking to someone objective can be very helpful.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm
Currently I go to a community college. They have a counseling service but I'm not sure how good they are. I don't know about city services, but I'm guessing they won't be free..  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:43 pm
I was dubious about the service offered at my university, but it was immensely helpful. If there are city services available, it would at least be worth looking into. They may not be free (or available at all), but you won't know unless you check. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 pm
Alien dude2

I know you may not know me but im here to talk to if yuou want ive been having rough thoughts lately and Taeryyn helped me out and i feel i need to help another person in order to thank him i know its cheesy an all just feel the sudden urge to help  

Meister_Solstice

Generous Guildsman

6,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 pm
I have a feeling all the services that isn't tied to the college requires health insurance. I'm planning to schedule a meeting with the counseling service when I'm not busy as hell..

Apparently my dad is going to get health insurance in two weeks though with his new job, so when that happens I'm going to talk to a neurologist as well as get medicine.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm
Hopefully we get to know each other more. I looked up Taeryyn and couldn't find anything by the way

Meister_Solstice

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm
Darn, that sucks. I wish I could say I was surprised. Funding for mental health services (especially for youth) is in short supply in most places, it seems. sad

In any case, I do wish you the best of luck with the counselling (and school in general). If you need to talk, please feel free to post here, or shoot me a PM if you want.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 pm
Not sure if its good or bad that it turned into Unipolar Depression. Now would be a very good time for my parents to have me see a psychiatrist, however they appear busy with other things (fixing the house (in January), farmville, office politics, retarded soap opreas on TV, depressing pictures of animals, building a super light aircraft...)  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces